Thread: Caliber Change

Basic Member

Caliber Change

Went out to shop and decided to change barrel on one of my rifles. Wanted to put on 30-06 but didnít want to take the 25-06 barrel off the 111 as it is shooting well tight now. So I took the 22-250 Axis and used it, took about an hour to take scope off, swap barrels and put scope back on. Left is torquing everything, bore sighting and shooting. Hit head spacing on first try and checked 3 or 4 times to be sure something didnít move as I tightened everything down. Also changed stocks as I have a heavy barrel stock that I have added weight in for the long action barrels so whole setup will weigh about 9 pounds. Not recoil sensitive but donít have to walk very far to stand and a little extra weight makes easier shooting on old shoulders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome Wayne! I want to know your thoughts after load workup and a season behind you. I feel your pain in the shoulders my Razorback brother.
    One Cannot Be PC And Be Intellectually Honest!

Basic Member
    Robin Hood,
    Not much to work up a load when you buy off the shelf ammo. I waited too long to get in reloading game and at almost 77 not gonna start now. I shoot Hornady American Whitetail in my other calibers and thatís what I have in 30-06. Tightened, torqued and bore sighted today and if wind is not blowing going to try and shoot tomorrow.

Basic Member
    By the way fully dressed with scope and sling it came in just under 9 pounds.

Basic Member
    Shot the 30-06 build today, pleased with the outcome. After bore sight shot at 25 yards, was about inch low and 7 inches left so adjusted scope to move to right and left height where it was. Two more shots were about inch low but in line so moved to 100 yards and 3 shots less than 1.5 inches apart, will go back and fine tune scope and call it done.

Basic Member

Three shots at 100 yards using Hornady American Whitetail 150 grain ammo. Bore sighted with one right to left adjustment at 25 yards, will go back and fine tune and call it done.

That american whitetail is decent stuff. A lot of people shoot it with great success. Good luck and thanks for the updates.
    One Cannot Be PC And Be Intellectually Honest!