Thread: Drilling into a HS Precision stock???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    another idea. use 1/2 aluminum square stock the length of the rod you want to be held in the stock to make bushing. Drill and tap shallow holes #10 oe # 8 screw in the four corners on one side of the

Test drill from top and bottom to locate the aluminum bedding block. Look for aluminum shavings to determine depth. Mill on the side that gives you room for half inch aluminum square stock and still be able to fill and sand to the original contour ....if possible. mill milling a half inch spot/key 1/8th inch the bedding block. Drill 4 screws holes on each end/corner of the square bushing to match tapped holes.

Mount and fill. Epoxy mount in the bushing. this will make your project bullet proof and could be done on any mill with some good cribbing and a good vice.
    i think i follow what you are saying.
    That said, i know where the aluminum is at this point as the swivel stud holes are drilled all the way thru to the barrel channel and the aluminum is the only part threaded for the screws. So pushing the screw in from the barrel channel and from under the stock confirms its about dead center. Only about 1/8th inch closer to the barrel channel, not leaving enough room to go above, or below the aluminum reinforcement. It will have to be embedded into the aluminum as well. That is why im thinking mill the channel (from the barrel channel side) instead of drilling/boring. This way i can leave about 1/8" of aluminum untouched to jb weld the spigot to. then drill and tap the spigot to accept the very same swivel studs. Fill in the channel and finish the stock cosmedicaly. Then the two swivel studs screw into the spigot bar, sandwiching at least some of the original aluminum support between the stock and spigot. So kinda double duty. I know a mill can accomplish this task in just a few minutes. the rest i can do at home. Currently this is my plan. Unless my machinist friend has a better idea

going to be a lot of work just for a bipod lol. But when you want something that does not exist.......

thinking about selling the HS Precision stock or trading for an Oryx Savage long action chassis. I know there are other options out there, i just don't care for them. So i'm strongly considering getting the Oryx, milling out the magwell to fit my CIP 3.85 magazine size (it is only cut for 3.715), installing my bipod spigot into the forend, and getting rid of the ugly green panels for some plain black ones. So far everyone i've bought the rifle to refuses to even give it a try out of fear of destroying the stock. Im quickly falling out of love with the stock anyway. So this might be the direction im headed with this build. $400 for a new Oryx. I can get that for my HS stock for sure.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nathantc View Post
    i think i follow what you are saying.
    That said, i know where the aluminum is at this point as the swivel stud holes are drilled all the way thru to the barrel channel and the aluminum is the only part threaded for the screws. So pushing the screw in from the barrel channel and from under the stock confirms its about dead center. Only about 1/8th inch closer to the barrel channel, not leaving enough room to go above, or below the aluminum reinforcement. It will have to be embedded into the aluminum as well. That is why im thinking mill the channel (from the barrel channel side) instead of drilling/boring. This way i can leave about 1/8" of aluminum untouched to jb weld the spigot to. then drill and tap the spigot to accept the very same swivel studs. Fill in the channel and finish the stock cosmedicaly. Then the two swivel studs screw into the spigot bar, sandwiching at least some of the original aluminum support between the stock and spigot. So kinda double duty. I know a mill can accomplish this task in just a few minutes. the rest i can do at home. Currently this is my plan. Unless my machinist friend has a better idea

going to be a lot of work just for a bipod lol. But when you want something that does not exist.......
    This should be rather easy to do with a Horizontal end mill and an extended bit to get the depth than you need. Using a milling bit, you don't need to worry about it drifting if you aren't centered on the bedding block.

Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
    This should be rather easy to do with a Horizontal end mill and an extended bit to get the depth than you need. Using a milling bit, you don't need to worry about it drifting if you aren't centered on the bedding block.
    i would agree, trouble is no one around here with the proper tooling is willing to either work on anything firearm related, or take the risk of destroying the stock. I simply don't have the machining tools to do it myself and i fear my drill press is just not in anyway going to help me here. I can 100% guarantee the spigot is larger in diameter than the thickness of the aluminum. Clearly the spigot could be turned down some. So plunge milling would work just fine if it can be done so at that dept. Milling a deep channel inside the barrel channel would probably work too as long as some aluminum is left behind for me to use the 2 swivel studs to (bolt) the spigot to the bedding block then glass fill the channel. My issue is no one local is willing to give it a go. I know im being stubborn but if i cannot get the set up i want with this stock, ill replace it with one i personally can modify to my liking. Just a real bummer at this point.

This marks the end of this idea.
    I ordered a ORYX chassis.
    going to mill out the magwell .135" to accommodate the 3.85 CIP magazine, then embed the bipod spigot to the chassis like i had planned for the HS stock. Going to custom cerakote the aluminum part of the chassis and the barreled action in a semi-gloss black. Then hydroprint the ugly green plastic in a dark green/grey carbon fiber with a semi-gloss cerakote clear over the top.

I think this will be 100% what im wanting, and quite beautiful.

Once the ORYX arrives im thinking of selling the HS Precision tactical stock and savage CIP bottom metal. Just trying to figure out what both are currently worth.

txhillbilly,

I have got to see one of them horizontal end mills. :)
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.