Thread: Waiting on my new to me 110L in 243 Win with Pics

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Mine is 30-06 and do shoot it but not often. As you can imagine, at just 7lbs (including scope) and wearing a metal butt plate, it's not very pleasant from the bench. That said, the connection to my dad and the fact the rifle is one of the first 100 produced, it always makes me smile.
    I get that. Was talking with a friend the other day about recoil on the bench. Awesome that it's the original cal and in the first 100.

Quote Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
    Looks like a Balvar8. They're pretty nice scopes. Best of their time. The adjustable ones especially sometimes have some small flecks inside that can be annoyance but does not inhibit their use. The American Rifleman tested one by dismounting it from the adjustable mounts, smacking against the leg of a chair, and then remounting it. It was reported to hold zero and function was not inhibited.
    It seemed pretty clean when I looked through it, hope it's as clear as I think it was.

Based on your handle, you are really into these scopes, or ?

Team Savage
    They're pretty neat. I especially like the big 6-24 model.

Team Savage

Though not currently on the rifle (removed to deep clean the action) I put a Balvar 8B 2.5 - 8 x 36 on it around '73 - '75. Still an awesome scope today.

Team Savage
    My 1960 110 is now wearing a M8 Leupold 6x36 from 1976. It really is amazing how good those scopes are for their age. The 70's were when they had started to figure out lens coatings, and the top optics from those years are still very good compared to what's made today.

Team Savage
    I threw a Balvar24 on my 112V in 243. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

OK well I picked it up and need to post up some photos. When we tried the "safety check" at the shop ( part of California rules...) we could not chamber a cheap AZOOM snap cap. Bolt was just shy of closing. Will clean it up and clean the chamber and check back.

I do have a set of .243 Win dies and some brass, I will resize some of the brass I have acquired and check back in. I do not have any other chamber gauges, just the drop in Lyman gauge for loaded rounds.

Sounds like some nice glass on those guns. Hope my Balvar is clean and bright.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by STR513 View Post
    OK well I picked it up and need to post up some photos. When we tried the "safety check" at the shop ( part of California rules...) we could not chamber a cheap AZOOM snap cap. Bolt was just shy of closing. Will clean it up and clean the chamber and check back.

I do have a set of .243 Win dies and some brass, I will resize some of the brass I have acquired and check back in. I do not have any other chamber gauges, just the drop in Lyman gauge for loaded rounds.

Sounds like some nice glass on those guns. Hope my Balvar is clean and bright.
    So I had the same issue with my pre-66 in 30-06. Factory brass and some factory loads were very hard to chamber. Some were impossible to chamber. I had to return a box of Federal Premium ammo because I could not get the bolt closed. The head space was very, very tight. After the first shot on factory reloading brass (star-line) and a full-length resizing, all my rounds chambered just fine. I never had a go gauge to check it, but it sounds like yours might have the same issue. If that's the case, don't give up on it until you've tried once-fired (from that gun) full-length resized brass in it.