Thread: Savage 11 blew up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Why is the standard reaction to sue the gunmaker....or the ammo maker? Why not call Savage and ask them to look at it. If the injury created some “loss” for your son, ask them to pay for it. I would bet they would be thrilled to deal with someone not immediately thinking how can I sue. Maybe contact the ammo maker too. Ask them to pay an independent gunsmith of your choice.....I don’t know. I’m not an attorney and never seen a problem solved by one.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nksmfamjp View Post
    Why is the standard reaction to sue the gunmaker....or the ammo maker? Why not call Savage and ask them to look at it. If the injury created some “loss” for your son, ask them to pay for it. I would bet they would be thrilled to deal with someone not immediately thinking how can I sue. Maybe contact the ammo maker too. Ask them to pay an independent gunsmith of your choice.....I don’t know. I’m not an attorney and never seen a problem solved by one.
    I haven't seen people telling him to sue.... I've seen people telling him to document everything. After he sends the gun to savage and they say "It must have been your fault"- that's a piss poor time to start documenting things. Maybe Savage will treat him right and he wont need the evidence... (maybe it wasn't savages fault at all)... but advising lots of pictures and evidence isn't the same as telling someone to sue.

Basic Member
    Hdball.... did the bolt come all the way out of the action?? Or did the bolt stop do it's job?

Quote Originally Posted by nksmfamjp View Post
    I didn't say sue, lawyer, court or money. I said take pictures and don't shoot any more rounds out of the factory box. Geez....

I don't necessarily want to sue anyone either. Especially in today's day and age where there seems to be a war on the firearm community. I feel like we're all on the same team and suing savage would kinda be like attacking one of our own. I also have to be realistic about the situation. My son's 17, a baseball player, aspirations of playing in college, and while there's supposedly no nerve damage in his hand, until he can start working out again we don't know anything. I can post pics of his hand if y'all would like to see? Just didnt know if the would be considered appropriate or not.

The bolt shot all the way out of the gun. It was laying on the ground after everything blew up.

Quote Originally Posted by Orezona View Post
    I didn't say sue, lawyer, court or money. I said take pictures and don't shoot any more rounds out of the factory box. Geez....
    No you didn't but others did. It is so easy to think someone is speaking about you when in actuality they are discussing a matter that came from another location. One issue while debating in an open discussion in a online forum.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    No you didn't but others did. It is so easy to think someone is speaking about you when in actuality they are discussing a matter that came from another location. One issue while debating in an open discussion in a online forum.
    10-4

It's an interesting and unfortunate event. I'm pleased that your son wasn't injured more than he was.

Before I did anything else, I'd contact Savage, explain the situation and have them issue a call tag to have the rifle picked up so they can examine it. Also make them aware of the lot number of the cartridges you were using.

I'm sure we'd all be interested in what Savage has to say.

Basic Member
    Its a serious enough issue that Savage should be willing to do whatever the customer is more comfortable doing.
    Id personally be taking it to someone like Sharpshooter who is well known by Savage.
    Let them go to the trouble of sending someone there to wittness the disassembly and analize the issue.
    I would not be giving up control of things at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Its a serious enough issue that Savage should be willing to do whatever the customer is more comfortable doing.
    Id personally be taking it to someone like Sharpshooter who is well known by Savage.
    Let them go to the trouble of sending someone there to wittness the disassembly and analize the issue.
    I would not be giving up control of things at this point.
    Savage would send somebody to SSS? I have no ground to doubt your statement that SSS is "well known by Savage", but, Savage send someone to SSS? I hope that is somehow true.