Thread: Savage 11 blew up

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My opinion was that possibly the trigger weight and/or possibly the spring tension on the firing pin had been modified. Something was abnormal.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    My opinion was that possibly the trigger weight and/or possibly the spring tension on the firing pin had been modified. Something was abnormal.
    How does the button indicate it's still cocked with firing pin sticking out? We haven't touched the trigger or firing pin spring. I guess anything is a possibility. Just trying to think of every possible scenario before savage looks at it and tries to tell us it's our fault.

Basic Member
    Did you tear the bolt apart yet?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Possibly the cocking piece became unscrewed allowing the firing pin to strike the primer. How else could it fire with the bolt open cocked position? Even if he was squeezing the trigger the bolt would be closed before the cocking piece pin could go home. The pin cannot pass the sear arm unless the trigger is pulled. The pin cant fire without the bolt being rotated. If the bolt is rotated closed then the bolt could not move rearward. Only other thing is there was a barrel obstruction. Since we cant see the pictures all we have is conjecture. Unscrew the BAS and check.

Banned
    Honestly, this is the first case of a bolt action KB, from firing out of battery. I guess it’s just the first one I have really paid mind to. Just after 2004 was basically the beginning of the AK/AR “Build” culture. I was doing that from the start, and I remember hearing of out of battery KB’s fairly often. By the grace of God neither myself, nor anyone I knew was ever a victim of one.

Just strange, I never really thought of a bolt action to exhibit the condition. So, thank you for sharing with us hdball.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Possibly the cocking piece became unscrewed allowing the firing pin to strike the primer. How else could it fire with the bolt open cocked position?
    I doubt that it came unscrewed, but it could have separated from a bad thread joint, or just plain break at the end of the threads(highly unlikely) and the spring would push the the firing pin to the fired position, still leaving the cocking piece in the cock detent. We'll found out if or when he tears it apart.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I doubt that it came unscrewed, but it could have separated from a bad thread joint, or just plain break at the end of the threads(highly unlikely) and the spring would push the the firing pin to the fired position, still leaving the cocking piece in the cock detent. We'll found out if or when he tears it apart.
    That was along the lines of my thinking.

As I understand this, Savage uses two different bolt designs and I don't know enough about this to identify which one this is.
    Will someone clarify this for me?

Quote Originally Posted by justpassinthru View Post
    As I understand this, Savage uses two different bolt designs and I don't know enough about this to identify which one this is.
    Will someone clarify this for me?

The one it would have to be to come apart (multiple pieces):

The style that we are starting to see in some production 110 models.(I believe this is an axis but the 110 is very similar)More like a one piece.

Yeah. We aren't touching the gun until we decide what were going to do. I was thinking about taking it to a gunsmith tomorrow just to see what he thinks before we move forward.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hdball View Post
    Yeah. We aren't touching the gun until we decide what were going to do. I was thinking about taking it to a gunsmith tomorrow just to see what he thinks before we move forward.
    You are wise to keep everything untouched so that you don't possibly corrupt any evidence. The chain of events leading to failure will certainly be of interest to both Savage and any attorney you choose to hire. I'd let your attorney guide your course of action. Do not send it back to Savage, as much as I like the company and their products, there is some liability for your son's injuries. They have insurance for that sort of thing, so follow your attorneys advise and let it play out.

I hope and pray your sons injuries are not permanent.

FWIW; I had a model 11 in 243, but sold it last year. Great rifle! My son took his first buck with it, but it was a left hand model, and he is a righty.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.