Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Corona-19 Hysteria

Team Savage
    "What shocked me was that just the thought of having no TP in the stores and the stores running out of milk"

No TP?? Got kids? Think back BEFORE there were disposable diapers. Ever heard of "cloth diapers"?
    Shake the big stuff out into the toilet and flush. The dirty diaper goes in the wash.
    Still got a few diaper pins around even after all those years.
    Out of disposables? Hand towel and diaper pin. Wam, bam, done deal.

What no milk? Think back to "Powdered Milk". Mix and make it cold. Will pass inspection in a pinch.
    In this case, better than nothing.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Never was one for reading a book other then a tech manual. I will sit
    down and watch a movie. Growing up with comic books, It was just
    natural to purvey the Marvel Universe. Just dropped off my collection
    to my grand kids.....Other then that; I'll consume my time with tinkering.
    Besides reloading, and testing, I have an appetite for wild catting.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Team Savage
    " I have an appetite for wild catting".
    Everything I shoot is more or less a Wildcat.
    Not one of my bolt guns will chamber a factory loaded round.
    My latest Wildcat is a "20 TCM".
    Stated off trying to build a 20 VT "SHORT" but over time, I had issues with the finished brass.
    Case heads got distorted and I ended up with about a 50% FTF because the primer pockets wern't flush on the bolt face.
    One fired, no problem. The case head blew out and they fired.
    Still didn't like the finished product THEN, I ran onto some 22 TCM brass. Nice factory brass.
    Necked it down to 20 and stuffed a VLD bullet in the neck.
    Got a custom reamer cut to MY specs along with a full length and Micro top seater from Whidden.
    Still havn't fired a round at a target but I've got everything I need so "that makes me the winner".
    Still looking for another Remington XP 100 action OR pistol in .221 Fireball to re chamber into the "20 TCM".
    Issues with the TCM loading on a Savage action.
    You HAVE to point the round up and into the chamber BEFORE you even think about closing the bolt.
    Not too good for a good day of shooting.
    Dropped a round into my XP converted rilfe in .221 Fireball and partially closed the bolt. Like a glove upon the hand.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

My cats have seemed to lean to the big boomers, but with short cases.
    I was in a head on accident which busted up my leg pretty good.
    To while away the time waiting for the pins to be removed, I built
    me a double rifle on a Spring Field DB action. To make a long story
    short.....Neck up a .350 Remington Mag case to .458. It was fun....LOL

Stopped at Aldi's coming back from the range. Shelves seem to be
    getting caught up, but no flour to be found. Sign says one bag per
    customer. We have a problem with the Amish in our area. They will
    come in and fill a full shopping cart with flour and suger.

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Just talked to my son in Forsyth County NC. Because they had 3 new covid-19 cases that did not involve travel they have now quarantined the county. Shut all the business down except "essential".

Deaths so far in County from Covid-19? NONE

Deaths so far in County from Seasonal Flu? Over 400

Why did they not close down the county for the flu deaths?
    Maybe they have to shut it down to get some of that $2 trillion??
    The more corrupt the state, the more laws.-Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by Back2Wyo View Post
    You might also read Unrestricted Warfare. Written by 2 Chinese Generals in 1999.
    I am finishing two books right now:

1) "Prediction Machines", by three gentlemen.
    2) "Falling Felines and Fundamental Physics", by Gregory J. Gbur.
    The more corrupt the state, the more laws.-Tacitus

Been checking the news sources out of Europe. Italy had about 1000 die
    yesterday. Hospitals are lining up refrigerator trucks. Spain is not fairing
    any better. Germany is claiming a much smaller number then most EU
    block countries. But it was also mentioned they do not do a post mortem
    as does Italy, so the numbers there could be much higher, covid related.

Been meaning to snag a Rock Chucker Supreme with it's
    redesigned larger opening and longer stroke. Natchez was
    running a good deal, so I pulled the trigger. First I decided
    to call them direct to see if there was any COVID-19 snags.
    I was caller number 21 with maybe a 1/2 hour wait. I left
    the call back number. And went about my business. 45 min
    later I got the call, placed the order, and was told COVID
    has t he shipping backed up, and I may not see the press
    till near the end of April !! Luckily I'm in no rush. I'll see it
    when it gets here. Of all the years I've purchased from them,
    I've never had to wait.....Sign of the times.

[IMG][/IMG]

Evidently the term "knob polisher" no longer describes a misdemeanor. Now it's a job title.

Basic Member
    If we think there has been major shifts in the population to other places, just wait till this thing is over.
    Real estate agents are no doubt salivating over that thought already.
    I hear the cops are now stopping New York cars at our northern boarder here in FL.

I'm a New Yorker and I don't blame you in FL. We in Upstate NY are trying to stop Downstater NYers from traveling this direction. So far that our senators are sending letters asking the Governor to mandate it.

Instead Czar Cuomo wants to ship the infected up to our hospitals and also send our "less busy" health care professionals down to the City. Time to blow the bridges and flood the tunnels.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    I'm a New Yorker and I don't blame you in FL. We in Upstate NY are trying to stop Downstater NYers from traveling this direction. So far that our senators are sending letters asking the Governor to mandate it.

Instead Czar Cuomo wants to ship the infected up to our hospitals and also send our "less busy" health care professionals down to the City. Time to blow the bridges and flood the tunnels.
    Well it has been well known for a very long time that NY like CA would better serve its residents if they were both split into two separate states.
    I think FL and hopefully TX will be ok for awhile with the population shift. But this situation could change all that, probably more so here in FL and possibly even other southern coastal states. TX main concern is immigrants, and hopefully that is being brought under control.
    But for TX sake if nothing else, vote.

Team Savage
    I have been working at home 3-4 days per week for the past three weeks when this thing blew up. It's kinda like a trial run at retirement which is only a few years down the road. It's been an adjustment for my wife who is already retired and me too. We have had a few moments but we get through them.

This flight from the cities by wealthier residents gives us a glimpse into the future as the cities will become more unlivable. I see an unavoidable escalation of the urban vs. rural culture war that is already brewing in our nation.

I think back to the insignificant things in my life that I was complaining about three months ago. I would give a lot right now to go back to a time when those things were my biggest problem. I will try to be more appreciative of my good fortune when this crap is over with.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Well it has been well known for a very long time that NY like CA would better serve its residents if they were both split into two separate states.
    I think FL and hopefully TX will be ok for awhile with the population shift. But this situation could change all that, probably more so here in FL and possibly even other southern coastal states. TX main concern is immigrants, and hopefully that is being brought under control.
    I didn't know non-Texans knew about our plight. Thanks for vocalizing it.

I've come to the sad realization that I will likely see Texas flip during my lifetime. Then I'll slowly watch the freedoms that make Texas great slip away just like they did in California after Nixon left the governor's office.

I sure hope I'm wrong and I sure hope it doesn't happen to Florida either.

Hoosier Essentials

Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post

I've come to the sad realization that I will likely see Texas flip during my lifetime. Then I'll slowly watch the freedoms that make Texas great slip away just like they did in California after Nixon left the governor's office.

Fortunately, gun shops in Indiana are still considered essential and have remained opened.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apollo117 View Post

It all comes down to leadership, or the lack or quality of it.
    Good leadership isnt always popular as were seeing now, but hindsite always reveals the true facts provided we get to see them.
    While your sitting around, go to youtube and listen to some of the talks from people like Victor Davis Hansen on WW2.
    Had Patton, not Ike, been the supreme commander, what would Europe have looked like after the war and for decades beyond.
    And remember, we did have the bomb, but Stalin didnt, nor did he have any way of delivering it even if he had.
    And to carry that out further, what would Cuba and south Florida look like today had he like Ike, been elected president.
    Was it true that Ike didnt like Nixon, or that Nixon didnt like Ike after serving under him for 8 years.
    And lets not forget the press, and who they liked and disliked. They literally hated Nixon same as they do Trump.
    By the way, i voted for Ike 2 times, and yes he did send troops into Viet Nam, but who was it that finally got us out.
    So the fate of the state of Texas and ultimately the entire country, depends on us.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    The same has been talked about in WA for years, split the state in two along the Cascade range. Highly doubt it will ever happen.

Team Savage
    This thread is making for a remarkable timeline on the spread of Covid-19 (SARS CoV-2). Last evening (4-1-20) the official infection count was 140,000, up 40% since 3 days ago. That the projected increase is going exponential is due to the fact that with the delay in testing and verification, an infected person may have spread the disease to as many as 47 others by the time test results come back. It is believed that once infected, a person becomes infectious within a couple days. Symptoms, if there are any may take 7 to 14 days, and typically may become bad enough by then to entitle one to a test, results of which may take up to 2 weeks to come back.

If a person is experiencing mild or no symptoms, they may remain in the workforce until test results confirm Covid-19. By then they may have unwittingly spread the infection to many of their coworkers, who in turn spread it further.

The rate of spread of Covid-19 is being proved out. A person once infected will spread the disease to 3 others within 7 days even with some type of social isolation measures. Unless 90% of the population adheres rigorously to recommended isolation procedures, Covid spread will not abate anytime soon. We're not there yet, and the numbers are verifying that.

White House is now projecting 100,000 to 240,000 DEATHS before this is brought under control. Comparing this to a previous Flu pandemic is pointless.

This is not hysteria. This is about as serious as it gets on an individual level. Texas has yet to issue any state wide orders, leaving it up to counties to react and several have issued stay at home orders, essential workers exempt. Many manufacturing businesses are declaring themselves exempt purely for financial reasons. Management is telecommuting but requiring workers to report as usual. In Texas, many of those workers are immigrants who send $ home and cannot afford voluntarily stop working. So here in Texas, we'll be particularly hard hit in areas where there is a large manufacturing base, like Austin, San Antonio, Houston and Dallas/Fort Worth, and who depend upon a large immigrant workforce.

Wife and I are at greater risk for age and medical reasons. Son has decided to stay home and isolate rather than work in a manufacturing environment like described above. He is the likely vector the disease will take into our home, so he is taking that responsibility seriously. We're proud of him!

I hope this helps.
    The longer I stay in the home, the more likely I'll become homeless.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234