Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Corona-19 Hysteria

Corona-19 Hysteria

My opinion would probably not be welcome here since it involves a religious aspect. But, it is the problem...
    The more corrupt the state, the more laws.-Tacitus

It is indeed Robert!

Basic Member
    Could it be the grand finally of the display weve been witnessing for the last three years?
    Nahh.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Could it be the grand finally of the display weve been witnessing for the last three years?
    Nahh.
    The timing and delay from the Chinese gov is suspicious. But it will not work - President Trump will win re-election despite what China or the libtards do.
    The more corrupt the state, the more laws.-Tacitus

It is odd that the first two Doctors who first reported it to Chinese officials in late December were both arrested for "circulating false and inflammatory statements." They are both dead now...from the virus. How convenient. Even Chinese people are upset about that deal and social media has been critical of the government.

Ya' know fellas !! Below this thread is the Wally world thread.
    Kind of funny that all these venues are closing down but Wally
    World will still have it minions and hoards. Maybe Fake News
    should Twitter up about these stores closing for a while because
    there is no stocks of TP !!!

Either way, play it safe and don't go near Trump. Just saying....LOL
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Let's say for the sake of argument that the Corona-19 stats are 3 or even 5 times higher than what is being reported world wide. It still would pale in comparison 2018-19 Flu epidemic statistics in the U.S. alone!

Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Let's say for the sake of argument that the Corona-19 stats are 3 or even 5 times higher than what is being reported world wide. It still would pale in comparison 2018-19 Flu epidemic statistics in the U.S. alone!
    I watched the PBS show about this last night. Our guys that fought
    over in France during WW1 returned home only to die of this Flu. My
    Grandparents lost all their family in Ukraine. The only family that survived
    were the ones that went thru Ellis Island just before the War.

Both my Sister and Daughter in laws are full time nurses. I'll tell ya', my
    Son and Brother are a bit nervous. So far in North Western Pennsylvania,
    we are clear.

There is no getting around this. I see it this way. If you handle cash, there
    is an avenue to spread the flu. Same with picking up your mail !! The food
    on the grocery store shelves had to be stocked by someone. And I just had
    a chamber reamer come in from PTG. So any shipping company can distribute
    a virus. But the world still turns !!

Basic Member
    Wow! Just got back from the grocery store, no toilet paper to be seen. No coke. No sanitizer and nothing but rude customers. Cant wait till this is over.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    I have not had the pleasure to go to any store, except the pet food store the other day. My coworkers have been complaining about the crowds at Wal-Mart and the grocery stores. If I need anything, I will probably go late at night as I can't stand "normal" crowds as it is.

However, traffic here the last two days has been much worse. People out everywhere. I assume stockpiling goods as places like restaurants aren't very crowded. Funny, when people are scared of something spread by other people, they have to go out amongst other people.

The media and individuals on Facebook that are driving this hysteria are responsible for a tremendous cost to the American people and the US Government. It is equivalent to screaming fire in a theater. Ask the people of Calumet how that works.
    One Cannot Be PC And Be Intellectually Honest!

Joking with my son last night, telling him if the food stores dry
    up, I'll kill a deer, and smoke it. If no deer to be found, his dog
    goes on the menu. He had no sense of Ha Ha over that one.
    And I'm not worried about TP, but I did pick up a few extra cases
    of my favorite hop flavored beverage. Can't be too cautious !!

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    The media and individuals on Facebook that are driving this hysteria are responsible for a tremendous cost to the American people and the US Government. It is equivalent to screaming fire in a theater. Ask the people of Calumet how that works.
    Amen brother......

Team Savage
    Agree with everyone, the Swine Flue was MUCH MUCH worse but we got thru it.

I'm not an alarmist and agree that the hysteria (panic buying) is a out of hand, but rest assured it's just going to get worse in the weeks to come. Just looking at the trends from China, Italy and other countries that have been hit it's inevitable that we're going to see a huge increase in confirmed cases here in the U.S. in the next 7-10 days.

Some have quoted the numbers here in the U.S., but those are only the confirmed numbers. What we don't know at this point is how many people are out there already infected or carrying the virus unknowingly because they haven't been tested or haven't started experiencing symptoms yet. As testing ramps up in the next week or so you can guarantee the numbers will jump substantially and then we'll start seeing the real panic start to set in as even more things are closed and more restrictions are put in place to try to minimize the spread. Again, look at China and Italy as examples.

Granted, for more than 80% of the population the risk is low and getting the virus will be comparable to having a bad case of the flu, but that other 15-20% of the population is at a much greater risk due to age and existing health issues.

Numbers don't lie:

- Covid-19 is 2x more contagious than the flu
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Contagious.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	6991

- Overall the mortality rate of those infected with Covid-19 are about 20% higher overall than the mortality rate of the flu. Those 60 and older are the most at risk.

Name:	DeathRate.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	6992

- The percentage of of cases that are considered Serious or Critical are much greater with Corvid-19 than they are with the flu.

Name:	Severity.jpg 
Views:	165 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	6993

- Incubation period (how long it takes symptoms to appear) can be up to 14 days for Covid-19 based on current data, 3x that of the flu's typical incubation period of 2 to 4 days.

So while these initial steps seem way out of proportion to many of us at this point and time, in another week or two we'll all probably be singing a different tune and be thankful many of these efforts were made when they were - even though they're a major disruption to our everyday lives. It's also going to be a long inconvenience for all of us as China has already been dealing with this for over 4 months. Think about that - we're still in month 1 here in the U.S. so you definitely want to plan ahead and probably stock up on the basic necessities while they're fairly readily available. Not saying clear off the shelves, but at least have two or three weeks worth of food and necessities on hand - especially if you're in a major population area.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

A little BS at the gun club yesterday has the gun shops picking up
    business. Hoarders will want to protect their stash, and Biden may
    pick Hillery as a running mate.

On the way back home, I stopped at Aldi's for their baking taters, and
    coffee.....TP, bread, and bottled water were wiped out. Cereal, suger
    and flour were mostly gone. Looked like the canned goods were in full
    stock. If I were to hoard for the dark days, it would be the canned
    goods I'd go for first. After leaving, had to run by Wally World to see
    if the insanity was ongoing their !! Yep !! Even the Over flow parking
    lot was full and main road into the place backed up. So much for Cherry
    pie for awhile, Azzholes !!

Basic Member
    No way Biden or the Dems will pick Hillary for the VP spot. She is burnt toast as for getting a shot at anything.
    They might even both be burnt toast before the election comes about.
    Who ever that is will be picked by someone other than Biden anyway, with the idea that (SHE) will be taking over before his term is up.

Some CDC stats..they will change as Covid-19 progresses but so far:

80.9% of infections are classified as mild, 13.8% as severe and 4.7% as critical.
    The highest fatality rate is for people aged 80 and older, at 14.8%.
    For children up to 9, there have been no fatalities and up to the age of 39, the death rate remains low at 0.2%.
    For the next age groups, the fatality rates increase gradually: For people in their 40s it is 0.4%, in their 50s it is 1.3%, in their 60s it is 3.6% and their 70s it is 8%.
    Looking at the sex ratio, men are more likely to die (2.8%) than women (1.7%)

J.Baker -- Thanks for that excellent graphic and discussion! It goes a long way toward describing the potential.

It also helps illustrate why the UK has encouraged the elderly to self-isolate for the next 4 months while doing nothing extraordinary about the general population. Get the "herd" immune and no longer contagious, and then the elderly can return to normal life. (https://selfreliancecentral.com/2020...er-quarantine/)

It does sound a bit uncaring but ???

Swine Flue was MUCH MUCH worse but we got thru it.
    It was that.

One of the current problems is that Covid-19 is being compared to what is called "regular or normal flu season". The resulting data comparison makes Covid-19 look apocalyptic.

How about we pick another season. 2009 and H1N1....That seasonal comparison puts things in an entirely different light.

"H1N1 caused nearly 10,000 deaths in the United States in an outbreak that has infected about 50 million Americans" government health officials (CDC) said Thursday.

Through mid-October H1N1 infected 22 million Americans and killed 4000.

Deaths as of mid-November included about 1,100 children and 7,500 younger adults", said Dr. Thomas Frieden, director of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Can you imagine what the reaction would be from national media tomorrow if the statistics of Covid-19 were the same today?

My point and what I mean by "hysteria"? We had a Pandemic in 2009-10 that so far was way more dangerous than the one we are currently facing. That may change in time but we did not experience the economic collapse and social panic we are currently seeing. Why? Who knows!

Covid-19 pandemic has less than 5000 victims and fewer than 100 deaths in the U.S. so far yet it is causing a market selloff that will be catastrophic and potentially much longer lasting than the pandemic. Why? Who knows. But statistical comparisons certainly offer no answer....something else is going on!

Basic Member
    If this is the 19th version of this particular virus, my question would be why arent the different health organizations around the world more up to speed with a treatment for it instead of the predictions weve been hearing?
    Research is very costly, and only the large companies who hope to profit from it, and governments who take it from tax payers can afford to fund it.
    This country since Trumps election has been drifting away from what is seen by many as the proper order of things.
    I certainly hope this isnt at least in part an attempt to force us back into what might be considered the proper way of thinking.
    It would be hard to convince me that there wouldnt be a Democrat out there who would be a much better challenger for Trump in the coming election than those weve seen.
    Could it be that we will be shown that it makes no difference who is chosen, because one way or another this is the way it will be?
    Time will of coarse tell, but in the meantime i think weve got to think for ourselves and stay the coarse we believe in regardless.

There are no Covid-19 cases in Beaufort County South Carolina. So. I go to Walmart to get tires...what a debauch! No water, no toilet tissue or paper towels no hand cleaners of any kind, food shelves were stripped the same as when hurricane Matthew was approaching. I did not need any of those things but as I watched people leaving with baskets piled high with who knows what I thought "damn people get a grip." County School closures, public meeting cancellations as of Monday added to the panic. Just watched Fox Business...big block letters "CORONA VIRUS 3700 CASES RETAILERS CLOSING STORES. Meanwhile back in New York the DOW is acting like it hit an iceberg and going down like the Titanic. This is just freaking unreal nuts people!

And to top it all off! County public "heath officials" are now suggesting that because I am over 65 I should consider self-isolation for the next month. Nah. Salt water fishing season is going to ramp up soon...fish don't carry Covids....well not yet anyway. Hope bait and tackle stores remain open...but considering the current insanity ya never know.

"If you can keep your head when all about you are losing theirs." Hope more begin to show up Rudyard but so far it ain't looking very promising.

Basic Member
    I am disturbed by panic buyers!

Fortunately I have a good well/spring water and power. I am blessed to live 467yds from the closest house, plenty of breezy fresh air down through the mountain gap.

Jim Baker is most correct, it is just beginning imo. I had ordered a book from the library several month ago, 1918 flue pandemic. It killed 80 million known of. It killed from the tropics to the far north, no contact required, what is now being termed "community contact."

This one could be another ringer. The 1918 "spanish flu" was so named because it began with reported cases in St Sebasten Spain. It spread like wild fire in the spring but was a 3 day flu with a recovery of over a week afterwards. It returned nurtured from what hosts(?) in the early fall of 1918, but as a Killer.

It's mortality graph was a "W" very young top left , a downward pitch for 20 somethings, spiking up again for 40's, and down again claim the old folks, which there weren't that many in 1918. There are many variable sized crudely carved head stones pock marking many of these mountain ridges from 1918.

This one so far is a linear mortality age graph, but what's to come with mutation in so many hosts this summer? Most disturbing, heard a report today health officials nationwide are planning a rescue plan for the infected...who gets cared for and who gets pushed into the hospital hallways awaiting a sheet and a ride downstairs.

I'm glad I have been without TV for 45 years, although always tried to keep a girlfriend with a nice set. Hopefully this is overblown, hold your breaths for good measure.

Hopefully this is overblown, hold your breaths for good measure.
    Hope so too! You still in Wilkes?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast