Thread: 23B stock question

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks for the help all. I had the Numrich stock bookmarked, but was hesitant to order it as the profile is a good bit different than the one that is on my rifle. My rifle has no checkering and a schnable forend. I'm not sure if this changed through production or if the checkered one was for the .32 models though. As before, I really don't know much about them, all I have is the bottom metal plate, screws, and magazine/retainer plate. I did soak the mag in Kroil and hit it with a copper brush to prevent the rust from progressing any further. The magazines cost more than I paid for the rifle shockingly enough, and I refuse to deal with Triple K after my last episode dealing with their poor reproduction of the Savage 19 NRA magazine..... I don't think I'll get this up and running until this summer but every small step is a victory to me. One way or another I WILL get it up and operational again. It's just too neat and the metal is too nice to let rust away.

Try Ebay, if you haven't already...

https://www.ebay.com/b/Savage-23-In-.../bn_7022423932

Basic Member
    I have the same rifle! Brass is hard to find but ammo is available but $$$. I bought about four boxes of ammo and figured that's enough brass for a lifetime! Forming dies are also $$$ so to save the butt pain I figured it was easier to buy ammo. Unique is what I use to reload this and a lot of the old timers, can't go wrong!!

DroopyBassetts75,
    Can you please point me in the direction of the schematic or directions to take apart the bolt? I also have a 23B and I was getting very light primer strikes so much that I had to pull the bullets from maybe ten rounds even after repeatedly trying to fire the rounds. I cleaned out the firing pin as much as possible without taking it apart then sprayed it down with carburetor cleaner following by a gun oil. I have had no more problems since then but I would like to take it apart and really clean it out.

Congratulations on your find and I hope you enjoy shooting it as much as I do mine. I load a 85g lead bullet over 5.0grains of HS-6 for about 1400fps.

Andrew