Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Results 1 to 22 of 22

Thread: Shooting way low.

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    10

    Shooting way low.

    90's model 110 30-06, last year I slipped on rocks and landed on the rifle. The rifle between me and the rocks, hard. The fall crushed the elevation cap, that's fine it was a simmons. Bought a Nikon 4x14x40 and I can adjust the elevation all the way up and the gun is still shooting 15 inches low at 50 yards. Do I need to take the gun completely apart and torque everything back down an start over?

  2. #2
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Alabama
    Age
    37
    Posts
    299
    I would check the barrel. If you fell hard enough, you might have bent it.

  3. #3
    Team Savage
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    225
    Did the same thing with a Rem 7600 once. Had to replace rings as well. Good quality steel bases and rings will be a good investment. Use strippable thread lock as well.

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by strut64 View Post
    Did the same thing with a Rem 7600 once. Had to replace rings as well. Good quality steel bases and rings will be a good investment. Use strippable thread lock as well.
    I replaced the base, and rings when I put the new scope on and torqued everything down to spec.

  5. #5
    Basic Member Robinhood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,390
    Is it a 20MOA base by any chance?
    One Cannot Be PC And Be Intellectually Honest!

  6. #6
    Team Savage
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    662

  7. #7
    Basic Member Robinhood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,390
    Oh goodness, Give me two V blocks, a press and an indicator and I will get the whole barrel within .001"
    One Cannot Be PC And Be Intellectually Honest!

  8. #8
    Team Savage
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    2,974
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Oh goodness, Give me two V blocks, a press and an indicator and I will get the whole barrel within .001"

    That won't work as good as a "precision" log....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

  9. #9
    Team Savage
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern MN
    Age
    68
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Is it a 20MOA base by any chance?
    I'm with you on this one Robinhood .... real easy to put a base on end for end....easy fix and back to the range...

  10. #10
    Basic Member Robinhood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,390
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    That won't work as good as a "precision" log....
    Yeah, but it's darn close.
    One Cannot Be PC And Be Intellectually Honest!

  11. #11
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    10
    Off the top of your head what bases and rings would you suggest?

  12. #12
    Basic Member Robinhood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,390
    Before you do anything see if a dollar bill wil slide between the forearm and the barrel from the recoil lug to the end of the stock to see if the barrel is hitting the stock anywhere. You might take the the action out of the stock and remove the scope and mount. Roll the barrel on a countertop with the action hanging over the edge. You might could tell if the barrel is bent....maybe. V blocks would be better.
    One Cannot Be PC And Be Intellectually Honest!

  13. #13
    Basic Member hamiltonkiler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Location
    Central NC
    Age
    33
    Posts
    137
    Iím not trying to be a smart arse. I donít know your level of knowledge and Iím not assuming. These are things Iíve seen for real.
    Is your elevation knob on the top and windage on the side? Iíve seen people have the scope in the wrong way.
    If your shooting low you move turrets up.
    Archers are sometimes confused as you chase the arrow with your sights on a bow. Move sight down if your shooting low and vice versa.

    Also take the bolt from the gun where you can look down the pipe. Put your gun in a vice or sled. Put a ball ⚽️ in the yard 40-50yds or so out. Look through the barrel and find the ball. Now move your scope hairs until they center the ball. Look back through the barrel.
    This should get you close.
    Cheers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #14
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    Iím not trying to be a smart arse. I donít know your level of knowledge and Iím not assuming. These are things Iíve seen for real.
    Is your elevation knob on the top and windage on the side? Iíve seen people have the scope in the wrong way.
    If your shooting low you move turrets up.
    Archers are sometimes confused as you chase the arrow with your sights on a bow. Move sight down if your shooting low and vice versa.

    Also take the bolt from the gun where you can look down the pipe. Put your gun in a vice or sled. Put a ball in the yard 40-50yds or so out. Look through the barrel and find the ball. Now move your scope hairs until they center the ball. Look back through the barrel.
    This should get you close.
    Cheers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No offense taken. Elevation is on top as it has a U and D and the direction arrow. I'm shooting from a Caldwell sled with 10 pounds of weight on it. I've done as you said with the bolt removed and centered with a clean target shown through the barrel and the scope.

  15. #15
    Team Savage
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern MN
    Age
    68
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by ratamahatta View Post
    90's model 110 30-06, last year I slipped on rocks and landed on the rifle. The rifle between me and the rocks, hard. The fall crushed the elevation cap, that's fine it was a simmons. Bought a Nikon 4x14x40 and I can adjust the elevation all the way up and the gun is still shooting 15 inches low at 50 yards. Do I need to take the gun completely apart and torque everything back down an start over?
    You said you also replaced the rings & bases. Is there a possibility that you were given the wrong bases?
    Your model 110 may very well be a "flat back" and common bases in sports stores are usually "round back" as of current design. The hole pattern has the same spacing only the shape and height of the rear base is different. The front bases are the same.
    Just a thought,
    Randy

  16. #16
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    You said you also replaced the rings & bases. Is there a possibility that you were given the wrong bases?
    Your model 110 may very well be a "flat back" and common bases in sports stores are usually "round back" as of current design. The hole pattern has the same spacing only the shape and height of the rear base is different. The front bases are the same.
    Just a thought,
    Randy
    Could be, I called Weaver and gave them the info and they gave me a model # for a one piece base specific to my rifle. I'll start there and see where it goes from there.

  17. #17
    Team Savage
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern MN
    Age
    68
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by ratamahatta View Post
    Could be, I called Weaver and gave them the info and they gave me a model # for a one piece base specific to my rifle. I'll start there and see where it goes from there.
    If you visually look at how the rear of the base fits the action you will see if it follows the contour of the action without any gaps.

  18. #18
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    10
    Installed new base and rings, front part of base is contoured, back part is flat just like the rifle, now to sight it in.

  19. #19
    Team Savage
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern MN
    Age
    68
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    After watching several different episodes of "the real gunsmith" I have came to the conclusion that he is the best sleep aid that there is. Better than "Sominex".
    Did he ever get that barrel straight?

  20. #20
    Basic Member Robinhood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Age
    62
    Posts
    5,390
    He is the same guy that had nothing good to say about the 6.5 creed.
    One Cannot Be PC And Be Intellectually Honest!

  21. #21
    Team Savage
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern MN
    Age
    68
    Posts
    393
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    He is the same guy that had nothing good to say about the 6.5 creed.
    Yep...oh well his U-tube life must be supporting him, but he definitely is full of himself sometimes.
    I really think he should make audio tapes to help people sleep!��

  22. #22
    Basic Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    He is the same guy that had nothing good to say about the 6.5 creed.
    In that case he can't be all bad.

Similar Threads

  1. 116 shooting low.
    By Berserker in forum Savage 110-Series Rifles
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 10-30-2016, 09:21 PM
  2. Shooting benches, and covered shooting stand
    By missed in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-19-2013, 09:03 PM
  3. 308 shooting LOW
    By ecountry411 in forum Axis Series Rifles
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12-05-2011, 09:17 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •