Thread: Model 10 FCP HS Precision .308 - first impressions

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I think you made a good choice. The stock is a decent foundation. The action is the base of a lot of accurate rifles and they shoot good out of the box.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I think you made a good choice. The stock is a decent foundation. The action is the base of a lot of accurate rifles and they shoot good out of the box.
    Thanks.

I've read many comments by yourself and members here that convinced me it was a solid choice. It has its fans elsewhere (non Savage forums) as well. Most of the negative comments are related to the bolt action, which I don't consider a significant issue. I know (from research) there are "Lift Kits", but I'm satisfied with it for now. Most of the accuracy results I've seen have been excellent - and some have been amazing.

Especially with my budget (under $1300 total - rifle, scope/mounts, cheek riser), I think it was the best option.

Basic Member
    I have a Metthews Fabrication cheek riser on my rifle and I love it.

Basic Member
    Got it set-up and ready to go -

Painted the stock with SEM chipguard (like my Mark II stock here - https://www.savageshooters.com/showt...ck-impressions) installed the Matthews cheek rest, Harris bipod, and cleaned/lubed it.

Also decided to powder coat the Accutrigger blade in red like the match trigger groups on the Model 12 LRP for a little detail.

Might try the .357 case DIY bolt lift kit to see if it makes a noticeable improvement, but it's not bad as it is.

Basic Member
    Nice looking rig....and timely post, as I'm heavily considering this same rifle. I'm looking forward to an update once you've been to the range.

Basic Member
    Finally an update...

Due to all that's going on, and other issues, I hadn't had a chance to take the rifle out until now.

Spent some time at a 100M private range over the weekend, mostly sighting in and doing a break-in. Taking the advice of charlie b, I decided to spend some time doing a fairly exhaustive break-in procedure based on Savage's recommendation. Basically shoot...clean...shoot...clean...repeat...

My first shots with light ball ammo were disappointing. After finishing the break-in process I went to some PPU 168gr, with better results, but still plenty of room for improvement. After a box of PPU I changed to Federal GMM 168s. As the rounds started to add up the groups started to improve.

By the end it had done 2 back-to-back 3-round groups of 1" at 100 M. One by me and one by my son.

Not a definitive accuracy test I know, but it was very encouraging. I'm sure my technique can use some improvement.

I'm planning to attend a Long Range class when the local range offers it again, and will be able to see how it holds up out to 600 yards.

So far so good, and I'm happy with the rifle. I have about $1300 in it total with the scope, mount, and bipod.

The 12X SWFA scope ($300 reg price) is very bright and sharp. I've changed over to all Milrad scopes, and I really like them. When shooting at 100M, you can just measure the distance in cm the shot needs to move - and that's the number of clicks. 1 click = 1cm @100M and so on. Simple (like me).

Basic Member
    Where are you located jkv45 ?