Thread: Will 77 grain bullets stabilize in a 1:9 twist barrel?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Will 77 grain bullets stabilize in a 1:9 twist barrel?

Good work CF,
    I don’t have a chronograph but to get my dope chart correct online I have to plug in close to 2800fps. Then when I go back to the Berger page and punch in the high velocity. I get way closer to stable. I wonder what CB said about they assume bullet shape. I wonder if they are calculating bergers shape, the shape of a football, or? I’m not sure. I wonder if a 90gn bullet made with a heavier material in the same shape and size as serria 69-77gn match bullet would shoot?
    As I don’t have two to compare what are the dimensions of he 69 vs 77gn smk? Or bergers 75gn bullet vs serrias 77gn.

Environmental factors are super hard to predict much less calculate besides wind and that’s challenging enough. Snipers use a spotter. I’m at 400ft in the thickest air in the US. Maybe not but downeast NC in the summer is a wall of humidity. The thickness of the mosquitos should be calculated to bullet travel.

Again I wonder what CF and CBs velocity is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hamiltonkiler View Post
    Good work CF,
    I don’t have a chronograph but to get my dope chart correct online I have to plug in close to 2800fps. Then when I go back to the Berger page and punch in the high velocity. I get way closer to stable. I wonder what CB said about they assume bullet shape. I wonder if they are calculating bergers shape, the shape of a football, or? I’m not sure. I wonder if a 90gn bullet made with a heavier material in the same shape and size as serria 69-77gn match bullet would shoot?
    As I don’t have two to compare what are the dimensions of he 69 vs 77gn smk? Or bergers 75gn bullet vs serrias 77gn.

Environmental factors are super hard to predict much less calculate besides wind and that’s challenging enough. Snipers use a spotter. I’m at 400ft in the thickest air in the US. Maybe not but downeast NC in the summer is a wall of humidity. The thickness of the mosquitos should be calculated to bullet travel.

Again I wonder what CF and CBs velocity is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I do not measure velocity since I got rid of my chronograph years ago. Based on Sierra's tables I estimate to be in the neighborhood of 2700fps (23.5gn Varget). Sorry I don't have a recorded group size at 600yd but I do have a few ~4" groups (8 round groups) at 400yd and I have many 5rd groups at 300yd that are in the 1.5-2.5" range.

The 77 SMK's are 0.97" long. Don't have any 69gn on hand.

Just to be clear here. This is all just a notice that some of us have had good luck with the 77gn SMK's in the Savage 1:9 barrels. If you want to try it with your rifle, feel free. If not then don't.

In the future I plan on trying to shoot a few groups at 1000yd just to see what happens. According to my ballistic tables the 77gn will still be supersonic at that point so will be an interesting experiment. The problem will be is that my wind dope skills are not very good so.....

Banned
    it is why i asked the question.
    if you are at 1 moa at 400...life at 1000 will pretty much suck.
    high power guys go for 1/2 moa

Basic Member
    Maybe. Or maybe it is just my shooting ability :)

Basic Member
    I shoot a lot of the 75 gr Hornady Match,and Sierra 77 gr SMK's out of my old 12 FLVSS with a 1-9 twist,they shoot great. But,I have never been able to push the 75 gr Hornady A-Max or the newer ELD's fast enough to stabilize for good groups,so I just built a 22 Creedmoor to shoot those bullets.