Thread: 223/5.56 rifle build

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Well to update and keep things going. I got the replacement screws thursday and the tap on friday.
    I chased the threads in all the holes except for the one above the barrel threads. Not sure what was in the threads, but the tap flutes had black crud in them. They are nice and shiny and clean now. The screws thread in perfectly now. I installed the new screws in all the holes except for the very front one where I did not chase it. I reused the best looking of the old screws. It threaded in and tightened down ok. It is just for testing purposes. I just wanted to shoot it once before I tore it apart, just to see how it shot.
    I remounted the scope, leveled it out and got it ready to try out. I went out to my property today since I was off work. I have me a 100 yard range set up in the woods. I fire a couple shots and could not tell where they are hitting. I walk up to the target and I am about 2 foot high! Not sure what range the previous owner was shooting at. I wonder if the loose base had anything to do with why they sold it...lol
    I put 20 rounds through it and averaged 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 groups. I did have 1 group a hair below 1 inch. Not too bad for a barrel that is not even broken in. I'm sure with some break in and some handloads, it would be a great shooter.

I come home, clean it and then proceed to tear it apart. Off with the scope, base, stock, bolt, and trigger. I clamp it in my action wrench and figure it is time to try out this smooth barrel nut wrench that came the action wrench and regular barrel nut wrench. I put the brass shim in it, slide it in place and tighten down the clamp bolt. I put on a 1/2 inch breaker bar and give it a push. The wrench turns on the nut. I tighten down the clamp bolt a little more, it is starting to get tight. Try again and it slips again. I start getting memories of the horror stories I have read on here. I tighten down the clamp bolt to where it feels like it is about to break. I decide the just put my body weight into it and give it a good oomph. It breaks free! Thank goodness. Talk about gritty sounding!
    I remove the action wrench and action. The nut is a little tough coming off the barrel but not too bad. Sounded like you were trying to grind sand. I cleaned so much blast media out of the nut and off the threads I almost had enough to start sand blasting myself. How that much can fit under that tiny hair of a lip around that nut is beyond me.
    So it is officially torn down and awaiting the new barrel. I still need to order a bolt head too.

I did find out why the bolt was so hard to remove. The bolt release spring is just slightly contacting the inside of the stock, causing it to bind the bolt release right before it moves the last little bit to let the bolt come out. A little work with a dremel will take care of that.

In the mean time and can work on the stock. I need to releave it to float the tang and then paint it. I do not like the grey and prefer black.

Basic Member
    Glad to hear you got that pesky barrel nut off...a deadblow hammer can help to pop it loose as well. Since you have the 1:7 Wylde barrel coming you gonna load your own rounds? I have a 5R 1:7 Wylde x-cal barrel and it loves 77gr Sierra's.

Banned
    Very typical of factory threads like this. Savage first bores the Action channel then drills & taps the the Action and scope base holes. Finally the channel is reamed & polished, but the scope base holes are never chased after. Not too big a deal for the larger action holes. But the very small hole threads have flashing pushed back in, along with cleaning/polishing residue.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    Since you have the 1:7 Wylde barrel coming you gonna load your own rounds? I have a 5R 1:7 Wylde x-cal barrel and it loves 77gr Sierra's.
    I will do both. The main point of the build is the ability to shoot cheap off the shelf 223 and 5.56 ammo. So I will be shooting off the shelf stuff, but will also hand load some too.