Good stuff here, thank you guys. I HATE INSTALLING PILLARS

If you think action screw torque is important, then pillars are necessary. Plastic and wood and laminate will compress. If you are using a stock that has factory pillars......make sure they are actually touching the action.

I am always concerned about not getting the action in the stock level. That is the main reason I do the bedding in 2 steps, pillars first. There is less goo, so I feel I can keep the action level. I also use witness marks on the stock and tape. Then I can use the action screws to pull the action into the epoxy. I do not remove material from the bearing area of the stock until after the pillars are in. I use 1/2 pillars and drill a 5/8 hole with a forstner bit to get a level bottom in the front and the rear goes all the way, pillar rests against the trigger guard, so you must use a metal trigger guard.

I tried Devcon that comes in the 1 oz tubes, with the 60 min working time..... DON'T.... it is way to runny. Would be ok for the 1st step, installing pillars. Did I say .... I HATE INSTALLING PILLARS

Bill