Thread: I'm thinking about adding a Boyds stock to my axis 308.

Tinch300

I'm thinking about adding a Boyds stock to my axis 308.

Is it worth the gain in accuracy and durability.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinch300 View Post
    Is it worth the gain in accuracy and durability.
    If I was to do it over again, I would save the $150 or so and just reinforce the axis stock, at least the factory axis stock has pillars. I personally haven't, but some have had problems with the mag latch on the Boyd's Axis stock.
    Last edited by NFD9; 01-12-2016 at 11:23 AM.

triehl27
    I'm with 69hdfl, I dropped 300 on a fully decked out Boyds, and am back on the OEM Axis HB stock that I modded to suit me. Too much weight gain for my preference. Once the OEM was stiffened, it shoots to .20MOA all day long now.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by triehl27 View Post
    Too much weight gain for my preference.
    I Agree!
    Ok from a bench or bipod, but too much to carry all day.

Tinch300
    I'm using it as a rugged hunting rifle so I agree also.

Basic Member
    Works great on sporter barreled 308's. A little heavier (1lb more then oem) then they have to be but.. Custom lop, stability and balance make the switch worthwhile imo.

I do wonder if the Maple would be lighter? To bad the Boyds rep hasn't been posting here like she used to.

Quote Originally Posted by triehl27 View Post
    I'm with 69hdfl, I dropped 300 on a fully decked out Boyds, and am back on the OEM Axis HB stock that I modded to suit me. Too much weight gain for my preference. Once the OEM was stiffened, it shoots to .20MOA all day long now.
    It's worth noting, however, that any combination of gun, ammo, shooter, and conditions that shoots statistically significant, 0.2 MOA groups all day long is a rare beast: not unfamiliar to the likes of serious benchrest shooters and well WELL beyond the needs of practical and even most precision marksmanship.

As alluded in this thread, the worth of installing a Boyds stock depends greatly on what you want to do with your rifle. If you're looking to save weight, the plastic stock is the way to go, though I'd suggest the Axis and Savages in general might not be the best choices. Depending on the type of scope you want to use and the shape of your face, you may find the comb of the factory stock is a bit too low. That can be corrected with the installation of a cheek riser, but be sure to chalk that up to the accounting of the total cost and sweat equity you'll be putting into the factory stock. Do you plan on keeping the factory barrel or at least staying with that contour? The factory stock and a few Boyds models will handle it but nothing much wider.

I have several Axises, and most are in Boyds stocks (three in the Tacticool alone). These guns were all built for a purpose: long range shooting, mainly from bipod prone. I have one Axis project built as a rifle zone deer gun, and it has been purposely left in an unaltered factory stock. With its short, sporter-weight barrel the whole package was designed to be easy to carry in wooded terrain. With a muzzle brake I don't need extra weight to absorb recoil. And with a small, low scope, I don't have to raise my greasy cheek off the stock to look through the center of the glass. I also have a shotgun zone deer gun built to roughly the same ideal, but I opted for a Boyds Platinum because the .450 Bushmaster barrels I could find were all varmint contour. It also doesn't have muzzle threads, so the extra weight makes it more comfortable to shoot.

Speaking of that, if you do go Boyds, consider the Limbsaver recoil pad upgrade. Say what I will about their prices and materials, you can't buy a Limbsaver pad for that price, let alone have it installed!
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 01-12-2016 at 04:07 PM.