Thread: new savage 11, rough looking barrel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Basic Member
    Brownells makes a lapping kit that is comprised of JB Bore paste, Kroil and a kind of felt pellet. It works pretty well from my experience. I have used it and I like the results. It may not completely eliminate your train tracks but I think it should help.

new savage 11, rough looking barrel

Quote Originally Posted by AbitNutz View Post
    Brownells makes a lapping kit that is comprised of JB Bore paste, Kroil and a kind of felt pellet. It works pretty well from my experience. I have used it and I like the results. It may not completely eliminate your train tracks but I think it should help.
    That amount of chatter is not going to be smoothed out easily by any means, and probably if you were to be somehow able to polish it all away, it would probably not shoot as well any more. I do agree that they shouldn't leave the factory looking like that, but the cure may be worse than the disease if you try to remove this much metal. You would almost certainly need to re-crown the barrel if you polished all that out all the way to the muzzle. Again, I'd try shooting it first to see how it does. Unless you just can't live with the appearance, or the fouling. Then I'd just send it back, as Jim suggested.
    Edited to add: That roughness should have been honed out at the factory prior to rifling, in my opinion. Most other gunmakers do that, some better than others. This is not to be confused with the hand-lapping that better aftermarket barrels get, though.
    Last edited by barrel-nut; 10-30-2015 at 01:22 PM.