Thread: Scope mount holes canted

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Speedrat1
    Merrixs has a good take on the functional part... if the scope is installed perfectly level to a perfectly level receiver elevation adjustments should be consistent. If the base holes, centerline of front base to rear base, are not in line with the bore then that would throw a windage error into the mix. Short of chucking it in a lathe or an accurate setup table though that's a pretty hard thing to set up. If it were mine I'd sight it in for the longest range I wanted to use or take the receiver to a smith that can mill or bore the holes in the correct place. 2cents........

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedrat1 View Post
    or take the receiver to a smith that can mill or bore the holes in the correct place
    Thats my plans. I just wanted to see if this was something that has happened on other rifles, or if I got the only bad one.

I am aware that a offset scope can work, its just not the most ideal setup. Since the bore centerline and the scope centerline are not paralell, once you get it sighted in at a specifc range, the POI is basicly a intersection of the rifle and scope. When you change distance, the point of intersection changes and you will no longer be hitting where the crosshairs are pointed. You will need to adjust (both windage and elevation) of the scope for the new range. Where if the scope is perfectly centered (and no wind) you should only have to adjust elevation when changing distances.
    It was a couple years ago this happened, so my memory faded a bit, but I originally typed it wrong and it took me a bit to jog my memory. It was my windage that changed when I went from 100 to 200 yards. I adjusted my windage to get it back on center and thats when the elevation changed. I was using 3 shot groups.