Thread: Model 112/Series J

pyscodog

Model 112/Series J

I bought one of these today from a guy at work. Its in really good condition for it age. Sorta bought it sight unseen but for what I paid and what I got, I'm pleased. Just don't know alot about the J series. Its a single shot in 223AI. I know it didn't come Ackleyed. Its supposed to be very low round count and its in VGC with minor bruises on the stock. Manly curious of age and value, the rest is pretty obvious. Thanks-pyscodog

Basic Member

Re: Model 112/Series J

I don't think they came as a single shot either. Does it have a single shot follower added? If so, you could turn it back to a repeater.
    Friends don't let friends use see through scope mounts. No offense.

Cover Dog

Yes, they did come single shot. That came before the repeater, it was called the Varminter and should have checkering only on the pistol grip. Model is 112V. I have a 22-250 112R "J" series (blind magazine repeater) I bought new in 1979 first year for the repeater.

ellobo

The J or letter desigantion was used to denote a change to the design or so I am told. But, many of the first generation actions for short action cartridges were made on long actions, 110. It should say 110 on the barrel. The action mounting screw distances should be 4.522 inches. The next generation of short action screw spacing should be 4.275

Ell Lobo

pyscodog

Cover Dog and Ellobo are both correct. It is a factory single shot, it also has checkering on the grip only and it say Model 112 Series J on the barrel. I was told it originally was a 222 but he previous owner had it bumped to a 223 Ackley. He claimed he shot 20 rounds and its been a safe queen ever since.

ellobo

It should be a good shooter. Just make sure the barrel and tang are freefloated, mtg screws are correctly torqued (30 inch/lbs) and dont protrude into the bolt channel. It is undoubtably a flat rear reciever so make sure the scope base is correct for that reciever. If it has been a gun safe occupant for a long time, some judicious oil on appropriate places may be needed. And make sure nothing is living in the barrel. I have had barrels with insect occupants in the past. It can be converted to other short action cartridges like .308 with a bolt head change and a different magazine box.

El Lobo

dcloco

Believe you should sell it....to me! :)

IMHO, believe the J series single shot actions are some of the best Savage ever offered. Believe the action metal is a little better than now. Barrels seem to good as well.

to get the age of it you will need to run the serial number. Savage can surely tell you if you call them, or pm MadDog here on the site and can tell you as well.

As far as value, that really depends on the buyer. Aftermarket stocks are impossible to find(over-the-counter),so you have them special ordered. I know the one I had in 22-250, I paid $450 for it and it came with a fixed 12x leupold scope, but I think i got an excellent deal on that one. It was actually probably worth close to that without the scope. Mine shot extremely well, the action was smooth as silk, and the single-shot setup is great for bench or varminting. Great old rifles for sure.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

pyscodog

The price on mine was good enough that I bought it sight unseen! It has already got the clean and oil treatment. About the stocks, aren't these rifles just a regular old long action? I guess it doesn't matter, I kinda like the old wood stock. Maybe some pillars and a good bedding job and leave it be.

dcloco

I would not even bother with pillars. Prior to the bedding compounds in use now, pillars had their place and still do in some applications. (IMHO)

Bed as normal. When you torque the action bolts, now the entire action is in contact with the bedding compound...therefore the stock.

Quote Originally Posted by pyscodog
    About the stocks, aren't these rifles just a regular old long action? I guess it doesn't matter, I kinda like the old wood stock.
    Well, that is where it usually gets confusing...LOL

Most likely yours is what Savage calls an "intermediate short action", also commonly referred to as a "J" action. These actions have a screw spacing of 4.522", compared to a true long actions spacing of 5.0". This was their first attempt at a short action for the smaller cartridges.

They did however have some years where the shorter cartridges were made on a true long action, before this action was produced I believe.

Just measure your action screw spacing to be positive which you have, but I'm pretty sure it'll be the intermediate action.

Still waiting to see pics of said rifle... LOL
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood