• How to: Ejector Install and Removal

    Another question that gets asked quite often on the forum is how to replace the ejector. To answer this (hopefully once and for all), I once again grabbed up the camera and snapped some pics to demonstrate the installation of the Ejector assembly. And of course by reversing the procedure you can disassemble as well. Let's get started.


    Here we have a bolt head with the Extractor installed, but void of the Ejector parts. Note: always a great idea to clean the Ejector's blind holes with a little gun or parts cleaner. Of course wear eye protection and do in a ventilated area as cleaners often emit fumes.




    Next we need to insert the Ejector Spring into the blind hole. Note: I left this spring sticking out a bit for illustrative purposes. Normally the spring will be below the face surface of the bolt head when fully inserted.




    Now we are going to insert the Ejector Plunger into the blind hole. There is a flat machined into the side of the Plunger, the flat is closer to one end than the other. The "shorter" end needs to go into the blind hole, with the "longer" end sticking out.




    Now, take the Retaining pin and start it into the hole on the side of the bolt head. I am showing it here starting from the side with little flat machined into the bolt head, but some bolt heads allow the pin from either side, and some just from one side or the other so some experimentation on your specific bolt head may be required to determine which direction works best for your situation.




    Comments 23 Comments
    1. Dennis's Avatar
      Dennis -
      Great information,
      Dennis
    1. silverduck's Avatar
      silverduck -
      Dennis,
      Thank you for the demo, very professional .
      I appreciate that you sent me the kits[to replace the lost ones]You will get my business in the future!
      Take care, Michael
    1. Dennis's Avatar
      Dennis -
      silverduck,

      I wish I could take credit for the demo, but bootsmcguire takes that credit.

      I am glad you received the kits.

      Dennis
    1. villarreal's Avatar
      villarreal -
      Very good info, thanks.
    1. OldSoldier97's Avatar
      OldSoldier97 -
      Again, just like the extractor, great, simple and a lot shorter than the YouTube explanation videos. Thank You!
      Now to decide what Magnum caliber to start with :)
    1. jerry shaw's Avatar
      jerry shaw -
      Very helpful. Thanks.
    1. C7AR15's Avatar
      C7AR15 -
      I have been on this site 2 minutes and found an excellent answer, with pictures, colored arrows and a great fix to my problem Thanks for your hard work in putting this together JD
    1. pdog2062's Avatar
      pdog2062 -
      Instead of using fired brass to depress the ejector I put a 1/4 inch drive socket in the bolt head and put it in a vise. This gives two hands free.Only works on 308 heads.
    1. bootsmcguire's Avatar
      bootsmcguire -
      Quote Originally Posted by pdog2062 View Post
      Instead of using fired brass to depress the ejector I put a 1/4 inch drive socket in the bolt head and put it in a vise. This gives two hands free.Only works on 308 heads.
      You could also use a pc of 45ACP brass in that situation.
    1. toppert's Avatar
      toppert -
      Thank you very much!!!
    1. savage2014's Avatar
      savage2014 -
      great info, thank you very much
    1. scpaul's Avatar
      scpaul -
      Thanks, great for future referance, I"ll need it soon, Paul
    1. scpaul's Avatar
      scpaul -
      Well, I said future referance, guess what happened to me/my rifle today? I really do appreciate it now!
    1. Texas10's Avatar
      Texas10 -
      Very helpful article, and if I may be so bold, I'd like to add some detail that will greatly increase odds of a successful install, and not end up with a damaged retainer pin stuck in the bolt head...don't ask me how I know.

      To start with, get your hands on a 1/16" pin punch or drill bit, and a cartridge case. Note that the pictured bolt head is a right eject style, for a left eject you'll be doing the opposite that I describe.

      In general, you want to install the retainer pin starting on the side of the bolt that the ejector hole is located. On the pictured bolt head, this would be on the side with the machined flat however, on a left ejecting head, the flat is on the same side as the picture, but the retainer pin would be installed opposite the flat.

      Assemble the ejector and spring as shown. Snap a cartridge case into the head and pull it straight, compressing the spring and ejector. I am right handed so I hold the bolt in my left hand and use my index finger to hold the cartridge against the spring.
      Slide the 1/16 punch or drill bit into the retainer hole starting on the side opposite the flat. Push it through to the opposite side. It should almost, but not quite protrude from the head. You can remove the cartridge case at his point as it's job is done.
      Now slide the retainer pin into the head from the flat side as shown in the picture, and tap it in using a suitable driver such as a small hammer, driving the drill bit or pin punch out the opposite side as you go.
      Again, if working on a left ejecting head, work from the opposite side as in the picture.

      This method will insure that the ejector is deep enough and is not cocked in the bolt head, causing the retainer pin to become damaged while tapping in. It'll also keep parts from flying all over the shop. Don't ask....
    1. Timberking 1955's Avatar
      Timberking 1955 -
      Question?? I have a 10/110 predator hunter max 1 in .223, I'm having Ejection problems. I pull the bolt back and the spent shell just lays on top of the mag...Extraction from the chamber is fine.. Now if yank the bolt back, like I'm tying to rip the bolt handle off.... It sometimes will Eject! All I can say is WTF... I've taken the the ejector out, cleaned it re-installed.. NO CHANGE.....Any thoughts on this???
    1. SageRat Shooter's Avatar
      SageRat Shooter -
      It's probably the ejector spring, detent ball, and maybe the extractor... Savage is known to have rather "weak" extractors and ejectors... There is a replacement kit out there... I did that n my Axis and it is now ejecting again.
    1. Timberking 1955's Avatar
      Timberking 1955 -
      Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
      It's probably the ejector spring, detent ball, and maybe the extractor... Savage is known to have rather "weak" extractors and ejectors... There is a replacement kit out there... I did that n my Axis and it is now ejecting again.
      It's to bad that you go out , buy a new rifle and the first thing you have to do is replace parts. Down right suck. I will say I like the trigger and it's a tack driver. It would be nice if it was a reliable rifle..
    1. SageRat Shooter's Avatar
      SageRat Shooter -
      Quote Originally Posted by Timberking 1955 View Post
      It's to bad that you go out , buy a new rifle and the first thing you have to do is replace parts. Down right suck. I will say I like the trigger and it's a tack driver. It would be nice if it was a reliable rifle..
      It will be.... Just gotta get the kinks worked out... Once you get it right, it'll be "good to go"... Funny story for you... I just bought a brand new 2017 RAM 1500 that I've put just over 2000 miles on.... (haven't even made my first payment yet) I have to take it in to the shop to have them fix the driver side passenger door handle (on the inside) as it's already trying to pop out of the door assembly.... You'd think that it would be perfect from top to bottom for what they cost these days...
    1. Texas10's Avatar
      Texas10 -
      Two thing you can do. Get an improved extractor kit from Sharp Shooters Supply https://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

      and replace the extractor steel ball with a .140. http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...or-detent-ball

      These mods will help however, the real issue is that once the 223 cartridge case mouth exits the breech, it slams against the bolt abutment (frequently denting the case on the sharp corner) and it is this jarring that causes the extractor to let go. Moving the bolt rearward quicker helps, as you've noticed, but the heavy spring on the ejector and weak extractor spring are big factors. You can clip a loop or two off the ejector spring too and see if that improves the ejection.

      I removed the ejector from my 223 for target use. Made more sense than constantly chasing my carefully prepared brass. If going hunting, I simply put it back in.
    1. Timberking 1955's Avatar
      Timberking 1955 -
      Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
      Two thing you can do. Get an improved extractor kit from Sharp Shooters Supply https://www.sharpshootersupply.com/

      and replace the extractor steel ball with a .140. http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...or-detent-ball

      These mods will help however, the real issue is that once the 223 cartridge case mouth exits the breech, it slams against the bolt abutment (frequently denting the case on the sharp corner) and it is this jarring that causes the extractor to let go. Moving the bolt rearward quicker helps, as you've noticed, but the heavy spring on the ejector and weak extractor spring are big factors. You can clip a loop or two off the ejector spring too and see if that improves the ejection.

      I removed the ejector from my 223 for target use. Made more sense than constantly chasing my carefully prepared brass. If going hunting, I simply put it back in.
      Texas10, Thanks for all the good info. I took the ejector out of the bolt, cleaned and polished. Then it worked about 1/2 the time. Was searching the internet and found a couple of old posts, Saying some brass ejected better than other's. Due to the thickness of the rim". I put it to the test over the weekend. Winchester, Remington 2 out of 5 would lay in the action. PCM 1 out of 5 . Switch to Federal and Lake City 5 out of 5 ... I'll see how it works out in the long run..
      What part of Texas are you in? Lipan here



  • Help support Savage Shooters by
    joining Team Savage today!


    Upgrade to Team Savage