PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 11 Hog Hunter questions

Pages : [1] 2

Raydee38
11-02-2013, 09:20 AM
I am going to buy a Hog Hunter this weekend with the plans of putting the action in a XLR chassis. I will have to remove the iron sights from the barrel and just wanted to see if anyone here has a picture of what the barrel looks like with the sights removed?

Also is there any difference between the 110 action the the Hog Hunter action? My plan is to make this into a med distance precision shooter for just punching paper but like always I am on a budget.

Ackevor
11-02-2013, 10:16 AM
Here is link for sight removal with a couple pictures after, http://www.tacticalworks.com/tacticalblog/project-savage-front-sight-removal/ .

Mechanicaly nothing. There are some variations so a few better questions to ask when looking for aftermarket or replacement parts are; what type of trigger? What type of feed(action screw spacing and magazine is relevent)? What type of bolt release/trigger guard top or bottom release. That probably raises a few more questions if your not familiar with savages. To make matters worse, we are noticing that Center Feed DBM's are seeing some changes lately as well. The 16 series is stainless. the 14 series can be either SS or CS.

Just to add to what stangfish has said, here is a basic summary of identifying a Savage:

Short Actions are 2-digit numbers, Long Actions are 3 Digit Numbers

10/110 - Old Designation Sporter Series, Current Designation Law Enforcement Series
11/111 - Current Designation Sporter Series
12/112 - Varmint Series (Some models available in Stainless)
14/114 - Classic Series (High Luster Blue sometimes also SS, High Grade Wood Stocks)
16/116 - Weather Warrior Series (SS, Synthetic, Sporter & Mag Contoured Barrels)
Target Action Guns ( 12 F/TR, 12 F-Class, 12 Palma, Etc.)
Mod. 25 & 40 - Light Vamint Series
Axis - Entry Level Sporter with DBM (all the same action length, but different from 10/110 to 16/116 series')
Stevens 200 - Same as 11/111 except no Accutrigger (old style side bolt release only)

10/110, 11/111, 12/112, 14,114, 16/116 Series' Action Lengths:
Short Action: Staggerfeed Mag = 4.27" screw spacing,
Centerfeed Mag = 4.40" screw spacing
Intermediate Action: Staggerfeed Mag, 4.522" screw spacing, often called "J Series"
Long Action: Staggerfeed Mag = 5.062" screw spacing
Centerfeed Mag = 5.062" screw spacing
PTA action: Same size as Short action, has 3 action screws, 3.44" or 4.40" spacing

Shank size is normally the small/standard shank (1.055"-20TPI) unless it is a PTA based action or chambered for a WSM, SAUM, RUM, or H&H based caliber. These are the Large Shank (1.125"-20TPI). However there are exceptions depending on age of the gun as early WSMs were Small Shank. 99% of the time the above applies but best to measure to know for sure.

The Axis, 25, and 40 all have different action types then the rest and as such parts are generally not compatible, except Axis barrels are compatable with standard shank Savage. Axis Triggers can be modified to work with the Accu-trigger and there are now aftermarket choices.

AK - Adjustable Muzzle Brake
B - Laminate Stock
BT - Laminated Thumbhole Stock
C - Clip (Detachable Box Magazine)
F - Synthetic Stock
G - Hardwood Stock
H - Hinged Floorplate
K - Non-adjustable Muzzle Brake
L - Left Hand
ML - Muzzleloader
NS - No Sights
P - Police
SS - Stainless Steel
SR - Supressor Ready (Threaded Muzzle)
T - (Rimfire) Peep Sights
V - Long-Range (Heavy Barrel)
XP - Package Gun
Y - Youth

Now on the 10 thru 116 guns, most the newer guns are going to the bottom bolt release and have centerfeed magazines. The older ones have the side release and were made with centerfeed magazines and Staggerfeed magazines (older and no longer made). However there are certain new models that still retain the side bolt release (example: The Hog Hunter series).

Raydee38
11-02-2013, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the info. I guess I will wait for the rifle to come in before I order my chassis, that way I can measure the bolt spacing.

Ackevor
11-02-2013, 10:34 AM
The chambering determines bolt spacing. If its 308 or less its 11 short action, if its 338 its 111 long action. I beleive everything made after 2005 is centerfed now so I am almost positive it will be 4.40" spacing. Kyle at XLR may already know the answer for you. Wont hurt to ask, if he does you can get a head start on your lead time

wlleven
11-02-2013, 07:42 PM
I am going to buy a Hog Hunter this weekend with the plans of putting the action in a XLR chassis. I will have to remove the iron sights from the barrel and just wanted to see if anyone here has a picture of what the barrel looks like with the sights removed?

Also is there any difference between the 110 action the the Hog Hunter action? My plan is to make this into a med distance precision shooter for just punching paper but like always I am on a budget.

Just a side note....you can never have enough Hog Hunters, love that gun !

wll

Raydee38
11-02-2013, 07:50 PM
Good because I purchased one today :-)

wlleven
11-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Good because I purchased one today :-)

if you don't like it, I'll buy it from you !

For what the gun is, a short hunting gun, I don't think it can be beat.

If you plan on hunting Hog, Whitetail, Elk at a reasonable range and in brushy, forest environments .... IMHO this is the gun !

I love the way I have mine set up (I must send Pics) ... I have kept the original stock (no, this is not a bench rest gun and I don't plan on shooting over 200 yds. with it), I have added a Cooley muzzle break to help with recoil as I don't plan on shooting this off the bench and ticking off my fellow shooters.

My scope is a Weaver 1-3 V Classic as I wanted low profile and a good field of view for a short range gun !

This gun will be sighted in using 150gr copper bullets and that is it, it will be sighted in (depending on velocity) to be on at ~ 175-200 yds. I can't imagine I need any thing more !.

Being I live in Kalifornia, and don't have any real dangerous large game, and this is my set up.

If I lived where brown bears were than I may go for 175 gr ? or Hornady 220gr round nose ... but that is a different thread ;- ) .... maybe not, as the pure copper bullets penetrate, maybe I would stay the course, as my favorite president said ;- )

wll

Silvercrow1
11-02-2013, 11:23 PM
Hi Raydee- Just this past week I purchased my Hog Hunter in .308. Man, I love the feel, the look, the way it shoulders, everything about it! I'll be using it to punch some paper and to do some mid-range hunting. Dont have the cash for a scope yet (fortunate enough I got the gun) but I took her out the next day and shot with the iron sights. (BTW- good sights IMO for a gun this price) After "sighting it in" at 50 yards, I shot a three shot group at just under 1" @ 100 yds using the irons! Dang near a miracle for my 58 year old eyes! Granted it was a large target, but a group is a group. Used HSM 168 Gr. HP (Sierra) LC/7 brass. Gonna be reloading for this gun when I can get components together.

In my life, my two hobbies / pursuits are shooting and guitars. Over the years I got to "just know" when a gun or guitar and I were gonna "bond". I knew it the minute I picked up my Hog Hunter!

Best wishes with yours! BTW- this is THE FORUM for friendliness, helpfulness and knowledge in all things shooting and Savage! Brian

Raydee38
11-03-2013, 09:41 AM
Thanks for all the replies. To me the nice part about the Hog Hunter is that I can use it the way it sits in the stock form or change out the barrel myself if I ever want to do some long range shooting in the future. Right now 100-300 yards is about as far as I will be shooting the rifle so I think the 20" barrel will do great. It seems like the biggest complaint is the stock but I am going to be swapping that out almost right away. Other than the stock most people are saying that the Hog Hunter is a real sleeper in the Savage lineup. I am sure it is over looked often because of the iron sights and because it doesn't come with the Accu-stock.

wlleven
11-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Thanks for all the replies. To me the nice part about the Hog Hunter is that I can use it the way it sits in the stock form or change out the barrel myself if I ever want to do some long range shooting in the future. Right now 100-300 yards is about as far as I will be shooting the rifle so I think the 20" barrel will do great. It seems like the biggest complaint is the stock but I am going to be swapping that out almost right away. Other than the stock most people are saying that the Hog Hunter is a real sleeper in the Savage lineup. I am sure it is over looked often because of the iron sights and because it doesn't come with the Accu-stock.

Well I may be the only one, but I love the ugly green stock. I don't plan on shooting over 200-250 yards ever, and the way the Hog Hunter shoots when in the field with good ammo I'm sure is way over my ability. I have Federal 150gr Trophy Copper, and will be reloading Barnes 150gr tipped copper also.

I get my second Hog Hunter tomorrow and will be setting it up exactly like the first, two piece bases (I like them in the field), Leupold QD low rings, a Weaver 1-3 variable Classic scope in flat black, and a Cooley large muzzle break....it's the bomb for me :-)

wll

Raydee38
11-03-2013, 04:23 PM
Which Cooley OD do you go with that fits the muzzle flush?

Rifleshooter308
11-03-2013, 04:52 PM
If you think you'll ever paint the rifle just fill the sight holes with JB weld and sand smooth. I cerakoted mine and you would never tell there were holes there. The 20" threaded 1/10 twist medium varmint contour makes for is a useful rifle. I move mine fron an XLR chassis to a Bobby Hart LRP and back to the Tupperware for stalking. In stock form it's really light and handy for tight brush. With a base coat of Cerakote I use Krylon to change up my camo patterns. The Krylon just washes away with brake cleaner over Cerakote. It's really one cool stick for the $$$.

wlleven
11-03-2013, 05:05 PM
Which Cooley OD do you go with that fits the muzzle flush?

I use the big break with a .750 barrel to muzzel break fit.

wll

Raydee38
11-03-2013, 06:39 PM
Ok good, I know there is a lot of hate for muzzle breaks but I find that they keep the scope on target and allow you to see your shots much better than without one. How well does the Cooley work for you?

wlleven
11-03-2013, 07:47 PM
Ok good, I know there is a lot of hate for muzzle breaks but I find that they keep the scope on target and allow you to see your shots much better than without one. How well does the Cooley work for you?

I must tell you it works very , very well.

The recoil of the Hog Hunter in 308 is about like a 223 when using a Cooley large break. Yes, it is loud, but every body wears ears, and yes for hunting too. The fact that I can relax and aim and not worried about getting kicked silly is a big deal !

wll

derek1387
11-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Well, I am basically going to take the trigger, action, and barrel and build a long range precision setup.

I am just happy I have something I can get parts for now!

wlleven
11-03-2013, 09:06 PM
Well, I am basically going to take the trigger, action, and barrel and build a long range precision setup.

I am just happy I have something I can get parts for now!

Well i know of one of the guys on this forum that has turned his Hog Hunter into an awesome machine.

Check out the picture forums under something like; "not your daddy's Hog Hunter " or something of that nature. It is an awesome rifle for sure !

wll

Raydee38
11-10-2013, 10:53 AM
Well I still haven't received my Hog Hunter yet but I have ordered the a bunch of parts already for my precision build. I am curious what you guys think of the stock AccuTrigger? I see that for about $5 I can get the Accutrigger spring from the target action and that will bring the trigger pull weight down a good amount. At this point all I need to get my build complete is a AICS 10 round 223 mag and a scope base. Hopefully by next weekend everything will be in and I can start my build.

derek1387
11-10-2013, 04:53 PM
Nice! I just got mine and finished the build last night. Am very happy with it and am sure you will like yours as well.

dnsmith
11-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Well I still haven't received my Hog Hunter yet but I have ordered the a bunch of parts already for my precision build. I am curious what you guys think of the stock AccuTrigger? I see that for about $5 I can get the Accutrigger spring from the target action and that will bring the trigger pull weight down a good amount. At this point all I need to get my build complete is a AICS 10 round 223 mag and a scope base. Hopefully by next weekend everything will be in and I can start my build.

Mine went down to 2.5#, with room to spare. I would NOT want the target accutrigger on this gun, with their tendency to disengage. then again, I've been humpin mine in the woods. for strictly a range gun it might be fine