Thread: 12FV 6.5 Grendel Build

12FV 6.5 Grendel Build

I thought this would be a fun one to post up, a 6.5 Grendel built off of a Cabela's 12FV. I got the bolt head from Sharp Shooter Supply and the barrel is a 26" X-Caliber 1:8 heavy palma. I managed to chase up a savage 4.4" AICS stock for it and I'm really happy with how it came out; it's a lot of fun to shoot. Right now I'm just using a MagPul AICS magazine, and it won't feed if I have more than 5 rounds in the magazine-it starts to bulge on the sides. It works "okay" for 5 founds though. Sometime I'd love to get my hands on a correct 6mm PPC magazine and see if that works better.

I'm pleased with how it groups. I've heard 6.5 Grendel can be finicky to load for, but I think most people are loading it in an AR platform gun. I've found it to be basically okay in this bolt action. Pretty standard load, 27.5 Gr 8208XBR with a 123 ELD-M.

Congratulations on choosing a fine cartridge and getting very good accuracy!

Haha, thank you. It just seems like so much fun! Little more oomph than a .223 but not blowing up as much powder as a x51 or variant cartridge.

I had a Grendel in the AR platform a few years ago and it was unimpressive in the accuracy department at 200 yards so got rid of it. I've been toying with the idea of a bolt action Grendel just to see how accurate the cartridge can be. Looks like it worth the effort!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    I had a Grendel in the AR platform a few years ago and it was unimpressive in the accuracy department at 200 yards so got rid of it. I've been toying with the idea of a bolt action Grendel just to see how accurate the cartridge can be. Looks like it worth the effort!
    From a fellow Vietnam Vet, I'm glad you made it back!

Regarding unimpressive accuracy, I do know that the AR platform has a reputation for sloppy groups. That said, many folks on the Grendel Forum report better than MOA accuracy and a few see better than 0.5 MOA. Now, most of us don't report the lousy groups partly because we think we can "alibi" the poor patterns, so getting a real handle on nominal AR accuracy can be a challenge.

The Savage can turn in very accurate groups, especially with a cartridge like the Grendel. I wildcatted the Grendel to 20 caliber on the Model 16 a few years back. I rarely saw groups larger than 1.25 inches at 100 yards, and had a few loads that did better than 0.5 MOA. The 12 FV should do at least as well, especially if the builder and shooter do their parts.

Basic Member
    I have a pal-meadow 6.5 Grendel . I group about 5/8 to 3/4 max 7/8. I use 30. 6 cfe 223 . I am curious what speeds you get with your load . Very nice gun and group . Did you get the bolt head from Pacific tool n gauge .

Quote Originally Posted by JASmith View Post
    From a fellow Vietnam Vet, I'm glad you made it back!

Regarding unimpressive accuracy, I do know that the AR platform has a reputation for sloppy groups. That said, many folks on the Grendel Forum report better than MOA accuracy and a few see better than 0.5 MOA. Now, most of us don't report the lousy groups partly because we think we can "alibi" the poor patterns, so getting a real handle on nominal AR accuracy can be a challenge.

The Savage can turn in very accurate groups, especially with a cartridge like the Grendel. I wildcatted the Grendel to 20 caliber on the Model 16 a few years back. I rarely saw groups larger than 1.25 inches at 100 yards, and had a few loads that did better than 0.5 MOA. The 12 FV should do at least as well, especially if the builder and shooter do their parts.
    Thanks JAS. Best my Grendel AR would do was 1.25" at 200 yards no matter what tricks, bullets, powders, OAL or primer combos I tried so I gave up on it. I even tried Hornady BlackBox factory ammo and it was still unimpressive.

Thanks JAS. Best my Grendel AR would do was 1.25" at 200 yards no matter what tricks, bullets, powders, OAL or primer combos I tried so I gave up on it. I even tried Hornady BlackBox factory ammo and it was still unimpressive.
    Wow! That 1.25” at 200 yards is about 0.6” at 100 yards or about 0.55 MOA. it looks like your experience was on the good side of my understanding of the mainstream for all new-design rifles in today’s world.

Be sure you’ve got a good ‘smith or work diligently assembling the 12FV if you want to see it produce groups significantly better than you got with the AR.

Quote Originally Posted by JASmith View Post
    Wow! That 1.25” at 200 yards is about 0.6” at 100 yards or about 0.55 MOA. it looks like your experience was on the good side of my understanding of the mainstream for all new-design rifles in today’s world.

Be sure you’ve got a good ‘smith or work diligently assembling the 12FV if you want to see it produce groups significantly better than you got with the AR.
    After reading about the accuracy experiences of Grendel owners on the Grendel Forum, I couldn't come near the groups they were showing. 1.25" was the best I could get, on occasion. Norm was closer to MOA.

Team Savage
    I owned a Howa Mini in 6.5 Grendel for a while. Even after I chopped down the stock and lightened it to sub-6 lbs. scoped, it was still the most accurate rifle I've ever owned. I shot plenty of 1" groups at 200 yards with it, and cloverleafs at 100 routinely.

My best hunting load was a 130 Grain Sierra TGK over LeverEvolution powder. Most accurate load was as above - 123 ELD-M's over 8208XBR

I eventually sold it because I got bored with it. LOL

Banned
    After reading about the accuracy experiences of Grendel owners on the Grendel Forum, I couldn't come near the groups they were showing. 1.25" was the best I could get, on occasion. Norm was closer to MOA.

Since when is MOA BAD?? Especially when talking about an AR15! I hope, at least, this is an AR YOU assembled. Please don’t tell me this is a manufacturers complete?? If you put it together with premium parts....maybe a Match stainless, heavy barrel...scope(of course). Then I will agree, not earth shattering impressive. But if you did this with a standard off the shelf AR, with 5.56 chamber, Milspec barrel, etc......then SUB-1MOA is VERY impressive!