Thread: cdi bottom metal on trigger guard bolt release gun?

coolhandluke

cdi bottom metal on trigger guard bolt release gun?

Hey guys, just a quick probably dumb question. I'm interested in the cdi bottom metal on my 11 trohphy hunter I bought, but i doubt it will work because my gun has the bolt release in front of the trigger guard. Is that correct? And can it be changed to the older style so I can use the cdi?
    Thanks!
    Luke

palerider338
    There is a way to change the bolt release back to the older style. I think that both XLR and CDI use a similar "fix" for that issue. I recall seeing a thread on this forum somewhere with pix as to how to do it.
    Maybe someone else here knows where to find it.

ODA 0121
    cool,
    I've seen both, the CDI solution seemed rigged and looked sloppy, the XLR chassis is more internal and solid. On the XLR site there are photos of a 10 in the chassis to look at.

bodywerks
    For probably $50 machine shop labor and an $8 sear you can have a factory-looking top bolt release. The machine shop (gunsmith) pay is to mill .080" off the back side of the receiver to allow relief for the new sear that has the bolt release up by the receiver. This is exactly what I'm doing to an action I'm having rebarreled off my fcp-k.

coolhandluke
    That 10 on xlr's website has the bolt release on the trigger guard also, or am I looking at the picture wrong? I sure don't see a bolt release up top.
    Now the choice is between getting a stock (I was looking at the choate tactical), and having it inletted for the cdi, so I'm looking at $200 stock, $265 bottom metal and inletting, or $750 for the xlr. It seems like the xlr would be a better choice. Time to start saving my change

palerider338
    @ coolhandluke: Haven't seen that one on the XLR site yet. Check the WTS forum.....there is one of the members ( cjgemm) with a LA XLR w/ VBull bottom metal for sale.

And we thought that this was going to be a cheap hobby !!! LOL
    Last edited by palerider338; 03-06-2013 at 05:36 PM.

coolhandluke
    wts forum?.

palerider338
    Yeah....Member Classifieds....Savage Parts... Thread about 1/2 way down by cjgemm..."Savage stocks, Barrels and SS RH Long action "
    Last edited by palerider338; 03-06-2013 at 06:52 PM.

tipper999
    CDI does make the DBM you need check there site

coolhandluke
    Thanks, I peruse the classifieds but didn't see that one. two problems though, it's spf and my gun is left handed

Quote Originally Posted by palerider338 View Post
    Yeah....Member Classifieds....Savage Parts... Thread about 1/2 way down by cjgemm..."Savage stocks, Barrels and SS RH Long action "

coolhandluke
    Well, cdi said the could set me up with the trigger guard bolt release, I would have to buy a bottom metal from a gun with the accustock, so to go with the cdi and a choate stock it's going to end up costing me around $600.

So I've decided to go with the XLR. I talked to Kyle with xlr and he said they can do a stock with the bolt release in the trigger guard for no extra charge, and I'm going to get my order in and give them the deposit next Wednesday when I get paid

bodywerks
    why would you first have to buy a bottom metal from an accustock setup in order to buy a CDI bottom metal? Makes zero sense whatsoever.
    But I guess it doesn't matter since the XLR is the better choice between your two options anyway...

stangfish
    If I was going to mill a flat on a reciever I think I would do it on the left(right) side and modify the seer. I think Sharpshooter had a picture of that finished project.

coolhandluke
    I have no idea why I'd have to buy another bottom metal, here's the e-mail I got from them

Hello Luke,
    Yes we make a bottom metal for the Savage rifles that have the bolt release
    at the trigger. Please order an Accu-stock Savage bottom metal. It comes
    with an extension that needs to be fitted to the existing bolt release so
    that it can still be used. They come out real nice. The only thing on
    Savages that we need to know about is what you have for a stock. Not all
    stocks on Savages can take our bottom metal. Is it a factory stock? Does
    it have the Savage dbm inlet now? (detachable box magazine)? Let us know if
    we can help.
    Thank you very much,
    Jeff and Pam Allen

Quote Originally Posted by bodywerks View Post
    why would you first have to buy a bottom metal from an accustock setup in order to buy a CDI bottom metal? Makes zero sense whatsoever.
    But I guess it doesn't matter since the XLR is the better choice between your two options anyway...

bodywerks
    He's saying to go to their site and order the savage accustock dbm. .that makes way more sense. He's not swing you need to order a factory bottom metal first. Then they have you epoxy a lever to your existing sear that goes up by the receiver. It's a perfectly functional setup and a nice option. But stick with the xlr if it's in your budget. Far superior to the choate.

bodywerks
    They are saying go here:
    http://www.cdiprecisiongunworks.com/...ck-models.html
    And order...

coolhandluke
    Ohhhh, okay. That makes a LOT more sense.
    Thanks!