Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RCBS powder measure

Basic Member

RCBS powder measure

I have the manual Uniflow measure. I have been weighing every charge but I finally decided if they were as accurate as what I heard, it would save time. The long and the short of it is, I can't get any kind of consistency out of it. Of course, with this RCBS electronic scale it is hard to tell how far off. I am not knocking the scale, it was included in the reloading kit but I often thought if it is no more accurate than that they should either not include it or put a better scale in the kit and charge a little more. I think the powder measure is off a good full grain quite a few times. According to the scale, it can be off 2 grains but usually the scale acts up and I don't think it is quite that bad. I am using Varget powder if that makes a difference. My little Lee beam scale got knocked off the bench and broke and I won't have another one for about 3 days, assuming you can believe the reported arrival date.

I try to operate the measure the same each time but maybe I am missing something. Any advice would be appreciated.

It seems a lot of these things don't quite work out like they do on Youtube for me.

Basic Member
    If your goal is precision target shooting, volumetric powder measures are not going to give you the repeatability that you need. They are quick and good enough for loading pistol or rifle cartridges where production rate is more important than precision. They certainly have their place on a reloading bench. I use a volumetric meter on my Lee turret press for handgun ammo.

One method you can try is to use your Uniflow to throw most of the desired powder charge and then trickle in the remaining fraction of a grain manually on a scale. That may save you some time.

I ended up investing in a RCBS Chargemaster Lite when I realized how much time I was spending weighing powder onto a scale.

Basic Member
    Unless you using ball type powder's,none of the powder drop style dispenser's will be right on each charge. Extruded type powder's don't fall uniformly into the dispensing chamber,so each drop weight will be different. That's just the way they work.

I also gave up on the electronic powder dispenser's,I've tried RCBS,Lyman,Hornady,and Smart brands. They all over/under throw charges,yet the scale will show the weight that you programmed into it. It always took me more time to load my precision loads with an electronic dispenser,than it did doing it by had with a manual powder drop,and trickle in the last few kernel's of powder into the pan on my beam scale.

There is one electronic powder dispenser that works,but it cost around $1k for the A&D FX-120i scale and Autotrickler V3 unit. I can load a lot of cartridges by hand for $1k.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Snerdly View Post
    I have the manual Uniflow measure. I have been weighing every charge but I finally decided if they were as accurate as what I heard, it would save time. The long and the short of it is, I can't get any kind of consistency out of it. Of course, with this RCBS electronic scale it is hard to tell how far off. I am not knocking the scale, it was included in the reloading kit but I often thought if it is no more accurate than that they should either not include it or put a better scale in the kit and charge a little more. I think the powder measure is off a good full grain quite a few times. According to the scale, it can be off 2 grains but usually the scale acts up and I don't think it is quite that bad. I am using Varget powder if that makes a difference. My little Lee beam scale got knocked off the bench and broke and I won't have another one for about 3 days, assuming you can believe the reported arrival date.

I try to operate the measure the same each time but maybe I am missing something. Any advice would be appreciated.

It seems a lot of these things don't quite work out like they do on Youtube for me.
    Varget is notoriously bad in powder drops. Most stick powder dont drop very well. I have a set of digitals i have come to trust, they are accurate to .05 of a grain. I do still use my lee beams to verify now and again. Ive heard many claim you dont need that degree of accuracy and the 1/10th is as accurate as anyone would ever need but I dont know if I buy into that.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Buy a set of the Lee scoops for about $15 bucks then trickle them on a beam scale.
    Fact is if you time the process to some of the others, it isnt as silly as it sounds.

Team Savage
    Been using a RCBS Uniflow for years with no issues. Picked up an electronic RCBS powder measure and thought I'd give it a try. Watch it for about 15 minutes while it went up and and tried to settle down. Took me just about that long to load it back into the box it came in and sell it to someone that wanted it more than I did.
    My RCBS Uniflow powder measure doesn't drift EVER and no worries about the power going off either.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Buy a set of the Lee scoops for about $15 bucks then trickle them on a beam scale.
    Fact is if you time the process to some of the others, it isnt as silly as it sounds.
    That's what I've always used to trickle powder into the powder pan. They work great!

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    Been using a RCBS Uniflow for years with no issues. Picked up an electronic RCBS powder measure and thought I'd give it a try. Watch it for about 15 minutes while it went up and and tried to settle down. Took me just about that long to load it back into the box it came in and sell it to someone that wanted it more than I did.
    My RCBS Uniflow powder measure doesn't drift EVER and no worries about the power going off either.
    Yep,I've been using a Uniflow and Redding BR3 for many years. It takes me 8 - 10 seconds to drop a charge into the pan,set it on the scale,trickle remaining powder,and dump the charge into a case.
    The electric dispenser's take about the same amount time just to throw an incorrect charge.

That's what I do. Use my ancient Lyman 55 (or a home made pistol cartridge case dipper with a wire handle) to drop a light load into the pan of my beam scale and then trickle in a few grains and fractions additional get the load.

Saves a little time if you are loading a lot.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Same boat. Use a powder measure on the progressive for pistols and plinking rifle loads. Thrown and weigh for more precise rifles. But, since I went to electronic scales I like to throw a heavier charge and remove a powder grain or two to make weight.

Sometimes I find it amazing how accurate thrown charges can be.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Been dong it that way for more than 30 years.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post

I also gave up on the electronic powder dispenser's,I've tried RCBS,Lyman,Hornady,and Smart brands. They all over/under throw charges,yet the scale will show the weight that you programmed into it. It always took me more time to load my precision loads with an electronic dispenser,than it did doing it by had with a manual powder drop,and trickle in the last few kernel's of powder into the pan on my beam scale.
    When making random checks with the beam scale, I estimate that the Chargemaster Lite can throw light or heavy by roughly 0.05 grains. I have no way to measure that small but typically observe deflection on the balance beam that is a third to half of what I observe for 0.1 grains. That's good enough for most days at the range but I'm realizing that for precise load development work, I will need to break out the Lee dippers and manually trickle my charges. I dislike the monotony of weighing charges but there are some things for which there are no shortcuts.

The other drawback to electronic dispensers is the required warmup time, typically 20-30 minutes to be safe.

The last movement you see is a single kernel of 4064. (Scott Parker tuned Redding scale)

https://c.gmx.com/@55827675308097537...QqqaBqKD3pinSQ
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Years back the old Lyman 55 powder measure tuned up by someone like Neil Jones was a favorite among benchrest shooters.
    He could also really tune up a Remington trigger.
    About 40 or more years ago i paid a visit to a Varmit class benchrest match being held at a range in Wapwalopen Pa.
    Which is very close to Nescopec, home of Robt. W. Hart and sons, today known as Hart Rifles.
    In fact for many years they ran the range at Wapwalopen, but i guess when Wally became CEO it became more than his busy schedule could handle.
    I was just there to observe, with the idea it might interest me. The range was about 100 miles from where i lived at that point.
    Anyway they had a pavilion type structure there used by the shooters for various things including loading. I was very surprised seeing some of them just dumping powder directly into the case without weighing it. I remember questioning one of them about it and he said that a very small amount didnt really matter, the powder measure was accurate enough. But they all were using a seating die with an Arbor press for seating their bullets.
    No resizing was done at all, just a new primer, dump the powder, and seat the new bullet. Some were also dumping powder from small containers directly into the cases, apparently pre weighed at home.
    Im convinced much of what we believe about this has more to do with our individual minds than anything else.
    Freds logo says it best in my opinion, (as long as lead is in the air anything is possible.)
    But i would add that in the rare event of a miss, be sure to get more in the air asap, rather than wasting time contemplating why you missed.
    As long as it ends well, it dosent matter anyway for many of us. What others do or think is for them to deal with.

Team Savage
    I think what it boils down to is "If you like it and it makes you feel good, GO FOR IT"!!
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

The thing I have always found odd about reloading and powder measures is that every manual you look at lists charge weights but every powder measure made up until the recent advent of electronic dispensers with built-in scales measure powder by volume. This oddity is why despite what most would think the simple Lee Classic Dippers are proven to work well - even for many old benchrest shooters.

A great many of products in this industry (like any other) really don't do anything new or better than similar products that have been around for decades. Most of the claimed benefits are little more than marketing hype. Doesn't matter if it's rifles, powders, bullets, optics, name your poison - the sole job of the marketing department is to convince you that whatever it is they're peddling offers some new magical advantage or benefit that you can't live without to get you to part with your money.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    The thing I have always found odd about reloading and powder measures is that every manual you look at lists charge weights but every powder measure made up until the recent advent of electronic dispensers with built-in scales measure powder by volume. This oddity is why despite what most would think the simple Lee Classic Dippers are proven to work well - even for many old benchrest shooters.

A great many of products in this industry (like any other) really don't do anything new or better than similar products that have been around for decades. Most of the claimed benefits are little more than marketing hype. Doesn't matter if it's rifles, powders, bullets, optics, name your poison - the sole job of the marketing department is to convince you that whatever it is they're peddling offers some new magical advantage or benefit that you can't live without to get you to part with your money.
    I was about to say, (buy one like mine and you will love it.)
    But you just ruined all that. lol

I have never competed in a Benchrest Match. I don't know what it takes to win. I pretty sure a guy with a Choate stock, a 5lb trigger, a Sightmark scope with a pencil barrel rarely wins. Why, because he is going against guys that have moved past the basic stuff and they went with specialized equipment, what it takes to win place or show.

The guy that goes to the range three times a year will not need a Masterclass stock or a Borden Rimrock action. He may not worry about CBTO or accurately weighing charges.

A guy who shoots cases with 115 grains of powder with a cold bore shot to an average of 650 yards 3 times and not much more than that a year may not be privy to what a guy who shoots 70 plus rounds a weekend needs to make his stuff work the way it needs to.

The guy that wins in Fclass and PRS will need something different than the other 3 guys. It is difficult for one who does not compete at a high level to say what is or what isn't important when talking about being successful in their endeavors.

Until a person challenges them and beats them at their game, I don't think they are qualified to say what is and what is not required to be at the top of the game.

I don't have a use for a $70,000 truck, a 3500 + Sq/ft home. I don't need a girlfriend on the side to make me happy. But for whatever reason that stuff tickles one mans fancy more power to him. It is a wonderful free country where at least for 6 more months we can buy and do things the way we like it.

God bless 'Merica

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I have never competed in a Benchrest Match. I don't know what it takes to win. I pretty sure a guy with a Choate stock, a 5lb trigger, a Sightmark scope with a pencil barrel rarely wins. Why, because he is going against guys that have moved past the basic stuff and they went with specialized equipment, what it takes to win place or show.

The guy that goes to the range three times a year will not need a Masterclass stock or a Borden Rimrock action. He may not worry about CBTO or accurately weighing charges.

A guy who shoots cases with 115 grains of powder with a cold bore shot to an average of 650 yards 3 times and not much more than that a year may not be privy to what a guy who shoots 70 plus rounds a weekend needs to make his stuff work the way it needs to.

The guy that wins in Fclass and PRS will need something different than the other 3 guys. It is difficult for one who does not compete at a high level to say what is or what isn't important when talking about being successful in their endeavors.

Until a person challenges them and beats them at their game, I don't think they are qualified to say what is and what is not required to be at the top of the game.

I don't have a use for a $70,000 truck, a 3500 + Sq/ft home. I don't need a girlfriend on the side to make me happy. But for whatever reason that stuff tickles one mans fancy more power to him. It is a wonderful free country where at least for 6 more months we can buy and do things the way we like it.

God bless 'Merica
    Kinda on or off topic.. do you happen to know a good detailed article on in depth tuning that ohaus 5-0-5 scale?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scott Parker
    Bakersfield CA
    VLD223@yahoo.com
    661 364 1199

Or diy. This vid is a Redding being tuned, it may give you some pointers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np2XyJlN3Js

Maintenance on the knife edges can dramatically help an older scale. Loupes are your friend.

Basic Member
    Scott Parker
    Bakersfield CA
    VLD223@yahoo.com
    661 364 1199

Or diy. This vid is a reading being tuned, it may give you some pointers.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=np2XyJlN3Js

Maintenance on the knife edges can dramatically help an older scale. Loupes are your friend.
    Awesome, ill definitely check the videos.. ive read about Scott Parker and don't know him or even have anything bad to say about him but I've read numerous people on a waiting list that is ridiculously long.. i get he does it in his spare time so he's not going to have fast turn around so I'd rather do it myself if possible.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member

God bless 'Merica
    I wonder who created the term (cold bore) anyway?
    Is that another test necessary to pass in order to gain entry to a special club?

The test is usually played out all and every hunting season.

Basic Member
    I never hunted as a kid so the first time I heard about 'cold bore' issues was when firing artillery. These days the ballistic computers handle any issues with tube conditions, from 'cold' to hot and everything in between. On tanks we had an active alignment system that compensated for barrel changes due to temperature and gravity. Don't know what the latest artillery uses.

PS there is also a difference between a cold bore and a fouled bore. You can have a cold, fouled bore or a cold, clean bore, etc.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I never hunted as a kid so the first time I heard about 'cold bore' issues was when firing artillery. These days the ballistic computers handle any issues with tube conditions, from 'cold' to hot and everything in between. On tanks we had an active alignment system that compensated for barrel changes due to temperature and gravity. Don't know what the latest artillery uses.

PS there is also a difference between a cold bore and a fouled bore. You can have a cold, fouled bore or a cold, clean bore, etc.
    Small bore shooters as a rule only clean the bore when the gun tells them it needs cleaning.
    Then they will waste some ammo fouling the bore again before they begin shooting for score.
    At least that was the old way, but maybe like many things thoughts on that have changed also.
    We always shoot at least a few rounds each fall with the hunting guns for checking the zero and maybe shoot at a distant rock or 2.
    Ive been known to do both at the same time.
    Then we leave the bore dirty till the season is over.
    Of coarse there is a difference in hitting a deer in the vitals at 500 yards with a first shot compared with scoring a 10 on a target.
    A gun that wont send the first round at least very close to the point of aim on the first shot shouldnt be being used in the first place.
    At 3000 fps and higher with heavy bullets there as a rule wont be much affect from the wind at 5 or 600 yards.
    But of coarse tree branches at any longer distance could be another issue, since sight picture and trajectory path dont always match.
    For shots longer than that depending on location and conditions, a sighter shot at a nearby object can be a wise move.
    Fact is a sighter shot is always a wise move, but a first round miss can be used for that also, usually without it costing any points off your final score.
    The rules are what ever works for each individual.

Basic Member
    When I did hunt I would use a fouled bore. When sighting in I would shoot the rifle and do the intitial adjustments. No cleaning. Next week at the range I would shoot one shot and adjust the zero. Then fire a second and third to see where follow up shots would go. No cleaning. Next week I would shoot one shot to verify zero and put away until the hunt.

Muzzle loader was just the opposite. I hunted with a clean barrel so that is how I sighted it in. Shoot, adjust sights, clean. Shoot to check sights, clean. Then I would shoot, reload and shoot to verify where a followup shot would go. Then clean and put it away until the season started.

I don't hunt anymore so I just track where my shots go on paper. Some rifles just don't change much as they are fired. Others change quite a bit. Just have to learn what yours does.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast