Thread: Stealth or Custom Build?

Stealth or Custom Build?

Looking to get into an entry level rifle ($2000, maybe a tiny bit more, but then it is cutting my Optics budget) to shoot both recreational, as well as perhaps a few PRS or Club Matches.

Considering buying a Stealth or Stealth Evo in 6.5 CM. Changing stock to a Magpul PRS or similar. And being done. Factory blueprinted action. Should shoot well.

Or ... Buying some stripped action & bolt, having a Bartlein, Lilja, or Krieger reamed for it, home headspace/install, trigger work, and some Chassis system.

Think there would be a noticable difference?

I feel like starting with the Stealth or Evo Action, being factory blueprinted, makes more sense. Change the stock out for something useful. And when the barrel is shot out in a couple years, I am already on a blueprinted matched action, versus piecing something together. I'd end up buying a chassis similar to what comes on the Stealth anyways ...

Thoughts & Opinions?

I am returning to the rifle game also after a very long time and I went with the Savage Stealth 10ba in 6.5 Creedmoor, right now I am waiting for better weather to get it out to shoot it. It's a bad feeling looking at it and that's it. I like the Savage except iI would put a Luth MBA butt stock on it eventually.

Welcome to the barrel nut...Good luck.
    Perpetual Optimism is a force Multiplier....

Basic Member
    I'd buy a Bergara at that price range, unless you want to mess with it later cause it is a Savage...

I dont like the Stealth chassis that are like the MDT lss chassis. Also, is large shank for not as many prefits.

I would go with a stripped small shank action, barrel, Sav 2 trigger, and your choice of chassis.

If not, I would get a Model 10 or the 12 fv then buy the chassis of your choice and still be under. I like XLR chassis. I also like the HS Precision stock.

Optics are WAY more important than the gun...

I have run a 12fv in 6.5 creedmoor in my first two local PRS matches, and it didnt hold me back. Shoots less than .5 moa with factory Federal Berger Match.

Although, I want to put a brake on it, which is why a threaded model 10 got mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by hereinaz View Post
    I'd buy a Bergara at that price range, unless you want to mess with it later cause it is a Savage...

I dont like the Stealth chassis that are like the MDT lss chassis. Also, is large shank for not as many prefits.

I would go with a stripped small shank action, barrel, Sav 2 trigger, and your choice of chassis.

If not, I would get a Model 10 or the 12 fv then buy the chassis of your choice and still be under. I like XLR chassis. I also like the HS Precision stock.

Optics are WAY more important than the gun...

I have run a 12fv in 6.5 creedmoor in my first two local PRS matches, and it didnt hold me back. Shoots less than .5 moa with factory Federal Berger Match.

Although, I want to put a brake on it, which is why a threaded model 10 got mentioned.

Hmmmm..... That typing style looks vaguely familiar.
    They say "Don't try this at home"... so I'm headed over to a friend's house.

Basic Member
    If you like the Stealth chassis then go for it. If you dont then i would build and put it in a stock or chassis you do like.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    If $2000 is your budget I'd look at building something. If you stick with a Savage action, you can get a nice build for less that $1500. If you want a custom build, you can look at American Rifle Company's Nucleus action.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

There's something rewarding about building one yourself... It might take longer and you may have to source parts from multiple sources, but when it's finished, and you take it out to the range, and shoot as well as or better than a high dollar precision gunsmith build, It just leaves a really big smile on your face and a sense of accomplishment that can only come from "getting your hands dirty".

Just my .02,

I like Savages. But for my money I would consider the Howa HCR for what you want to do. Nice action, 2 stage trigger(Phil and some other competitive shooters around here dig 2 stage trigger for comp and you can't get one for a Savage). The Savage trigger is a weak link in the system. They are usable but that is about it. The barrel swaps are not as easy yet but there are folks doing them. Most of these factory chassis guns have a less expensive butt stock, the HCR has the Luth-AR. You might be able to get an XLR model to work making it a really nice assembly.

If you must go Savage then it needs a trigger and a T&T job by Sharpshooter. I don't know if you can still get a trigger with that.

Basic Member
    The biggest difference/improvement in going custom is ending up with a superior barrel (e.g. Bartlein).

Basic Member
    For $2000 I would buy this as a complete rifle... just came out.

http://patriotvalleyarms.com/john-hancock-bolt-action/

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    If $2000 is your budget I'd look at building something. If you stick with a Savage action, you can get a nice build for less that $1500. If you want a custom build, you can look at American Rifle Company's Nucleus action.
    I just bought two Nucleus. A short and long action...

Did you see this just came out.

http://patriotvalleyarms.com/john-hancock-bolt-action/

Basic Member
    If you wanted to build a true custom rifle:
    Nucleus Action (special pricing) $850
    Barrel and barrel nut: $275 https://raggedholebarrels.net/collec...savage-barrels
    xlr element chassis: $635
    Triggertech Primary Trigger: $150

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    If you wanted to build a true custom rifle:
    Nucleus Action (special pricing) $850
    Barrel and barrel nut: $275 https://raggedholebarrels.net/collec...savage-barrels
    xlr element chassis: $635
    Triggertech Primary Trigger: $150

Could swap the stock to a KRG Bravo for $350 and save a few bucks there as well.

Basic Member
    There is a new Bighorn action for 750 that takes savage small shank barrels also...

https://bighornarms.com/product/origin-action-deposit/

Basic Member
    I would personally go with the LRP over the stealth, but I have been looking into the Big Horn actions and I might have to get one some day.

If it were me and I was going to start with a Savage (assuming I was also right-handed), I would for-go a chassis gun and buy the Model 10GRS (blued) or the 10GRS Limited Edition (stainless) instead. The chassis fad appears to have already peaked as many top competitors are starting to go back to more traditional glass stocks.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    I agree with traditional stock over chassis. I still have chassis, but I like the feel of my stocks.

Mmmmmm, GRS is nice.