Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: New Dick's Sporting Goods Package - "Model 11 VT"

splebeau

We had, after firing it with the stock scope, contemplated how you could turn the Walmart $298 Remington into a decent rifle and still stay under $500. We came up with Redfield Scopes, a scope company recently purchased by Leupold. Specifically there Revenge with the accu-ranger feature found locally for $177 (someone said they thought Dick's had them but I hadn't had a chance to check)

http://redfield.com/redfield-revenge/

Not sure how this goes with a sniper quality scope, however. Sorry.

762X51
    The bottom "metal" is actually plastic, as is the trigger guard plus, while it LOOKS like the typical Savage detachable mag set up, it's really some sort of mutt that uses Axis magazines. Mine won't feed the last round from the magazine. HUGE disappointment.

Wtlj
    Quote Originally Posted by 762X51 View Post
    The bottom "metal" is actually plastic, as is the trigger guard plus, while it LOOKS like the typical Savage detachable mag set up, it's really some sort of mutt that uses Axis magazines. Mine won't feed the last round from the magazine. HUGE disappointment.
    Not sure why you emphasize "metal" is it listed somewhere that its metal??? Most gun manufacturers are now using poly and plastic (ruger, savage, remington etc.) while you may think its cheap its been proven to stand the test of time and bring weight down on the rifle. On the magazine issue savage uses this same setups on other rifles other than the axis, some of their higher end models also. It sounds like you have a defective magazine as mine cycles perfectly with no issues time and time again. When buying a mass produced "value" rifle you cannot expect perfection. You already know savage will take care of the issue and it very well could've happened with a $2000 rifle.

splebeau
    Quote Originally Posted by 762X51 View Post
    I'm with Wtlj on this one. I've now fired over 100 rnds thru my Savage 11 VT and haven't had any issues (I have, however, had an issue with my Hornady ammo). I'll have to check my rifle when I get home... I don't recall the trigger guard being plastic? My only gripe with the magazines is their short supply locally.

762X51
    Quote Originally Posted by splebeau View Post
    I'm with Wtlj on this one. I've now fired over 100 rnds thru my Savage 11 VT and haven't had any issues (I have, however, had an issue with my Hornady ammo). I'll have to check my rifle when I get home... I don't recall the trigger guard being plastic? My only gripe with the magazines is their short supply locally.
    Unless your rifle is special or Savage changed the specs you'll find both the trigger guard and the magazine frame are plastic. There is nothing wrong with that except it looks exactly like their true metallic bottom metal sets and I thought some folks might like to know it is in fact plastic. The matte finish on the plastic looks just like the matte finish on the metal parts and until I actually disassembled the rifle I though it was metal like my model 10 PC. AGAIN there's nothing wrong with the plastic and it is fully interchangeable with the metal components should anyone wish to upgrade in the future. One plus to this system, versus say the Axis, is that should the tiny little front and rear shelves, that the magazine latches into in the mag frame, wear, the mag frame can easily be replaced.

762X51
    Quote Originally Posted by Wtlj View Post
    When buying a mass produced "value" rifle you cannot expect perfection.
    I certainly don't expect perfection for $550 but I ABSOLUTELY expect it to at least function. I don't expect high polish bluing. I don't expect highly figured Claro Walnut. I don't expect hand lapped parts. I don't expect high relief engraving. I don't expect billet machined components. I DO expect it to work though. A $369 Ruger American works as does my $257 Axis so why is it so unbelievable that I'd expect my model 11 to work properly? I don't expect a $300 push mower to have all the features that a $7000 zero turn machine would BUT I DO expect it to cut grass. A bolt action repeating rifle really only has to do three simple things: feed, fire and eject. If it can't do those three things it may as well be a break action single shot.

splebeau
    I'm missing something... 762X51, does your model 11 NOT work properly? I JUST bought mine (only a couple 100 rounds fired) and have had no issues. If you're experiencing issues I'd really like to know what they are just in case it proves to be a problem for the entire line and not just a single rifle.

762X51
    I'm missing something... 762X51, does your model 11 NOT work properly?
    No it does not (See my post #52) . It will not pick up the last round from the magazine. I was able to swap magazines with my 223 Axis and the model 11VT will feed all the rounds (most of the time) from that particular magazine but it's really almost unacceptable that just the minute manufacturing tolerances present in the magazines are enough to keep the rifle from functioning. Honestly if one wanted more magazines for one of these rifles I'd suggest ordering several and then trying them to see which ones actually work. Savage's reputation for accuracy is well deserved but In my experience they also have a reputation for balky functioning. I'm not a newbie at this whole rifle thing and I have owned and used Remington 700s, Winchester model 70s (both pre-64 and later push feeds) Ruger M77s (again push feeds and the later controlled round feed models) as well as commercial Mauser actions and I can say with first hand experience that Savage rifles have the greatest propensity to malfunction than any other bolt action rifle that I've ever personally used. My first Precision Carbine would extract the fired case but leave it lying atop the next round in the magazine. My model 16 Weather Warrior would not feed the last two cartridges out of the magazine since the magazine was about 1/8" short of fully seating against the base of the receiver and now my 11VT won't feed the last round from SOME magazines unless I apply upward pressure to the rear of the magazine base. All of these problems may be deemed fixable but the last thing I want to do with a new rifle is fix it. Too late to make a long story short, but to answer your question, I do not think there is any "issue" concerning this particular model of rifle other than Savage's typical QC problems. If you got a rifle that will feed all the cartridges and extract and eject the spent casings then thank your lucky stars and congratulations. I'm almost certain your rifle will prove accurate. My 223 Axis is one of the most accurate rifles I've ever owned, plus it works!

splebeau
    I'm sure glad I read these posts before recommending this gun to others. Were the Axis .223 mags chambered in .308?

762X51
    I'm sure glad I read these posts before recommending this gun to others. Were the Axis .223 mags chambered in .308?
    I'm not sure I completely understand your question but both my Axis and 11VT are chambered in .223. An Axis magazine for a 308 will not retain or feed 223 cartridges since the lips are too wide to retain the cartridges and there is a block in the 223 mags to hold the cartridges forward in the magazine. Savage rifles have a lot of pluses; the user changeable barrels, the floating bolt head and the changeable bolt handle for instance. I think that if you could test a rifle's function before actually purchasing it you could make absolutely certain it works before you buy it. Alas, I don't think that's an option with the 11VT since I don't think Dick's will remove the trigger lock let alone allow you to cycle a magazine full of dummy cartridges through the rifle. I think that should I EVER buy another Savage rifle I'll insist on function testing it. If you can do this, take one empty cartridge and enough dummy loads to fill the magazine. Test the extraction and ejection with the empty then test the magazine and the rifle's feeding ability with the dummies. If the rifle balks at ejecting the dummies don't write it off since it was designed to eject an empty cartridge without the extra weight of a projectile (this will be more obvious the larger the caliber). If it will eject a loaded cartridge so much the better but it MUST eject an empty. As long as you can function test the rifle you're considering buying (and it works) there is absolutely nothing wrong with a Savage rifle but in my experience there are far too many that leave the factory half-assed.

JerseyBiker
    I saw the Savage 11 VT today in a DSG ad in this morning's newspaper. It is on sale for $500. I currently have a Ruger 10/22 rifle, a Thompson Center 50 cal muzzle loader and a Remington 870 12 gauge. I want to add a high power rifle to use for target practice at Fort Dix, NJ. I don't want to spend a lot of money but I would like the best bang for the buck as a starter rifle. Though I did shoot M14 and M16's in The Marine Corps back in the mid 70's, I don't really know much about high caliber civilian rifles. Would this be a good choice for target practicing and are there maybe better choices at this price range? Thanks

HobbyShooter
    For the price, I think its pretty hard to beat. I got mine two weeks ago and have put a couple hundred rounds through it so far with no feed issues at all. I'm not a huge fan of the scope. I plan on selling it and buying a SWFA scope. With the faster 1:10 twist rate, it really favors the 168 and 175 grain bullets. I haven't tried anything heavier yet. I'm a new shooter and my groups are in the 1.5" range at 100 yards, but I expect to reach sub MOA with more practice and better positioning.

ellobo
    Be aware that Savage barrels can copper up quickly when new. If accuracy drops off, clean out the copper with a solution made for it. Make sure the barrel and tang is free floated and you should be good to go. Those 11VT's so far have a good reputations. I think you did well on this one. Savage barrels seem to shoot more acurately when dirty so dont be too quick to clean until, like with copper, accuracy drops off.
    el Lobo

JerseyBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbyShooter View Post
    For the price, I think its pretty hard to beat. I got mine two weeks ago and have put a couple hundred rounds through it so far with no feed issues at all.
    Thanks for the reply. I went to Dick's yesterday to check it out. They had 2 in stock but both were the 223 models. I want a 308. Today I am going to travel a ways to a gun shop with a buddy of mine that know a lot more than me. He say's there are probably similar models of the Dick's Savage VT 11 there.

JerseyBiker
    It took a lot of running around but I finally picked up a 11 VT in .308. I called a DSG about 30 miles away that said they had one in stock. When I got there I was told someone made a mistake because they did not have any. Needless to say I was quite disappointed and angry for driving so far for nothing. That DSG called another DSG store that was another 35 miles further North. It was confirmed they had the 11 VT I wanted. I made the trip to the second DSG and did indeed purchased the 11 VT. It's been some years since I last purchased a firearm. I purchased the gun but I will not be able to pick it up for about 2 weeks because of the background check process. They had a trigger lock on it and after the took the lock off I was not allowed to touch it anymore. They put it in it's box, took me to the register to pay for it and they took it away. Now I have over 100 mile round trip to pick it up. One good thing is that I got $80 in additional discount. $50 discount for opening a DSG credit card account and I'll receive about $30 back in rewards point which means I purchased the rifle for $420

HobbyShooter
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyBiker View Post
    It took a lot of running around but I finally picked up a 11 VT in .308. I called a DSG about 30 miles away that said they had one in stock. When I got there I was told someone made a mistake because they did not have any. Needless to say I was quite disappointed and angry for driving so far for nothing. That DSG called another DSG store that was another 35 miles further North. It was confirmed they had the 11 VT I wanted. I made the trip to the second DSG and did indeed purchased the 11 VT. It's been some years since I last purchased a firearm. I purchased the gun but I will not be able to pick it up for about 2 weeks because of the background check process. They had a trigger lock on it and after the took the lock off I was not allowed to touch it anymore. They put it in it's box, took me to the register to pay for it and they took it away. Now I have over 100 mile round trip to pick it up. One good thing is that I got $80 in additional discount. $50 discount for opening a DSG credit card account and I'll receive about $30 back in rewards point which means I purchased the rifle for $420
    Congratulations on the purchase! I like mine more and more as I keep shooting it. Today I shot a .8 MOA group at 100 yards and a .72 MOA group at 200 yards with some 168 grain FGMM ammo. That was with a gusty wind too. My only gripe is still the scope. It's very finicky about eye relief at high magnification and the turret clicks are hard to feel, as in unpredictable. When I try adjusting several clicks in any direction, I find myself trying to figure out if I had just turned 2 or 3 clicks often. Very nonpositive, if that were a word.

But the rifle itself is all aces in my book.

HobbyShooter
    Also, be aware that the magazine is very stiff at first. The first 10 to 15 times I loaded it up and snapped it into position were a little tricky. It's loosened up enough now that it's easy to pop into place.
    Last edited by HobbyShooter; 05-10-2013 at 11:57 PM.

JerseyBiker
    Quote Originally Posted by HobbyShooter View Post
    Congratulations on the purchase! I like mine more and more as I keep shooting it. Today I shot a .8 MOA group at 100 yards and a .72 MOA group at 200 yards with some 168 grain FGMM ammo. That was with a gusty wind too. My only gripe is still the scope. It's very finicky about eye relief at high magnification and the turret clicks are hard to feel, as in unpredictable. When I try adjusting several clicks in any direction, I find myself trying to figure out if I had just turned 2 or 3 clicks often. Very nonpositive, if that were a word.

But the rifle itself is all aces in my book.
    Thanks. I can't wait to have my Savage in my possession. This is my first high power rifle so I have a lot to learn. I never used a scope before. I have a Ruger 22 but never mounted a scope on it. A good friend of mine who has several high power rifles is going to teach me the ins and outs.

Jailcop1964
    I just picked up one yesterday, anyone have any suggestions on what stock I can buy to replace the original one. This is my first bolt action and would like to build it for 400-500 yard shooting.

HobbyShooter
    I plan on taking mine out to 800+ yards with the factory stock. I've replaced the scope mount with a one piece Weaver unit and the scope rings have been swapped for some Weaver rings and I'm getting sub MOA groups most times I go out. Lately, I've been experimenting with different powder charges and had a series of .25 to .5 MOA 3 shot groups and I'm new to shooting bolt action as well.

Here's a target from yesterday. I've switched to 175 SMKs from 168, so I haven't found that .5 MOA or less combination yet. The white squares are close to .75" across.

Jailcop1964
    HobbyShooter, what scope are you using? also how good is having a dual pillared stock like the 11VT has compared to a fully bedded stock?

brasse
    The plastic magazines are essentially all the same. Same part number for a Axis, Models 10,11, and 16 TH. They are different for calibers,
    I have purchased two additional ones for my DBM Creedmoor. Listed for 308, 260, 6.5 Creedmoor, 243, and 7-08. Savage Axis P/N 107989Holds four and gets better with each time used. I sent one off to Ratmag to be turned into a 10 rounder.

HobbyShooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jailcop1964 View Post
    HobbyShooter, what scope are you using? also how good is having a dual pillared stock like the 11VT has compared to a fully bedded stock?
    Still using the factory scope and I still think it's just about useless for what I need it to do. I'm sure a fully bedded stock would be better, but at my skill level (or lack thereof) I don't know if I'd be able to see a difference in my groups.

Quote Originally Posted by brasse View Post
    The plastic magazines are essentially all the same. Same part number for a Axis, Models 10,11, and 16 TH. They are different for calibers,
    I have purchased two additional ones for my DBM Creedmoor. Listed for 308, 260, 6.5 Creedmoor, 243, and 7-08. Savage Axis P/N 107989Holds four and gets better with each time used. I sent one off to Ratmag to be turned into a 10 rounder.
    True. I bought a DBM mag for a .308 Axis and it fits my rifle perfectly. They do fit better with use, don't they.

Sitting Duck
    I bought my 11VT in .308 last March and this is my take on it.

Pros: Heavy barreled guns, I like. Fit and finish is very good. Equally as good as the R700 sitting next to it when I bought it. DBM I like as well as the smooth barrel nut. The stock is free-floated and acceptable but I'll replace it down the road. The sling mount works fine with a Harris bipod with no rigging. The Accutrigger works fine but is butt ugly.

Cons: I don't like the trigger guard front bolt release function as well as my old R700. The magazine issue has been addressed but my problem wasn't with the last round but the first. The bolt would skim right over the top and leave it in the magazine. The extraction ring on the cartridge was catching on the back metal of the magazine causing it to dive instead of surface. I have to push the last round loaded up to the front of the magazine to overcome this. The other rounds feed fine.

That's it. I like the looks plenty fine and the heft of the rifle. My groups are nothing to brag about at 1+ MOA at 100 but my rifle w/bipod hops a lot so I have some technique issues to work out. As far as the Bushnell Sharpshooter scope goes I never used it. I'll stick it on a .22 someday.

For the money, I feel I received a good value.

kwiq4u2006
    Would anyone suggest a new stock for this Bobby hart or Boyds laminate? If I do this it needs to be a blind mag I read how to do this but i need a scope I was thinking sniper brand ? With high Mount rings? Please help my first build

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast