Thread: Explain the Large Shank "thing"

Explain the Large Shank "thing"

OK, I can kinda understand "brain trust" at Savage thinking ambulance chasing lawyers, so lets use the large shank threads on the high pressure rounds like the 338L,300 Ultra mag. Ect. but a 6.5 CM ?, I had a 7 Mag. that had a small shank. Sometimes I think e just like screwing with shooters

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Shooter0302 View Post
    OK, I can kinda understand "brain trust" at Savage thinking ambulance chasing lawyers, so lets use the large shank threads on the high pressure rounds like the 338L,300 Ultra mag. Ect. but a 6.5 CM ?, I had a 7 Mag. that had a small shank. Sometimes I think e just like screwing with shooters
    Originally large shank was mainly used for precision shooters and wsm as well as other mag roumds, back in the day, large shank could handle higher pressure better but now day with better alloys, manufacturing techniques etc that isn't necessarily the case. But back to the basics, I believe it had to do with precision shooting more than anything.. i imagine someone will correct me if I'm off base:)

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    ^^^
    This.
    Used for magnums for more meat around the chamber, and target rifles for heavier contour barrels.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...el-Shank-Sizes

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    ^^^
    This.
    Used for magnums for more meat around the chamber, and target rifles for heavier contour barrels.

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...el-Shank-Sizes
    That's about as rich as two feet up a bull's butt. Point in question, a "Savage varmint" contour is .800 at the muzzle, and are connected for the most part with standard shanks. The BA Stealth has a muzzle OD of .760, While not sporter contour it's a far cry from a target barrel contour.

SAVAGE CUSTOMER/FIREARMS SUPPORT

PHONE - US or Canada: (800) 370-0708

Stupid answers for stupid questions
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    That's about as rich as two feet up a bull's butt. Point in question, a "Savage varmint" contour is .800 at the muzzle, and are connected for the most part with standard shanks. The BA Stealth has a muzzle OD of .760, While not sporter contour it's a far cry from a target barrel contour.
    The first WSMs were small shank....they suffered from "chronic" chamber swell causing difficulties for hand loaders.
    Target actions also used the large shank to maximize barrel size (ie: bull barrels w/o need for shoulder). The muzzle diameter has nothing to do with the thread shank. If your stealth was ordered with any magnum caliber most likely would always be better off with a larger shank.
    Hard to see an argument on this one.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    The first WSMs were small shank....they suffered from "chronic" chamber swell causing difficulties for hand loaders.
    Target actions also used the large shank to maximize barrel size (ie: bull barrels w/o need for shoulder). The muzzle diameter has nothing to do with the thread shank. If your stealth was ordered with any magnum caliber most likely would always be better off with a larger shank.
    I remember reading (a good bit ago) that the main purpose for the large shank was to maintain accuracy for long distance shooters.. i dont really know thats just what I read

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...story.3937870/

DID YOU READ the part about this being on a 6.5 CM ?
    Ted, I can understand their logic, use a large shank and call it a "tuned action"

Basic Member
    Ted, I can understand their logic, use a large shank and call it a "tuned action"
    Yes, probably no need for large shank here, but if the "Stealth model" uses large shank exclusively (don't know), would it make sense to keep to change the shank back & forth?
    If they are switching back & forth then they are just using up available parts. A person can't put anything past "business" practices in today's world.

Basic Member
    No, I missed the part on 6.5 creedmoor.

Basic Member
    I have noticed though the 6.5 creedmoor operates at a higher pressure than alot of magnum cartridges. I would think now days with the alloys and machining improvements that you could get everything you need in small shank ( with exceptions of course ) but thats just my opinion:)

Basic Member
    Wanna hear a viable reason???
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Definitely, ive read and heard so much regarding this, it would be nice to get a definite answer

Basic Member
    Waiting here also...

Also waiting to see if it's better that mine " I can understand their logic, use a large shank and call it a "tuned action"and charge more:"

Basic Member
    The Stealth, the precision Elite and the rest of those "crutch" guns with the erector set stocks, use the precision action (the one with the small port). The precision actions, whether it's an LRPV, LRP, or precision target actions, are all large shank.
    Yes, there is marketing hype involved. The precision actions, although stiffer, are not anymore "tuned or blue printed" than a standard action.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    The Stealth, the precision Elite and the rest of those "crutch" guns with the erector set stocks, use the precision action (the one with the small port). The precision actions, whether it's an LRPV, LRP, or precision target actions, are all large shank.
    Yes, there is marketing hype involved. The precision actions, although stiffer, are not anymore "tuned or blue printed" than a standard action.
    That pretty much goes along with the article I posted, they said basically they were aimed more towards precision shooters.. it didnt state because its was "stiffer" but I think most of us would just kinda assume that

Basic Member
    Thanks sharpshooter, I thought I had read somewhere that all the Stealths were large shank. That should satisfy the OP.

Thanks sharpshooter, I thought I had read somewhere that all the Stealths were large shank. That should satisfy the OP.
    OK I'll say content , but when you look at the bbl.contours , bbl. length, Bbl. twists, I still say it's as much a marketing ploy as anything.
    AND, start looking for prefits with Lg. shank's, and that brings on a whole lot of " hate and discount" toward Savage for using a Lg shank on a Stealth, and then putting a whimpy ass Bbl.on it.AND, dealing with perfit Bbl makers, " sure we can do Lg. Shanks with X Y & Z profiles BUT NOT M T or U profiles, Others say sure BUT it will add $$$ to the cost. AND, it goes on & on.
    Now you'll may ask "why did I buy it" simple it was about half the price of a new one, and it was left handed.

Basic Member
    Just a question for my curiosity (in this case the cigar is just a cigar lol) but let's have kinda a survey of sorts.. would you (anyone that wants to answer) prefer they made only large or only small? As I said, its just a question and in my perspective there is no wrong answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Feasel View Post
    Just a question for my curiosity (in this case the cigar is just a cigar lol) but let's have kinda a survey of sorts.. would you (anyone that wants to answer) prefer they made only large or only small? As I said, its just a question and in my perspective there is no wrong answer.
    Good deal Ted....

Well, for the survey part of it, the small shank "could" be preferred by hunters
    in a bid to get carry weight down. Large shank "could" be preferred for target
    shooters in a bid to get control of heat and harmonics. Both shanks can throw
    the pill in the same spot for your cold bore, but as the round count goes up.
    the large shank barrel will have the edge. Length of barrel, and taper, is always
    the consideration. Savage puts the choices out there. No sense naggin' about
    it. It is what it is, and no pleasing everyone.
    Keeping my bad Karma intact since 1952

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuj' View Post
    Good deal Ted....

Well, for the survey part of it, the small shank "could" be preferred by hunters
    in a bid to get carry weight down. Large shank "could" be preferred for target
    shooters in a bid to get control heat and harmonics. Both shanks can throw
    the pill in the same spot for your cold bore, but as the round count goes up.
    the large shank barrel will have the edge. Length of barrel, and taper, is always
    the consideration. Savage puts the choices out there. No sense naggin' about
    it. It is what it is, and no pleasing everyone.
    Cool, thank for the perspective.. i would love to hear more people also. All the points you make, make sense.

Basic Member
    I prefer the large shank with anything belted magnum and larger in case diameter because I like the little bit of extra thickness it gives around the chamber wall on that portion extending beyond the receiver ring. Standard calibers, I don't really care either way. As far as difficulty getting a large shank barrel made or it costing more, I have never ever had a problem with that at all. Of course I haven't dealt with every barrel maker either but most of mind have come from McGowen. I can tell you that they definitely do not charge more for a large shank and still make it whatever contour you want, at least as far as I've ever had dealings with them.

Basic Member
    IMOP, there simply is no comparison in action stiffness when comparing a large shank single shot target action and a small shank, center feed action. The amount of material removed from the action for feed and ejection is substantial in a model 10,11,12 small shank, and can't help but negatively affect harmonics and stiffness. Furthermore, the target action has three pillar mount points, compared to the smaller action's 2.

I own mostly small shank actions built around the model 12FV typically purchased on sale at Cabelas for an incredibly cheap price (in days' gone by). They'll shoot reliably down to 1/3 moa, but getting below that is difficult for me.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.