Thread: model 12 vlp-dbm .243 bullets

model 12 vlp-dbm .243 bullets

Hello just bought this rifle i only shoot targets, what bullets would you suggest given the twist rate thanks .
    I live in london UK i i have converted to dollars what we pay for your bullets ie 90greld-x $82 per hundred sierra 95gr tmk $60 per 100 hornady atip $130 per 100 .
    I bought a model 12 lrp in .260 rem 2 years ago and it cost me $2204 .
    All the best from london Petesv.

Hi Petesv,

I see that your rifle has a 1:9.25" twist. I do not own a .243 but I do have a 6mm Remington with a 1:9 twist and that's pretty close to your twist rate. Both cartridges use the same bullets. My best groups have been with 75 and 80 grain bullets. They stay in the 3/4 MOA range. I haven't done extensive load testing and I feel that I could reduce those groups with a bit more effort. The 6mm case is based on the 7x57mm Mauser round so my powder and load data wouldn't be of much help.

Where do you shoot? I lived in Suffolk for six years in the 1980's and belonged to a pistol club. We did shoot rifles on occasion. (Pakefield and an old MOD range in Rendlesham Forest) I've been to the ranges at Bisley although I didn't get to shoot there.

Cheers and let us know how your rifle shoots.

I shoot at bisley and two military ranges lydd and hythe .
    All the best Pete.

Quote Originally Posted by petesv View Post
    Hello just bought this rifle i only shoot targets, what bullets would you suggest given the twist rate thanks .
    I live in london UK i i have converted to dollars what we pay for your bullets ie 90greld-x $82 per hundred sierra 95gr tmk $60 per 100 hornady atip $130 per 100 .
    I bought a model 12 lrp in .260 rem 2 years ago and it cost me $2204 .
    All the best from london Petesv.
    here is another option for you to consider, the Sierra 70 Gr HPBT Matchking, it will probably cost lest then 95 Gr TMK/MK, plus it was designed for just the kind of shooting your doing.

Thank you for your reply i thought there would be more savage owners that shoot paper or targets and would give there advice on bullets for the 9.25 twist rate many thanks.
    Pete

Basic Member
    These guys usually give decent advice and there is a forum there as well.

https://www.6mmbr.com/243Win.html

Thank you that is a real good site.
    Pete.

Basic Member
    YW, I visit there quite a bit.

Basic Member

243 Winchester bullets.

My most accurate bullet is Berger 90 gr hpbt Target # 24425 but costs a lot of money. It needs good velocity from my 27.5" barrel that is 1-10 twist. Good powders IMR 4831, IMR4350, H4350.

For an all around bullet, the Sierra 85 gr hpbt #1530 can be very accurate, but its not a Berger grade bullet. IMR 4350 & IMR 4451 work well.

https://bergerbullets.com/twist-rate-calculator/

The 100 gr is a 3" group @ 100 yards bullet in my 18" barrel Rem 600 Mohawk. Not enough velocity/RPMs.

The bullets in photo will work with your twist barrel, but maybe not the 100gr?

Thank you for your reply i thought there would be more savage owners that shoot paper or targets and would give there advice on bullets for the 9.25 twist rate many thanks.
    Pete
    I have good results in my Axis using Nosler 95 grain Ballistic Tips. Half MOA at 200 so far.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Pete
    Pete just it doesn’t matter if the rifle’s is a Savage or not, even two Savages that came of the production line from the factory at the same time will not shoot the same.

Hello my friend i agree with what you say but this rifle shot all three bullets 90gr tgk 95gr hpbt 95gr tmk at one inch groups all with the same powder loads this tells me that with some seating depth and load development this will be a very accurate rifle .and i am sure all the bullets above will shoot well with this twist rate .
    Thanks pete.

Hello my friend i agree with what you say but this rifle shot all three bullets 90gr tgk 95gr hpbt 95gr tmk at one inch groups all with the same powder loads this tells me that with some seating depth and load development this will be a very accurate rifle .and i am sure all the bullets above will shoot well with this twist rate .
    Thanks pete.
    Yes Pete i agree with you all those bullets will be very accurate with that twist rate, but you need to know where the ogive of the bullets are touching the rifling of you rifle. There’s a couple of great videos on YouTube explaining this. Check out Panhandle Precison or Bragginrights Precision

Hello hardnosestreetcop thanks for that but the first thing i do with any bullet is check the c.o.a.l with the bullet touching the lands , if loaded to loading manual specs they would have been along way of so i loaded all rounds to 2.760 c.o.a.l which leaves me with plenty of forward seating before touching the lands .
    Many thanks for your reply Pete.

Hello hardnosestreetcop thanks for that but the first thing i do with any bullet is check the c.o.a.l with the bullet touching the lands , if loaded to loading manual specs they would have been along way of so i loaded all rounds to 2.760 c.o.a.l which leaves me with plenty of forward seating before touching the lands .
    Many thanks for your reply Pete.
    Pete CBTO measurement will always be more consistent than COAL measurements, wishing you many tight groups