Page 19 of 72 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabela's Savage 12FV THREAD FEST

sdrookie

Thank you. I will patiently wait.

Quote Originally Posted by NCHuntr View Post
    Any questions from anyone?
    Any clue if the throat is as short as all the other 12fv varieties are? I got all my dies and brass prep stuff in and order some starline small primer brass so hopefully the actual rifle shows up soon...

Negan
    I am happy to see that the 6.5 lives as well!!! I ordered mine on 9/9 so I am still a bit early to be itching yet. I am curious though, could there be such a shortage that we will end up not getting them. I have never ordered a backordered firearm before so I am not sure how often this type of thing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Negan View Post
    I am happy to see that the 6.5 lives as well!!! I ordered mine on 9/9 so I am still a bit early to be itching yet. I am curious though, could there be such a shortage that we will end up not getting them. I have never ordered a backordered firearm before so I am not sure how often this type of thing happens.
    I don't imagine they would cancel everyone's orders. Flip side it might take a considerable amount of time due to build schedule. Hopefully things move quickly though.

I do have a question for those that have purchased the newest rendition of the 12FV. That is, does this rifle still have the old style adjustable firing pin? Or have they been getting the newer axis style? Thanks in advance.

sdrookie
    I wouldn't worry about cancellation, and I'm sure we all have other rifles to keep us amused u til we get these. Hopefully sooner than later. It would be interesting to know how many are on backorder. In 6.5Coolkid? I bet a whole bunch.

Basic Member
    Not to be a Debbie downer but I would just be to worried that the rifle wouldn't be in in time to send of for the rebate. Granted Savage makes there own barrel so they don't have to wait on a shipment of blanks but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by sdrookie View Post
    I wouldn't worry about cancellation, and I'm sure we all have other rifles to keep us amused u til we get these. Hopefully sooner than later. It would be interesting to know how many are on backorder. In 6.5Coolkid? I bet a whole bunch.
    I ordered an additional 12FV in 6.5CM for a project gun, this morning. Figured it will be super easy to sell off the 6.5CM barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by kd5dhu View Post
    I ordered an additional 12FV in 6.5CM for a project gun, this morning. Figured it will be super easy to sell off the 6.5CM barrel.
    What would you take for it lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ktmracer358 View Post
    What would you take for it lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Need to get my 2 12FV 6.5CM's in hand first!

Looks like there is a guy on ebay trying for $240.00+$25.00 Shipping for a:

"Brand new, only factory fired take off. Savage 12 varmint 26" .810 at muzzle. Savage Black finish. Small Shank Savage these barrel have a reputation on being very, very accurate.
    No returns."

I'd be surprised if he gets it, but with all this fuss over 6.5CM he might.

Basic Member
    Last time I checked my 6.5CM was supposed to be "delivered to the warehouse" on Thursday.

"Brand new, only factory fired take off. Savage 12 varmint 26" .810 at muzzle. Savage Black finish. Small Shank Savage these barrel have a reputation on being very, very accurate.
    No returns."

Holy moly Batman!!

For another $60-$90 you could order a brand new, never been fired, hand lapped, Stainless Match Grade Criterion or Shilen....

Basic Member
    There is a few other 223 and 308 barrels on there for upwards of $200 that looks suspiciously like 12FV take offs. Shame shame.

Basic Member

No returns."

Can you, or anyone else, confirm that ALL the 12FV's are small shank? I've got a target action and a 12 LRPV, both large shank, but I think my back ordered 12FV is going to be a small shank. I think I'm right on this, but I'd like some confirmation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozella View Post
    Can you, or anyone else, confirm that ALL the 12FV's are small shank? I've got a target action and a 12 LRPV, both large shank, but I think my back ordered 12FV is going to be a small shank. I think I'm right on this, but I'd like some confirmation.
    I have 3
    223 purchased October last year
    308 purchased February this year
    22-250 purchased May of this year

All mine are small shank. All but the 22-250 are sub moa, have not had a chance to take the 22-250 out yet.

Negan
    Quote Originally Posted by adam38654 View Post
    Not to be a Debbie downer but I would just be to worried that the rifle wouldn't be in in time to send of for the rebate. Granted Savage makes there own barrel so they don't have to wait on a shipment of blanks but who knows.
    I think we will be ok as the form is due by January 2018. I found the form online but I have no idea how to post an image here. hehe. It is a file on my laptop and it is not hosted so I have no url. :-)

Basic Member
    I was lucky, when I got mine last week, it was the last 22-250 in the store, and after I got it, there were no more FV's left in the store of any caliber. Just sent off the Mail in Rebate today.

UglyBagofWater
    I was told by Cabela's CS that the UPC code on the 12FV is indeed on the list of items that qualify for the $100 MIR. They were not sure if you could use more than one rebate per household.

Would this rifle, at it's sale price, make for a decent entry/intermediate PRS rifle? I would work on the trigger and replace the stock (add DBM). Eventually replace the barrel. Looking for a slow and cheap entry into PRS before I go full hog wild.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyBagofWater View Post
    I was told by Cabela's CS that the UPC code on the 12FV is indeed on the list of items that qualify for the $100 MIR. They were not sure if you could use more than one rebate per household.

Would this rifle, at it's sale price, make for a decent entry/intermediate PRS rifle? I would work on the trigger and replace the stock (add DBM). Eventually replace the barrel. Looking for a slow and cheap entry into PRS before I go full hog wild.
    If you want a Savage, I would check Sportsmans Warehouse. They had the BA Stealths for around $900 plus a $150 rebate. Not sure when that sale ended. Personally, I think you'll be frustrated with a Savage for PRS style comps. I did lots of research on the same subject and decided it was better to stash away for an MPA 6 or 6.5 CM and just start right. There's a big difference in a purpose built action than a Savage for that application.

Seems like lots of people have issues with Savages running in tough, PRS type conditions. For a bench or target style rig, I think you'd be fine. I picked up a .308 to drop into a heave stock to try my hand at F/TR.

UglyBagofWater
    Thanks TS. What are some of the differences and frustrations? I can always start with my RAR .308, which shoots okay, but tapered barrel and no DBM option holds me back. At this point, I just want to give some local PRS a try to see if I will really like it before I invest more heavily (aka Bergara, Tikka, Rem 700, etc). It may take me two years to build to that level.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by UglyBagofWater View Post
    Thanks TS. What are some of the differences and frustrations? I can always start with my RAR .308, which shoots okay, but tapered barrel and no DBM option holds me back. At this point, I just want to give some local PRS a try to see if I will really like it before I invest more heavily (aka Bergara, Tikka, Rem 700, etc). It may take me two years to build to that level.
    Extraction seems to be the big issue I see a lot. I have not looked into those for PRS style matches, so I can't really comment. I ended up going with a custom. I'm about 70% of the way saved up.

Negan
    Just noticed that the 6.5 Creedmoor is back to limited stock but my order from 9/9 is still "in-process". Wish there was some sign of when this will arrive and I hope I am not getting bumped by new orders....

Basic Member
    My brother does fine at the PRS matches he attends. His first couple years he used a bone stock 260 LRP. Now the only thing that he has done to it is a 6.5x47 L barrel after he wore out the factory one. He is now sponsored so he put a McRee's precision stock on it.... but he liked the factory stock just fine.

Basic Member
    I am not sure a FV is the best PRS gun, but for a starter gun.... why not give it a try.

Basic Member
    Say, I'm a new 12FV owner and have a question. I have designs on using a MDT chassis and would want to convert to removable Box Magazine.
    I saw a post way back in this monster thread about this, and someone responded it could be done for about 30 some odd dollars of parts...all I have seen is a 200.00+ dollar
    deal to convert. Can someone explain what is requires?

Thanks for any help,

Russellc

Negan
    Quote Originally Posted by russellc View Post
    Say, I'm a new 12FV owner and have a question. I have designs on using a MDT chassis and would want to convert to removable Box Magazine.
    I saw a post way back in this monster thread about this, and someone responded it could be done for about 30 some odd dollars of parts...all I have seen is a 200.00+ dollar
    deal to convert. Can someone explain what is requires?

Thanks for any help,

Russellc
    I would also be very interested in this!