Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor, 260, or 6.5x55...

Same just has a 30 degree shoulder and instead of a 40.

There is really no performance difference between the 6.5SLR and the .260 Ackley at least in what I have seen and read. Supposedly easier to feed from a magazine but I have never had any trouble feeding an Ackley case from the magazine.

LongRange
    Ive seen a lot of debate over the 260 vs 260 ackley....other than less case stretch and a small gain in case capacity what is the advantage of the AI? other than its an AI...and is case stretch REALLY that much less?

10% extra case capacity and an average increase of 150 fps, is more than a small gain in my book anyways.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Increase in case capacity but also makes the 260 much more efficient. With 42gr of H4350 I'm am able to get 2940fps out of my 260AI. For comparison sake I am running 43.5gr of H4350 in my standard 260 to achieve 2860 fps. Both 26" barrels and I know a lot of the difference in velocity could be attributed to a fast barrel but not all of it.

You guys are making me want to make my next barrel a 260AI instead of a Creed... lol

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    10% extra case capacity and an average increase of 150 fps, is more than a small gain in my book anyways.

Dean
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    Increase in case capacity but also makes the 260 much more efficient. With 42gr of H4350 I'm am able to get 2940fps out of my 260AI. For comparison sake I am running 43.5gr of H4350 in my standard 260 to achieve 2860 fps. Both 26" barrels and I know a lot of the difference in velocity could be attributed to a fast barrel but not all of it.
    interesting...some day when i get over the sticker shock of the new car i just bought the wife and my obsession with the 6x47lap ill have to re-barrel in 260AI....or should i say in december or january.

There is really no performance difference between the 6.5SLR and the .260 Ackley at least in what I have seen and read. Supposedly easier to feed from a magazine but I have never had any trouble feeding an Ackley case from the magazine.
    I am betting that the 6.5 SLR/S improved will hit 2950 plus with a 142 smk with under 44 grains of powder. Longer neck, COAL 3.845 typical pita to make brass. That closing in on the 6.5-284 with more barrel life. Basically a Mystic with a longer neck. I think I may have to be the crash dummy.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

The 6.5 WSM is also a viable option, plenty of UMP, I can send those 140s @ 3500 +

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Well snagged a nice 260 barrel from a kind gent on here so just waiting for it to get here.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    I am betting that the 6.5 SLR/S improved will hit 2950 plus with a 142 smk with under 44 grains of powder. Longer neck, COAL 3.845 typical pita to make brass. That closing in on the 6.5-284 with more barrel life. Basically a Mystic with a longer neck. I think I may have to be the crash dummy.
    I have had my .260AI a little over 3000fps but it just didn't shoot well enough for me pushed that hard. I have built quite a few .260AIs here in the last couple years for my self and a few friends of mine and everyone of them shoots the best right around the 2950 mark. There is a nice thread over on coueswhitetail.com that a guy built a 6.5SLR and he documented very well step by step all the way through load development.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by mwells72774 View Post
    Well snagged a nice 260 barrel from a kind gent on here so just waiting for it to get here.

You will be very happy with the 260.

LongRange
    I have had my .260AI a little over 3000fps but it just didn't shoot well enough for me pushed that hard. I have built quite a few .260AIs here in the last couple years for my self and a few friends of mine and everyone of them shoots the best right around the 2950 mark. There is a nice thread over on coueswhitetail.com that a guy built a 6.5SLR and he documented very well step by step all the way through load development.

Ive shot my plain jane 260 at 3076fps with 142g smks with a pretty nice 5 shot group but the brass wasnt happy...5pcs of twice fired lapua brass went in the recycle bin.

The 6.5 WSM is also a viable option, plenty of UMP, I can send those 140s @ 3500 +

Dean

Well that sounds fun.

Quote Originally Posted by upSLIDEdown View Post
    Well that sounds fun.
    It is!!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Don't worry Hotolds, when your throat is torched soon, I have a 6.5wsm barrel sitting here for you
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Apache is running a $99.00 "rethroat" special, and that includes the shipping back.

Dean

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Don't worry Hotolds, when your throat is torched soon, I have a 6.5wsm barrel sitting here for you
    Noted
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

LongRange
    Apache is running a $99.00 "rethroat" special, and that includes the shipping back.

Dean
    Dean does he set barrels back?

You guys shooting 6.5wsm's, any experience with the 6.5saum?

Thread here:
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...ing-a-6-5-SAUM

Brass availability has kept me from experimenting with the SAUM. Sure, it's available now, but in a couple of years I wouldn't bet on it. I own a few 350 Remington Mags, and I'm not about to jump in that pit again. When my 6.5 WSM barrel's accuracy starts falling off, I'll probably retool with a 6.5/06AI and go that route. Even WSM brass is hard to find unless you wanna pay top dollar for mediocre brass.

Quote Originally Posted by LongRange View Post
    Dean does he set barrels back?
    Yes Siree BOB setback rethroat potato patato, LOL

Dean

LongRange
    Yes Siree BOB setback rethroat potato patato, LOL

Dean
    thanks Dean...i have a nice 28" shilen im going to send him and have him send it back at 24-25".

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    Brass availability has kept me from experimenting with the SAUM. Sure, it's available now, but in a couple of years I wouldn't bet on it. I own a few 350 Remington Mags, and I'm not about to jump in that pit again. When my 6.5 WSM barrel's accuracy starts falling off, I'll probably retool with a 6.5/06AI and go that route. Even WSM brass is hard to find unless you wanna pay top dollar for mediocre brass.
    Yeah, supposedly the barrel life on the SAUM is the major draw, as it supposedly runs at 308 pressure levels.

6,5 WSM over 6.5 SAUM every time, my 257 WSM is also up there in the king of the hill category.

Dean

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast