Thread: Savage 12 LRP accessory question

freeflight

Savage 12 LRP accessory question

Hi there,

I recently ordered a Savage 12 LRP in 260 REM. My goal is to shoot one thousand yards. Need some help pick a scope mount base. I would like to buy a 20 MOA steel scope base. TPS seems to be the cheapest one,
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/253...on-matte-steel

One of the reviewers says he had to remove the recoil lug on the scope mount in order to install on the 12LRP. Is this still true as of 2012?

Also need to buy brass. Remington is $53/100, Lapua is $109/100. Is Lapua worth the premium?

Thanks,
    Kevin

82boy
    To start, you may or may not need a 20 MOA base to go out to 1000 yards, you need to see what the availble travel is in the scope your using and see what is needed. If you want the best steel bases look at Ken Ferrell, they are about the same price as the base you have listed. I cant say if the recoil lug would interfeer with the mount your looking at, but I can not imigine needing to take it off to install a base, if so I think I would stay away from that base. The recoil lug is a vital part of the rifle. Yes Lapua brass is WELL worth the preimum.

freeflight
    Thanks for your reply. I put a 20MOA base on every rifle because I enjoy pushing target further and further to explore the limit of my gears, myself and the cartridge.

The reviewer said he filed the recoil lug of the scope base, not the recoil lug of the rifle.
    Last edited by freeflight; 12-14-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Elkbane
    If that's the case, I'd be careful relying too much on that review because there is NO SUCH THING as a recoil lug on a scope base (at least for Savage Actions). To have a recoil lug, you'd have to mill a slot in the top of the action for it to fit into. Maybe he meant that the scope base slightly overlapped the recoil lug / action junction at the front of the action and he had to file / relieve the overlap area on the underside of the base so that there was no contact on the recoil lug??

For the record, I have 3 different one-piece rails on Savage actions and none of them contact the recoil lug. The EGW has a protrusion that extends forward above the recoil lug, but it is constructed with a relieved bottom surface so that it does not contact the lug itself - just gives you additional mounting slots on top.
    Elkbane

freeflight
    Oh well, the TPS base is out of stock. Does anyone have experience with Weaver 20MOA base on the 12LRP?

thomae

Taking a step back to clarify things and answer the OP's original question.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkbane View Post
    ...If that's the case, I'd be careful relying too much on that review because there is NO SUCH THING as a recoil lug on a scope base (at least for Savage Actions).
    Sir, might I gently suggest you conduct slightly more exhaustive research because your statement is simply incorrect. I would rely on that review because Weaver and TPS tactical bases (and probably some other brands) do indeed have recoil lugs. Please see below.

Quote Originally Posted by 82boy View Post
    ...I cant say if the recoil lug would interfeer (sic) with the mount your(sic) looking at, but I can not imigine needing to take it off to install a base, if so I think I would stay away from that base. The recoil lug is a vital part of the rifle.
    Sir, in this case, the recoil lug in question is a not the rifle's recoil lug (between the receiver and the barrel nut), but rather a vital part of the Weaver (and apparently the TPS) tactical scope base. Please see below.

Quote Originally Posted by freeflight View Post
    ... TPS seems to be the cheapest one,
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/253...on-matte-steel One of the reviewers says he had to remove the recoil lug on the scope mount in order to install on the 12LRP. Is this still true as of 2012?
    Yes it is still true. The TPS (along with the Weaver tactical bases) have an integral recoil lug (also called a "shoulder" in the MidwayUSA copy). This lug fits directly behind the forward edge of the open ejection port of the open-topped (non target) actions.

In the two photos below, the front of the Weaver base I am holding is to the right as you look at the photos. You can see the protrusion ("lug," or "shoulder") that sticks out about two inches to the right of my thumb, and to the left of the forward mounting holes. What this does is transfer the recoil forces directly to the base through this lug, thus taking some of the stress from the recoil force transfer away from the mounting screws themselves.

Because the Savage long range precision action is a target action, it has a closed top over the ejection port, unlike the open top of the hunting rifles. Because of this, there is no edge for the lug or shoulder on the base to lock onto.

Therefore, to answer one of the OP's original questions, if you wish to correctly mount a scope base rail with an integral recoil lug onto a closed top action such as the LRP series, yes, you must first grind off the scope base's recoil lug so that it will fit tightly against the top of the receiver.

I hope this makes sense and clarifies the confusion endemic to this thread.

Last edited by thomae; 12-15-2012 at 12:28 AM.

Oh well, the TPS base is out of stock. Does anyone have experience with Weaver 20MOA base on the 12LRP?
    I'm running that base on my 260 lrp you will have to grind the recoil lug off the base since the reciver is solid on the unlike the model 12

freeflight
    Thanks a lot. Your reply confirmed my concern about the recoil lug. I have to pass the Weaver or TPS. I believe Nightforce makes one without recoil lug, but it is a little pricey. Just wish there is cheaper alternative.
    Last edited by freeflight; 12-15-2012 at 03:23 AM.

helotaxi
    EGW doesn't have a recoil lug. I've used several of them and installed one on a buddy's LRP, in fact.

thomae
    The "standard" Weaver does not have the recoil lug. Only the "tactical" rail. However, the standard rail is not available with a 20 degree cant.

EGW on my LRP with no problems,good price too. Yes on lapua brass. Whatever you do don't get Nosler brass. If you're still looking for a scope don't buy anything Bushnell. Their warranty and support is terrible.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Egw has a couple grades you can buy.They have a regular 1 piece mount and they have a heavy duty.Brownells has a heavy duty rail for your gun too. I have 4 or 5 egw's and the quality(made in pennsylvania) is very good ,price is quite reasonable.
    Willing to give back for what the sport has done for me!

snowshoes
    I put a warne tactical on my LRP with no problems.

freeflight
    Thanks guys. Bought the Weaver Tactical 20 MOA base for savage short action, just have to grind out the the recoil lug.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/315...t-action-matte

Briney Eye
    Thanks guys. Bought the Weaver Tactical 20 MOA base for savage short action, just have to grind out the the recoil lug.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/315...t-action-matte
    That's what I did. Took a few minutes of grinding with the Dremel. A good half-round riffler file might be better, but I don't have one.