Thread: Axis barrel swap

Basic Member

Axis barrel swap

Hello all, I have been hearing that maybe I can't change the barrel on the axis myself due to the threads, I need to know before I go buy my next probject so any input would be great thanx in advance

I put a Criterion 22-250 barrel on my axis less than 2 years ago. take your Serial# off your rifle and call Savage. You should have a large or small shank size (small most likely) and the thread pattern should also be available. I ordered my barrel through Northland Shooter Supply.

Team Savage
    All Axis actions are small shank

Basic Member
    When you say "due to threads", what does this mean?

The only potential issue is blasting media lodged in the threads. I've done three axis builds so far and they all have had it. It's not really a big deal I just spend plenty of time chasing the threads inside the receiver with a dental pick to make sure they are clean before installing the new barrel. Also if you don't remove the scope mount be sure to at least pull the mounting screw closest to the barrel, it is likely tightened into the barrel threads and will gauld the hell out of them if you leave it in place.
    Ninner

Basic Member
    Sorry about not responding right away have not had Internet lately anyway the reason I asked is the eabco website states that axis threads are commonly shallower then the norm. So simply threading on like others commonly does not happen. Just wanted some input from those of you who have done it thankyou

I don't want to say EA Brown is full of equine excrement, but I will imply it strongly! I'm kidding, but I've never seen or heard that, nor does it gel with the underlying philosophy of the Axis rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokestick View Post
    Sorry about not responding right away have not had Internet lately anyway the reason I asked is the eabco website states that axis threads are commonly shallower then the norm. So simply threading on like others commonly does not happen. Just wanted some input from those of you who have done it thankyou
    In my limited experience 4 Axis builds as of this morning, this sounds like bullshit to me. I'm an hobby machinist who grew up working in my dads production shop. If I hadn't went into industrial controls I'd have a machine shop right now. Other than the blast media issue and possible resulting thread rounding I have not had any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Smokestick View Post
    info from their website:
    Edge/Axis Fitting Information - Original Savage "Edge" Rifles were renamed "Axis". Receiver barrel threads on these rifles are sometimes a little too small to fit 10/110 barrel. E. R. Shaw has dimensioned the threads on their 10/110 barrels so that they will fit Savage Edge/Axis receivers. However, you should remember Edge/Axis is otherwise a different receiver than the 10/110 series... It will not fit the same stocks for example.

In my limited experience 4 Axis builds as of this morning, this sounds like bullshit to me. I'm an hobby machinist who grew up working in my dads production shop. If I hadn't went into industrial controls I'd have a machine shop right now. Other than the blast media issue and possible resulting thread rounding I have not had any issues. After reviewing the website my guess is that any time there have been problems crap has been lodged in the threads. On the 22-250 build this week I chased the threads with a dental pick for about 30 minutes and still had a tight spot about 1/4 turn in, felt like it was cross threaded which i knew it was not. Anyway, I worked the barrel in and out of the receiver several times while liberally applying oil and it cleaned itself up after plenty of black crap came out. I sure wish they would clean the barrel and receiver before assembly. I'd even be willing to pay the extra $5 it would cost.

Basic Member
    Thank you use for clearing that up for me, I will continue ahead with my next project plan now that you guys have cleared the fog for me thanks again