Thread: Stock spacing

Basic Member

Stock spacing

I’m not understanding where the spacing is coming from (the number) 4.27 or 4.4? How do you get this or figure it out. Is it for long action or short action? I have a 110 tactical, which would this be?

You measure the centerline on the action screws!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1Doggy View Post
    You measure the centerline on the action screws!
    Gotcha, thanks.

Basic Member
    Not that I need one was just curious as what to look for if I was wanting to replace the stock. Thanks.

Basic Member
    I’m thinking the questions you will need to answer first is: action screw spacing, center feed or stagger feed, blind mag or detachable mag, barrel diameter, accutrigger or pre accutrigger.
    When you have those answers then you should be able to navigate any of the manufacturers web sites to make your selection. I’m sure I missed something but can’t think of it this early.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by olddav View Post
    I’m thinking the questions you will need to answer first is: action screw spacing, center feed or stagger feed, blind mag or detachable mag, barrel diameter, accutrigger or pre accutrigger.
    When you have those answers then you should be able to navigate any of the manufacturers web sites to make your selection. I’m sure I missed something but can’t think of it this early.
    Top or bottom bolt release .

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by daved20319 View Post
    Top or bottom bolt release .
    Bottom bolt release. Detachable mag. It’s a Savage 110 Tactical. Says heavy barrel.

The short actions have about three spacings. The long action has one spacing but depending on if it is stagger or center fed(the way the magazine delivers the cartridge for the bolt to strip the round) is a different inlet for the magazine. Also, stock wise, the other thing to consider top or bottom bolt release.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I have a nice Choate tactical in the classifieds for you!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1Doggy View Post
    I have a nice Choate tactical in the classifieds for you!
    Link? And you know if it will fit the 110 Tactical? I haven’t looked anything up yet on the specs.

Click on the Classifieds and look!

Quote Originally Posted by Bama110Tac View Post
    Bottom bolt release. Detachable mag. It’s a Savage 110 Tactical. Says heavy barrel.
    Savages web site shows the 110 Tactical to be a top bolt release(most magazine releases are bottom).

If you consider that most of us are answering or discussing questions about rifles from the 60's to current on this forum....110 doesn't really mean much to most because of Savage going back and forth with nomenclature. So letting everyone know if it is current production would help. Your cartridge will often dictate the action length unless it is an older action where everything was in long action. Otherwise the fact that it is a bottom release tells us it is a modern action. Since few of us know all of the cartridges that are in every specific model it makes it easy for one of us to throw out some errant info.

Your rifle would be easy to find a stock or chassis for.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Savages web site shows the 110 Tactical to be a top bolt release(most magazine releases are bottom).

If you consider that most of us are answering or discussing questions about rifles from the 60's to current on this forum....110 doesn't really mean much to most because of Savage going back and forth with nomenclature. So letting everyone know if it is current production would help. Your cartridge will often dictate the action length unless it is an older action where everything was in long action. Otherwise the fact that it is a bottom release tells us it is a modern action. Since few of us know all of the cartridges that are in every specific model it makes it easy for one of us to throw out some errant info.

Your rifle would be easy to find a stock or chassis for.
    Thanks, good points and my fault. It is a new 110 tactical and your right it is a top bolt release with the bottom mag release, I don’t know why I was thinking bottom. Thanks.