Thread: Mod. 116 FSAK 30-06 lefty version questions.

Mod. 116 FSAK 30-06 lefty version questions.

Introduced myself a few weeks ago. Wondering if anybody has a rifle like mine or similar that replaced the factory black stock with something better? Ordered it new from Walmart back in 1995. Later on, I put a Zeiss Conquest HD5 Z-600 scope 2x-10x on it. Also, i may get to go on a elk hunt later this year. I do have a box of 50 Hornady SST 180gr. bullets I can have a buddy load. Any other recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Mod 116-30-06 View Post
    Introduced myself a few weeks ago. Wondering if anybody has a rifle like mine or similar that replaced the factory black stock with something better? Ordered it new from Walmart back in 1995. Later on, I put a Zeiss Conquest HD5 Z-600 scope 2x-10x on it. Also, i may get to go on a elk hunt later this year. I do have a box of 50 Hornady SST 180gr. bullets I can have a buddy load. Any other recommendations?
    If looking for a more "traditional hunting stock" you might take a look at Boyd's laminate stocks. It's about the cheapest option, and a much better stock then the OEM plastic stock.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/

You mean like this one?
    It's an FLCSAK in 30-06 and my favorite Savage. I ordered it through a local gun shop in the mid 1990s.
    Does yours have the detachable box mag? If so an aftermarket stock may be hard to find.
    Not sure how much better you need for a stock, Mine loves the following handloads: (This is a MAX listed load and I dont shoot it because it's hot, I shoot it because all the bullets go in the same hole.) Winchester brass,with 57gr of IMR4350, a CCI BR2 primer, and a 165gr Sierra Game King boat tail hollowpoint. It has put a best 10 shot group into .446" at 100 yards, will put 3 rounds through the center of a quarter at will without touching the edge, and killed truckloads of deer since I bought it new. I don't think I'll be messing with the stock or anything else.
    The only Thing I have done to it is put a lighter trigger spring in it made from piano wire from the hardware store, and adjusted the sear engagement screw to my liking.The trigger is now very very good.
    If you dont have the detachable box magazine on yours then a stock for an old flatback "long action-staggerfeed" should be easy enough to find. You may have to open the barrel channel just a little because it is a medium contour barrel.

If you dont mind camo or paint pretty much any of the aftermarket synthetics in right hand can have the bolt cutout filled with epoxy and a new bolt cutout made on the correct side and painted.I've done this on a couple of lefty projects.
    What is it you don't like about the factory dual pillar bedded synthetic? Maybe it's something a little tinkering can fix.

Congratulations on owning one, I don't think there are many out there and they have been discontinued for quite a while.

[IMG][/IMG] Here's a factory right handed synthetic I converted to lefty, epoxy bedded, cut down for the kids, made a kydex cheek riser for, and painted. It was a fun project. [IMG][/IMG]
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    The other day I was looking at stuff on Numerich and they had like 10 pages of stocks. They where pretty cheap too. All configurations, except for the one I was looking for.I have a 112 from that era with the plastic stock as well . I figured if I got something nice I would scratch it up the first time hunting. I moved to a wooden factory stock the other day, haven't been hunting yet,cause it still looks good lol.Good luck to you.

Thanks to you guys for taking the time to answer my post. Mine is a top fed. Thought a better stock for grip in wet conditions might be available. I'm shooting Nosler 125 BT with IMR 4831 at 61.5 grain. My brother in law has a 30-06 too. He shoots what ever in 150 gr.. We do all our own butchering on the farm. Bullet damage about the same. Most are 100-150 yard shots. Just received the newly released Nosler 9 manual. Your 165 Sierra load is the best out of 10 powders. IMR4350 with 57grs. having 2832 fps. and 101% load density.

Quote Originally Posted by Mod 116-30-06 View Post
    Thanks to you guys for taking the time to answer my post. Mine is a top fed. Thought a better stock for grip in wet conditions might be available. I'm shooting Nosler 125 BT with IMR 4831 at 61.5 grain. My brother in law has a 30-06 too. He shoots what ever in 150 gr.. We do all our own butchering on the farm. Bullet damage about the same. Most are 100-150 yard shots. Just received the newly released Nosler 9 manual. Your 165 Sierra load is the best out of 10 powders. IMR4350 with 57grs. having 2832 fps. and 101% load density.

One of the older Nosler manuals is where I got the data that I started with years ago that lead me to my pet load for my rifle. LOL. I shot some factory 125gr remington stuff a couple of decades ago and it sprayed so wide it wouldn't group on a dinner plate so I haven't tried any more light factory ammo, bullets or handloads with the lightweight stuff. I guess if figure if you have a load that puts 'em all in one hole why try anything else?

The sponge camo on a factory synthetic like the little carbine build I did gives it a pretty good texture, not rough but grippy. I did it with rustoleum camo paint and topped it with Testors dull coat lacquer. it's held up well over the years.
    You might also experiment with some other modern marvels like maybe some bedliner, spider web spray paint, or maybe even some of that rubberized coating and find something that will give it the texture you're after instead of a whole new stock.

I don't have one of these on a Savage but I do have one of their rubber overmolded stocks that's been on a 10/22 for many years and it's held up well. Looks like they're making them for Savages now. You might search the site and see if there are some reviews or something. Here's a link to a stock that may fit what you're looking for. https://www.hogueinc.com/stocks/sava.../topload/heavy
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.