Thread: A22 more accurate than 10-22?

A22 more accurate than 10-22?

What sort of accuracy are you guys getting from your A22? I've got a 10-22 that's sort of accurate with a few different ammos but the best it seems to be capable of is 1.5 MOA at 50 or 100 yards and most ammo is more like 2 MOA. It's not a fancy barrel but it's bedded and the trigger is re-worked and good. That level of accuracy is satisfactory for some but I really want something more accurate. I don't think the 10-22 is consistently capable or sub-MOA short of spending a fortune on a Kidd or Volquartsen.

Is the A-22 any better? Is it possible to upgraded it so that it's reliably a MOA shooter?

Any input appreciated.

Basic Member
    I think most of the very accurate 10-22s have been modified extensively. Barrels, stocks, bolts, triggers, springs are all pretty commonly available for the Ruger. I can't imagine the A-22 aftermarket will be nearly as robust.

Even with heavy aftermarket modification most 10-22's (and most other rimfires, for that matter) seem to be considered "accurate" if they shoot a half inch at 25 yards or maybe under an inch at 50 yards. And, granted, that's no not nothinig and certainly decent hunting accuracy within the usual range of the round.
    There isn't as much aftermarket support for the A-22 but I'm wondering if anyone has anything near 1 MOA accuracy with any version of the A-22.

Basic Member
    I had an A-22 for a couple years and when I put a Gunshack trigger-spring into it I was able to get groups under 1" at 50 and about 1.5" at 100, using a 12X scope and SV ammo. The t-spring got the pull down to about 2.5# - half of where it started. As for ammo, you have to test to find the 'best' for your particular rifle. Mine did well with SK+ but also CCI-SV. Having a good 'Stable' rest is key to 'real accuracy'. I moved on to CZs after the A-22 - you can get a used CZ452 or 455 for the price of an A22. But I also have a B-22 that I've kept since b4 the 'A' and it shoots almost as well as the 455 I have. And ALL my 22s have 'low-pull' triggers after 'polishing the innerds' and adjustiing or replacing springs.

I can tell you that a the nicer factory 10/22 models with a heavy barrel, good stock, etc. and fitted with their BX trigger are more than capable of shooting 1/4" groups at 50 yards in the right hands and with the right ammo. There's a whole competitive series who's origins were based solely around the 10/22 called the Automatic Benchrest Rimfire Association that's been in existence for a 10 years or so now. My local range held the biggest monthly matches in the country for the ABRA up until the end of last years season at which point they cut ties with the ABRA due to issues with the owner/founder.

The "hot 10/22" for the factory class has long been the Talo distributor exclusive 10/22 Sporter in blued or stainless. Simply replace the stock trigger with the Ruger BX trigger and bed the action to get the best bet for the ABRA factory class. I've seen these guns shoot single card scores in the low to mid 190's (200 being a perfect score) in the hands of a skilled shooter with top shelf ammo.

As to whether the A22 is as or more accurate than the 10/22, that would depend. In stock trim, base model v. base model, I would say the Savage is regularly going to win that showdown for accuracy. When you start talking about overall potential accuracy via aftermarket mods, the 10/22 will win hands-down solely due to the unlimited abundance of aftermarket options available for it whereas the Savage has very little aftermarket support to date.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

This video clearly addresses your question head on...

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fasteddie01 View Post
    I had an A-22 for a couple years and when I put a Gunshack trigger-spring into it I was able to get groups under 1" at 50 and about 1.5" at 100, using a 12X scope and SV ammo. The t-spring got the pull down to about 2.5# - half of where it started. As for ammo, you have to test to find the 'best' for your particular rifle. Mine did well with SK+ but also CCI-SV. Having a good 'Stable' rest is key to 'real accuracy'. I moved on to CZs after the A-22 - you can get a used CZ452 or 455 for the price of an A22. But I also have a B-22 that I've kept since b4 the 'A' and it shoots almost as well as the 455 I have. And ALL my 22s have 'low-pull' triggers after 'polishing the innerds' and adjustiing or replacing springs.
    Agree about the bolt actions being more desirable in terms of accuracy. I've got a Ruger 77-22 that's probably my favorite rifle. It shoots as well as I can, for sure. I've been on the trail of getting real accuracy out of a semi-auto, ideally without devastating the bank account.

I'm tempted to find the cheapest model of the A-22 and start tinkering but I think I'd like to end up with one of the Boyd's stocks anyway, so I might just as well start looking at the Target or Varmint models. :)