Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does your wife know how many guns you own?

Basic Member

Does your wife know how many guns you own?

I was thinking today about a new rifle, I just recently bought one, I never did mention it to my wife nor do I have any intentions about letting her know about the next purchase. I know she has no idea how many I do own, they all do look a like and I have no idea how many I own, so it would be impossible for her to know.

Am I the only husband out there not sharing every detail with his wife when it comes to firearms? She knows I am always tinkering with something, she has never once asked if I am finished with it. It seems to me that if she were altering a dress at some point in time I would expect her to be finished.
    Run until your heart bursts

Basic Member
    My wife and I are very open with our finances. She doesn't care about the number of guns I have or purchase, so long as the purchases don't affect our financial goals.

She's knows what I buy and I know what she buys. I think that goes a long way with her being comfortable with how many guns I have.

Basic Member
    I don't think that I know how many I have. I'm an FFL and mostly do custom orders. I don't stock much as inventory. When a customer asks for a specific gun, I may order two. One for me and one for the customer. Then I sell the extra as a used gun (full disclosure to the customer) if it ends up that I don't use it much or particularly care for it as much as I thought I would. What is my total personal count (in my personal safe and not the business safe) at any given time? I have no idea. They are all written down, but I'd have to count the active entires in the log book to know for sure.

My wife and I were at a meeting with our financial advisor. Something came up about me always buying guns. My financial advisor informed my wife that if you buy the right gun at the right price then it is an excellent investment. She doesn't say anything about me buying guns anymore! Yes, she knows how many guns that WE have.

Basic Member
    Me and my girlfriend live together and have been for probably 5 or so years (so might as well be married). She does not really know how many I have (heck, I really don't) and does not really care. Same thing about buying new ones. As long as all the bills are paid and we are not going into debt, she does not care. She says most all of them look the same to her. There are only a few she knows specifically by make and model, mainly because they are extra fun or different (example: Desert Eagle). She does like shooting too, so that helps with new gun and ammo purchases. We also have separate bank accounts so purchases made by one does not effect the other.
    She also knows how thrifty I am and how I scour everywhere for the best possible deal before I buy, sometimes saving myself hundreds. Then I show her how much I saved and she always says good job.

I don't hide them if that's what you're getting at.
    Do you know/ask/care how many pairs of shoes your wife has? LOL
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    No did not mean hide. My wife has her own guns, she shoots and throws knives, can't make that up. The money aspect has never really been part of it for us. The excess might be though. How many pairs of shoes she owns, I have no idea, maybe an excessive amount.

Basic Member
    I also recently bought one and never told my wife and also am not trying to hide it either. When I was younger I would buy but never sell any gun I had, I had several when we married 40 years ago and I bought a Remington pump because I wanted one and as she was a city girl I got her to go with me a few times. She enjoyed it so we bought her a 243 Remington auto and she has killed a bunch of deer with it and still is the only gun she wants to shoot. As I have gotten older and don"t hunt as much, I have sold a few I haven't shot in years and put the money in a gun fund. That is what I use now to buy barrels that I use in my 2 Axis, Stevens 200 sa and 111 la, she doesn't care if I buy parts to swap around but that usually comes out of the gun fund. The only gun I would have to talk to her about is the 243 that is hers. This is second marriage for both of us and we have always trusted each other when it comes to finances, she worked like I did and we retired at the same time so we spend a lot of time together - hard to hide things when you are together as much as we are.

Basic Member
    My wife knows she carries one of my guns. She knows I have multiple in the safe. As for the number, she asked once and said she didn't even know what was in the safe. I told her it would just keep her awake at night....

Nope. The key is to get more than six so they become "all those" guns.

But she does have all my pistols on her unrestricted permit, and I hers. ;-)
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    2 words - hell no. And she could care less anyway...the bills get paid.

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    Do you know/ask/care how many pairs of shoes your wife has? LOL
    I am thinking around 1200.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stumpkiller View Post
    Nope. The key is to get more than six so they become "all those" guns.

But she does have all my pistols on her unrestricted permit, and I hers. ;-)
    Wait, you have to list your pistols on your carry permit???

Basic Member

Does your wife know how many guns you own?

Quote Originally Posted by plasticweld View Post
    I know she has no idea how many I do own, they all do look a like and I have no idea how many I own, so it would be impossible for her to know.
    Except for a couple of pronoun substitutions, that accurately describes what I know about the number of purses my wife has.

I couldn't care less how many bags she has as long as it doesn't put us in the poor house, and she feels the same about my various hobbies. Now, I've got a good friend whose wife knows about between 15-20% of his firearms purchases. He has three safes, and she only goes into one of them, so she doesn't have a clue what's in the others. To be fair, they're a relatively happy growing family with no financial issues... but we routinely joke that she would be absolutely shocked if she had any clue how many guns he actually owns. He buys and sells so frequently that the volume is obscured by the flow.

I showed him this thread yesterday, and I told him that there's a series of questions he should ask his wife just for kicks:

"How many guns do you think I own?"

"How many guns do you think I should own?"

"How many guns do you think I want to own?"

Feel free to add others... :)
    Model 10 FCP-SR | Vortex Viper PST | Schuler Brake

Basic Member
    My wife encourages me. On a rainy day,"Why don't you go . down to your gun room and play?" often followed up by,"When was the last time you cleaned your gun room?"

We shoot together as a family. My kids both in their late 30s both are active shooters. My son Russ and his wife's version of date night is a trip to the range, I good date weekend a trip to an out of state gun range. Everyone has a concealed carry permit with the exception of my daughters husband. At Christmas this year it was show everyone your carry gun, even my 82 year old mother carries all the time. My wife and I gave ammunition for Christmas gifts this year.

The topic came to mind when I realized I never mentioned my last purchase. I told her I joined the forum and had an itch to work on something. I bought an Axis to mess with then, thought what I really needed a finished gun with more capability.

She's glad to see me playing with something again. When she goes shopping on the weekend I have no idea what she is shopping for, I just know she is happy when she is doing it.

Basic Member
    In NY we have the same goofy system. I have my conceal carry permit which is filled and then an additional card that is full to. So I have to carry two cards. Some of her guns are on mine, none of mine are on hers, she does not want to carry two cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Sled View Post

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plasticweld View Post
    In NY we have the same goofy system. I have my conceal carry permit which is filled and then an additional card that is full to. So I have to carry two cards. Some of her guns are on mine, none of mine are on hers, she does not want to carry two cards.
    I feel for you guys that live in states like that. I had a KY State CDW permit for about 3 years after I retired, then GW signed the LEOSA Act, and now I just carry under that. When I qualify, I use the same gun (Beretta 92F) I carried on the PD, but when I carry it is always something else, usually a Sig P320 or S&W Bodyguard. (depending on how I'm dressed).
    One of the directives I have given my friends, is if I die, they are to get over to the house immediately and make sure the wife doesn't sell my guitars and guns for what she thinks I paid for them...… lol

My wife just complains about stubbing her toe on the one's sticking out from under the bed. I've got a gun case out in the garage I bought two months ago waiting to be stained so I can move it into the gun room. Just haven't gotten around to doing it yet. It's on my "to do" list.

Team Savage
    No, when we married I had a FFL, a government job and no other vices, I bought a gun of some kind two or three a month sometimes more. That’s was one of the things we talked about before marriage so I’ll had a gun fund account up today.

By make, caliber and serial number. Have to be on the carry (concealed) permit and also registered/updated every five years with the state police.

You do not want to be found with one on your person off your property with one not on your permit. Gov Cuomo sucks on the 2nd Amendment.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Gov Cuomo sucks on the 2nd Amendment.
    Just on the second amendment?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

By make, caliber and serial number. Have to be on the carry (concealed) permit and also registered/updated every five years with the state police.

You do not want to be found with one on your person off your property with one not on your permit. Gov Cuomo sucks on the 2nd Amendment.
    Move somewhere between the coasts. Oklahoma just passed a Constitutional Carry law that takes effect November 2019. Carry whatever you want without a permit. There are several other states between the coasts that have the same law.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scootergisme View Post
    Move somewhere between the coasts. Oklahoma just passed a Constitutional Carry law that takes effect November 2019. Carry whatever you want without a permit. There are several other states between the coasts that have the same law.
    I used to tell people that all the time when they said they lived in California, NY, Illinois, etc., but then I realized, if all the gun owners move to places like Kentucky, Oklahoma, etc., then the gun grabber own those states in perpetuity. Better that freedom loving people stay and fight to elect better representation.

I used to tell people that all the time when they said they lived in California, NY, Illinois, etc., but then I realized, if all the gun owners move to places like Kentucky, Oklahoma, etc., then the gun grabber own those states in perpetuity. Better that freedom loving people stay and fight to elect better representation.
    Good point Sled! We all need to make sure that we are all active voters. Supporting the NRA helps as well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scootergisme View Post
    Good point Sled! We all need to make sure that we are all active voters. Supporting the NRA helps as well.
    Yeah, sadly I dropped out of the NRA years ago when LaPierre pissed me off with his "Jack Booted Thugs" comments. I am joining again though, it really is the best organization fighting for our rights. And besides... Dana Loesch... Wow!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast