Thread: Need load info for 10 FLCP-K .308

oneshot57

Need load info for 10 FLCP-K .308

I have a new 10 FLCP-K on order and need help with load info for this rifle. It have the 26" heavy barrel in .308.
    I will use 168 & 155 gr. bullets Please give me your best load info.

Any help would be great!!

You have a very few posts, so this is your standard disclaimer.
    These are MY loads, in MY gun; NOT YOURS. This is reference ONLY. ALWAYS work-up to ANY load slowly.

My FP is a 24", I don't know that the harmonics will be the same in yours....
    My rifle LOVES 175SMK's with 43gr of Win 748.
    Don't recall OAL, but I'm 1/64" off the lands.
    2590 on a 5-shot ave. ES is in the single digits when using Br2's. WLR opens them to very low double digits.

I HAVE used only LC match, but haven't noticed a difference in any other brand; so I have every headstamp known using that load. For MY gun I think that max would be what Sierra shows, 43.6gr.
    However YMMV.
    Last edited by darkker; 07-28-2012 at 12:07 PM. Reason: Cotrrected Sierra max
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

oneshot57
    I understand not all loads the same in two different rifles. I was just looking for a point in the right direction. I have used 168 SMK in the past and was not sure about trying anything heavier. I do have W748, varget and IMR 4895 to work with.... This is a new rifle so I am starting out fresh. I thank you for your help!

I have a Savage Model 10-FP with a 20" barrel. It loves Sierra 168 Grain Matchkings. It's favorite load is 44 grains of Varget with the bullet seated .020 off the lands. It will shoot one ragged hole all day long with this load and calm conditions.
    We are lending money we don't have, to kids who can't pay it back, to train them for jobs that no longer exist.

Curtis12
    I too have a 10fp with a 20" barrel and I load 168 MK's with 42grs Varget at 2.80 OAL. I get 1" groups at 200 yards on calm days with no problems. I get 2475-2500fps with that load.

Curtis

Basic Member
    I shoot the same gun (fcp-k .308) 168 sierra matchkings and 43 grains of rl 15.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

oneshot57
    Thank you all for your input
    If anyone has other loads please post them. Besides myself others may need some help....

Basic Member
    My loads: 41g Accurate 4064 Sierra Matchkings Nosler brass CCI Large Rifle Primer. Does amazing things at long range.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    Which SMK do you shoot?Weight?

DubGunner
    Be sure to check your chamber for an accurate measurement for depth the lands/grooves. I've found that factory Federal Match measures 2.800 OAL, but that the bullets are already hitting the rifling at that depth. Using a Hornday guage I measured OAL for my loads for the same rifle to be around 2.76.

oneshot57
    Quote Originally Posted by DubGunner View Post
    Be sure to check your chamber for an accurate measurement for depth the lands/grooves. I've found that factory Federal Match measures 2.800 OAL, but that the bullets are already hitting the rifling at that depth. Using a Hornday guage I measured OAL for my loads for the same rifle to be around 2.76.
    That is the first thing I will do. I will need to choose the bullet I want to start with for the break in as it is a new rifle. I spent the day reorganizing my man cave and finished loading some pistol rounds I started some time ago. I think I will seat the loads for the FLCP-K .020 off the lands to start. I am not sure how well it will shoot during the break in anyway....

maddogg316
    I would try set point ammo
    You build your own loads and they will ship them quick
    That way you can try a few bullets weights while you break in that new RI and get an idea what it likes!
    Setpointammo.com

Ninedv
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot57 View Post
    I have a new 10 FLCP-K on order and need help with load info for this rifle. It have the 26" heavy barrel in .308.
    I will use 168 & 155 gr. bullets Please give me your best load info.

Any help would be great!!
    Mine likes the Hornady 168 hpbt match bullets over 45.3 gr of Varget... gives me 2800fps and 1/4 moa. Like most have said my gun my load.. start low and work your way up. Also seems my savage tubes need around 200 rounds though them before they start to shine.

Ninedv

oneshot57
    I made up some loads yesterday to break-in my virgin Savage 10 FLCP-K. Overall I was real happy to see how well it shot. I tried some Nosler 155 custom comp bullets I had on hand. I thought I would use them for break-in thinking I would use them up not expecting they would shoot well. They shot well to my suprise! Starting at 25 yds to get it on the paper. I then moved out to 50 yds and put the next 8 shots into one hole! I then moved out to 100 yds and got the best results with 168 SMK over 42 grns of varget, .020 off the lands. The break-in went much better than I thought it would. This rifle is all that everyone said it would be and more. I now have a good load to fine tune thanks to all the people here