Thread: 300 PRC - Show me yours

300 PRC - Show me yours

I am thinking of a single shot 300 PRC on a savage action.

I don't need a repeater and I am happy with a single shot. use mostly to punch paper and Elk hunt 1 a year.

Initially I plan to shoot the Hornady factory ammo and maybe someday reload.

I have an old 300 win mag and a new 300 win mag in LRH, for choice of actions.

I have large shank LRP but I don't think I have the correct bolt face for them. I am trying to keep cost to min.

decisions decisions
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Single-shot for a hunting rifle wouldn't be a sound choice IMO.

Why the .300 PRC? Gonna punch you harder than the WMs, and unless you're shooting target at ELR ranges it's not gonna do anything different than what you currently have.
    Yeah, it has a niche I suppose. If I wanted .300 WM performance without the belt, it would be my choice. Beyond that, not much difference to talk about for most applications.

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    Single-shot for a hunting rifle wouldn't be a sound choice IMO.

Why the .300 PRC? Gonna punch you harder than the WMs, and unless you're shooting target at ELR ranges it's not gonna do anything different than what you currently have.
    Yeah, it has a niche I suppose. If I wanted .300 WM performance without the belt, it would be my choice. Beyond that, not much difference to talk about for most applications.
    25 grains of powder may make a slight difference in velocity.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    25 grains of powder may make a slight difference in velocity.
    Wasn't my point.
    The .300 PRC was designed as an ELR round (including two-legged targets); as I said in the post unless he's shooting ELR ranges (no indication he is) I see it as less practical than what he has. He'll never see a difference inside 500-600 yards in performance, so why change (especially to a single-load rifle).

JMO. YMMV.

Basic Member
    Inside 5 or 6 hundred yards he wouldnt need the Win Mag either for that matter.
    I think you would find that a lot of guns used for long range are single feed, including those used for hunting.

Good points gentlemen, I agree, 300 WM is more than adequate.

This is more a want than a need, I am kinda bored and I like factory loaded ammo that my home state Hornady produces for 300 PRC

I trust a single feed more than a magazine, cuz it is all on me to load a new round.

I opted for single feed due the OAL issue, I really don't want to guy a 338 Lapua action and mag, unless a 338 action and mag drops from the sky on to my lap, I will stick with action from my stash.

500 Yards, I picked the # as I have access to 500 yard range ONLY and my ELK hunts might be a 500 yard - ish shot,

ELR - I don't have any access in Michigan to even remotely test the ELR capability past 500 yards, but I do plan to take a few weeks out west (shout out to you SOCAL guys around IE)

Barrel - without selling one of my kidneys, which barrel should I go for? I peeked at x-caliber and the price is good but I have NO clue as to the reamer he will use, should I email him and find out details of his 300 PRC reamer?

Contour - 26" bull is what i am thinking, heavy (but ain't my brother ;-)) but I can set it back if the throat get longer

Stock = MDT LSS
    Action = A long action, I need to test extraction with a dummy round
    Barrel =
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    Good points gentlemen, I agree, 300 WM is more than adequate.

This is more a want than a need, I am kinda bored and I like factory loaded ammo that my home state Hornady produces for 300 PRC

I trust a single feed more than a magazine, cuz it is all on me to load a new round.

I opted for single feed due the OAL issue, I really don't want to guy a 338 Lapua action and mag, unless a 338 action and mag drops from the sky on to my lap, I will stick with action from my stash.

500 Yards, I picked the # as I have access to 500 yard range ONLY and my ELK hunts might be a 500 yard - ish shot,

ELR - I don't have any access in Michigan to even remotely test the ELR capability past 500 yards, but I do plan to take a few weeks out west (shout out to you SOCAL guys around IE)

Barrel - without selling one of my kidneys, which barrel should I go for? I peeked at x-caliber and the price is good but I have NO clue as to the reamer he will use, should I email him and find out details of his 300 PRC reamer?

Contour - 26" bull is what i am thinking, heavy (but ain't my brother ;-)) but I can set it back if the throat get longer

Stock = MDT LSS
    Action = A long action, I need to test extraction with a dummy round
    Barrel =
    I personally think your priorities arent in proper order if hunting is your goal for a new gun.
    If you have been around this site very long you would know that as a rule i only post an opinion when it involves long range hunting or the guns used for it.
    Ive been hunting for more than 70 years, and for about the last 50 of those it has been long range only.
    Meaning that if it rains or snows i prefer not to hunt. Sorta like a fly fisherman only being interested in fly fishing.
    Long range as for hunting, should be separated into 2 different catagories, and the equipment used would differ for both.
    First off, the locations where we hunt will differ considerably, and that alone will dictate how we go about it and the equipment we use.
    I would call it semi long range for shots up to about 500 yds, and long range beyond that distance.
    Without proper equipment, and another person spotting shots, we really shouldnt be hunting at the longer distances.
    But regardless of the location, the distance we can hunt with any chance of success is always determined by the elements, and not our choice of equipment.
    Fact is that the vast majority of all long range kills are considerably less than 1000 yds regardless of the location or skill level of the shooter.
    Atmospheric conditions will of coarse have some affect on the performance level of cartridges. In the eastern part of the country, a 300 Win Mag for example wouldnt perform the same at the longer distances as it would in the higher elevations out west. But that said, it will still be more than well enough for shots beyond 1000 yds even in places like NC PA.
    More important than the cartridge, is how well we can shoot them. And more important than even that is how well we can follow up with more rounds accuratly, if that should be necessary, which it often is.
    We can sit in our chairs and envision how we think things might play out on a hunt, but fact is it rarely if ever does in real world situations.
    I would reccomend spending a few weekends visiting places like Ridgeway PA or Williamsport on a match weekend.
    You will find quite a few of the shooters at those places are also long range hunters, ask their opinion about your plans.
    Remember also that with long range target shooting, there’s the target, and thats the distance, and this is how we will all shoot at it.
    Not the same with hunting. First find the target, then determine if it’s legal, then determine how far, etc etc.
    So whats more important, finding the target, or shooting it?

I have zero experience hunting beyond 300 yards and the planned hunt will be 500 yards at max,
    you are absolutely on the money, finding the target is the key. I have hunted dark timber mostly, so this setting is new to me.
    The target will be on the next hill over, this is a new shooting setting for me also.
    I plan on honing my skills to shoot out to 500 yards but I don't have a spotter, so I will need to improvise and use camera for feedback.
    One of my aim is to unload my unused savages in the near future and stick to narrow down my herd.
    I am not averse to 300 winmag, I have couple few boxes of plinking ammo and dies. nothing major invested in 300 wm,
    Before I invest major time in load dev etc, I wanted to pick a platform and stick with it :-)

Yes Sir, visiting Williamsport is on my bucket list, let's see if the tribe will tag along this summer.

I have a lot to learn and skill that need honing,
    newbie from gr, mi.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    I plan on honing my skills to shoot out to 500 yards but I don't have a spotter, so I will need to improvise and use camera for feedback.
    Steel.
    Size the target appropriately to equate at max, size of the kill zone of your quarry.

Helpful to have a dry, sandy berm behind it so you can spot your "misses". With a heavy recoiling magnum like this (more than the .300 win mag), a brake or can not only makes it more pleasant to shoot, but helps a great deal in getting the rifle to settle back on target in time for you to be able to do your own spotting.

Never used a camera, I'm sure they are helpful; but self-spotting can be done effectively without in most cases.

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    Steel.
    Size the target appropriately to equate at max, size of the kill zone of your quarry.

Helpful to have a dry, sandy berm behind it so you can spot your "misses". With a heavy recoiling magnum like this (more than the .300 win mag), a brake or can not only makes it more pleasant to shoot, but helps a great deal in getting the rifle to settle back on target in time for you to be able to do your own spotting.

Never used a camera, I'm sure they are helpful; but self-spotting can be done effectively without in most cases.
    Sound advice.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

""but I have NO clue as to the reamer he will use, should I email him and find out details of his 300 PRC reamer?""

Send them an e mail or call them and they will should send you a copy of their reamer. Since the 300 PRC, the 6.5 PRC and the 6 GT, are all relatively new,so all the barrel makers should have the same reamer.

I have the reamer specs from xcaliber but I missed the president's day sale,

I plan on putting up large card boards with my targets to see my POI,

It is warming up pretty fast here in West MI, I plan on going to the range next week.

Yes, I have a brake and a silencer for 5/28 muzzle,

My factory savage LRH, has a muzzle device already but the thread pitch is funky and will not be compatible with my thunderbeast silencer.
    newbie from gr, mi.