Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 savages

futr_trooper

2014 savages

Has anybody heard anything for some new models this year?

futr_trooper
    Nothing?

I've shot an email off to them twice now and haven't gotten a response to either. Maybe they don't like us anymore? I haven't seen anything posted on FB yet either though, so maybe they're just holding their hand a little closer to the chest this year or there's not much new to report (highly possible with this being a transition year to ATK ownership).
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I expect any model changes to be brought out at the SHOT show, and they'll keep it a secret until then.

futr_trooper
    A lot of savage employees are on this forum, you would think they would give us a hint wink wink

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    I expect any model changes to be brought out at the SHOT show, and they'll keep it a secret until then.
    Actually, new model information typically starts coming out in November/December as that's when all the Distributor Trade shows are. The SHOT Show, which is mostly for dealers and the press, is the last major dealer/distributor show of the year in the U.S. Those that follow are geared more towards the consumer (NRA Show, Great American Outdoor Show, etc.)
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I'd like a lady hunter scaled up to a gentleman hunter size chambered in 7-08 so I could buy one to shoot high power silhouette. There is still time Savage.

dirtdigger
    In addition to any new models that may be coming out I 'd like some existing ones chambered in .223 like the Hog Hunter, Precision Carbine, FCP-K and the like to have an option of 1:7 twist. I don't understand at all why it hasn't already been done.. They are not varmint models by any means therefore no worry of blowing up those lightweights in mid air and it would make much more sense IMHO to have that twist to reliably use 75gr and up pills in those rifles. I feel like Savage as well as other manufacturers are a bit stingy with the twist rate in some of their chamberings. Hello Savage! Do you hear me?

outback andy
    I would just like them to do a better job at Quality control for 2014..

blades
    More chambering in the tactical rifles and keep the 10tr in the lineup

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdigger View Post
    In addition to any new models that may be coming out I 'd like some existing ones chambered in .223 like the Hog Hunter, Precision Carbine, FCP-K and the like to have an option of 1:7 twist. I don't understand at all why it hasn't already been done.. They are not varmint models by any means therefore no worry of blowing up those lightweights in mid air and it would make much more sense IMHO to have that twist to reliably use 75gr and up pills in those rifles. I feel like Savage as well as other manufacturers are a bit stingy with the twist rate in some of their chamberings. Hello Savage! Do you hear me?
    You can run 75gr HPBT and 77gr SMK/CCs just fine in Savage's 1:9 twist.

A 1:7, however, would let folks run the 75/80 A-Max, 80-82gr Bergers, 80/90 SMK, and even the 90gr VLD. Those bullets, even at velocities lower than achievable with a 77, really change the game of what a 223 is capable of at extended ranges.

10P-SR with an 18" 5R 1:7 223 Rem barrel? YES PLEASE

Basic Member

A 50 bmg

Cycler
    Quote Originally Posted by futr_trooper View Post
    A lot of savage employees are on this forum, you would think they would give us a hint wink wink
    Not if they want to keep their jobs.

Kind of surprised nothing has surfaced via their facebook page either... a few years back that was literally the reason I finally broke down and signed up for FB - to be able to view the new product announcement when it came out

dirtdigger
    Quote Originally Posted by BoilerUP View Post
    You can run 75gr HPBT and 77gr SMK/CCs just fine in Savage's 1:9 twist.

A 1:7, however, would let folks run the 75/80 A-Max, 80-82gr Bergers, 80/90 SMK, and even the 90gr VLD. Those bullets, even at velocities lower than achievable with a 77, really change the game of what a 223 is capable of at extended ranges.

10P-SR with an 18" 5R 1:7 223 Rem barrel? YES PLEASE

****.. I didn't know up to now that 10P-SR is available in 223. I have been looking at that model, even asked a couple of places around if they could order one since they aren't on the shelves for the most part. One place could get it in the higher 500 or low 600's dollar range, don't remember for sure but they said only in 308 in two barrel lengths: 18&24" I believe. Would you have an SKU for the .223 gun by a chance? Do they only come with the 18" barrel in that caliber and twist? Is that the only twist for the .223 in that model? The prices around here are probably some of the highest in the continental US so don't be surprised. Today I actually saw a 10TR in a store, woohoo - the first time since I heard about it first time about half a year ago or so. The thing was supposedly unfired but didn't have a box or papers and was one of the Savage's display guns according to a sales guy. The price: $695:-)

Mach2
    ****.. I didn't know up to now that 10P-SR is available in 223. I have been looking at that model, even asked a couple of places around if they could order one since they aren't on the shelves for the most part. One place could get it in the higher 500 or low 600's dollar range, don't remember for sure but they said only in 308 in two barrel lengths: 18&24" I believe. Would you have an SKU for the .223 gun by a chance? Do they only come with the 18" barrel in that caliber and twist? Is that the only twist for the .223 in that model? The prices around here are probably some of the highest in the continental US so don't be surprised. Today I actually saw a 10TR in a store, woohoo - the first time since I heard about it first time about half a year ago or so. The thing was supposedly unfired but didn't have a box or papers and was one of the Savage's display guns according to a sales guy. The price: $695:-)
    Where are you at?

Mach2
    Prices will have to come down for sales to avoid severe drop-offs since sportsmen have stocked up on firearms fearing they won't be able to purchase centerfires if laws change. I don't see the economy expanding so the slack must be found somewhere else.

****.. I didn't know up to now that 10P-SR is available in 223.
    Its not.

But if it was, and it had a 1:7 barrel...I'd buy at least one.

I imagine you could call and special order one with a 1-7" twist... my understanding was that if its some combination of features they already catalog (not necessarily in the same gun) it should be achievable. Since they have the 12 F/TR .223 Rem with a 1-7" twist...

My concern would be whether it would feed worth a dang. I've had a 24" LW .223 Rem barrel with a 1-8" tw in the past, shooting B80VLDs very well (despite a rather short throat for that kind of bullet)... but the problem was that the rounds would feed up and then butt right into the back face of the barrel, a little over 1/16" below the chamber. Single-load slow-fire it wasn't too bad, as you could reach up with a finger and snake the round up into the chamber easily enough, but for mag feed... it'd be a no-go.

Basic Member
    Off topic.

dirtdigger
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    Where are you at?
    I 'm in Southern California.
    Boiler, I re-read that post and.. I guess, I got excited too soon..

So Savage, are you listening to the will of the people? We need 10 P-SR or better yet 10 TR in .223 (5.56 would be even sweeter), with longer throat for VLDs, longer magazine box to fit 'em in - may be a modified 308 length mag. If you offered the Hog Hunter in stainless we wouldn't mind either. After all the Alaskan brush hunter is just that. And could you work on the shape of your stocks please? Just the shape, I could live with the material they are made of. My 11 VT stock is relatively stiff for being what it is and it doesn't even have to be accustock, just somewhat more pronounced pistol grip, a bit higher comb and overall shape that would be more conducive to prone shooting. That's my Christmas wish. May be for 2015..

Yes, back on topic!

brasse
    Agree, more 10TRs, some with target crowns and in 5.56 or 223 Wylde, 7 twist for the 68-77 GRN SMKs.

Or better yet a 10TR in 6.5 Creedmoor with 24 or 26 inch 5R barrel. That would be perhaps half MOA at 300 to 500 yards, or longer.

I sure LOVE my 10TR.

A 1:7 20" 223 and a 20" AND 24" 1:8 6.5 Creedmoor would be highly relevant to my interests.

dirtdigger
    I called Savage today to inquire about 11VT in 22-250 twist rate (which is a run of the mill 1:12 if anyone is curious) and asked the lady when they were gonna release their 2014 line. She said January-February. Looks like they are doing it a little later than normal this time around.

soutthpaw
    Left Handed Bmag.. or any other new Left handed offerings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast