Thread: Suppressing a 99 and 99CD Q's

Suppressing a 99 and 99CD Q's

Hey all:

Has anyone suppressed a 99 on here, such as one of the post-WW2 models? If so, how does a suppressed 99 handle in the field and woods? Also, how much should a 99CD be worth in various conditions and would threading the barrel reduce (or increase?) the value? Finally, would threading the barrel on a 99 model with front sights require the removal of the front sight base? Is there enough material to thread?

Thanks!

Basic Member
    I am just spitballing here Still a new member. But I am pretty sure it would lower the value of the gun if you threaded the barrel. From my reading on classic guns, any modifications that are not period correct ( and sometimes even those ) will tank the value.

I think if you want a handy, suppressed, field gun you would be better getting a modern gun, and modifying that. And there are plenty of modern levers if you really want a lever action.

Basic Member
    IMO, there’s no modern rifle like a 99. Post 1960s have more value as shooters than a collectibles. Besides, it’s not a puppy. You own it, so abuse it as you see fit. You don’t owe anything to future generations of gun collectors.

I considered threading the barrel on my current build of a 243, but my barrel didn’t have enough meat. Your case may be different, depending on the caliber, barrel weight and desired thread. You’ll have to do the research, or ask a gunsmith. It would require a new front sight ramp. It would affect the balance, but you could also shorten the barrel. Suppression wasn’t a high priority for me, so I didn’t pursue it.

Good luck!

Basic Member
    I didn't mean to come across as against it, Just that I do not this it will help the value at all. and that unless he really wanted the savage for some reason ( family heirloom ect... ) it might be a lot easier for parts availability and cost of work for a newer rifle.

Also, not sure what make him like the 99, but if it is for a spitzer round, lever action, magazine feed. You can buy a brand new Browning BLR, or a Henry Long Ranger. And I "think" the Long ranger is a free floating barrel. ( is that even a thing with lever actions??)

Quote Originally Posted by Model24 View Post
    IMO, there’s no modern rifle like a 99. Post 1960s have more value as shooters than a collectibles. Besides, it’s not a puppy. You own it, so abuse it as you see fit. You don’t owe anything to future generations of gun collectors.

I considered threading the barrel on my current build of a 243, but my barrel didn’t have enough meat. Your case may be different, depending on the caliber, barrel weight and desired thread. You’ll have to do the research, or ask a gunsmith. It would require a new front sight ramp. It would affect the balance, but you could also shorten the barrel. Suppression wasn’t a high priority for me, so I didn’t pursue it.

Good luck!
    Thanks! I agree, if I'm doing a suppressed lever gun, its going to be 99 or bust. There is .45-70 but I'd prefer to stick with a modern, flat-shooting cartridge. I was thinking of a .308 99. I was also thinking of cutting the barrel back to 20" or so and moving the front sight back to work with the new barrel length and threads if necessary. Suppression is a main priority for this project.

I think the thread needed would be 5/8x24. Did Savage ever sell a medium or heavy contour 99? I searched on here for threads on suppressed 99s but didn't find anything. As far as I can tell from this article, the answer is no:

https://www.savageshooters.com/conte...l-99-do-I-have

Basic Member
    Kalabaddon, Please forgive me if I sounded short. I’m an Engineer with minimal social skills. All of your points are valid. If you’re listing modern(ish) levers with box mags, don’t leave out the Winchester 88.

Stockwell, You might have to re-barrel. Barrel blanks are reasonably priced. The gunsmithery for fitting will probably be the bigger bite. Plus bluing. The old barrel would probably have $80+ scrap value.

One of the older hands here should be able to answer your question about heavy barrel from the factory.

Basic Member
    Kalabaddon, Please forgive me if I sounded short. I’m an Engineer with minimal social skills. All of your points are valid. If you’re listing modern(ish) levers with box mags, don’t leave out the Winchester 88.

Stockwell, You might have to re-barrel. Barrel blanks are reasonably priced. The gunsmithery for fitting will probably be the bigger bite. Plus bluing. The old barrel would probably have $80+ scrap value.

One of the older hands here should be able to answer your question about heavy barrel from the factory.

No problem, Ditto if I sounded odd in my reply, I am socially awkward a lot of times. Also thanks for the info about the 88! I will have to check that one out. That one skipped under my radar ( I like these type of guns and have been looking into the different types).

Huh. If re-barreling is a potential consideration, then I think I'll investigate the pros and cons of an integral suppressor. That would solve a lot of problems such as handling, etc. I only intend to shoot this gun suppressed.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kalabaddon View Post
    No problem, Ditto if I sounded odd in my reply, I am socially awkward a lot of times. Also thanks for the info about the 88! I will have to check that one out. That one skipped under my radar ( I like these type of guns and have been looking into the different types).
    And just to warn you, 88s are commonly found with cracked stocks, too. The 88 was the only Winchester to benefit from the post ‘64 changes. Collectors ignore them for the most part, so prices can be reasonable.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C. Stockwell View Post
    Huh. If re-barreling is a potential consideration, then I think I'll investigate the pros and cons of an integral suppressor. That would solve a lot of problems such as handling, etc. I only intend to shoot this gun suppressed.
    This project sounds fascinating. Please keep us posted.