Banned

"inexpensive?" 2000 yd group and score based on a 111 action

this is a "inexpensive" 2000 yard group and score rifle
    "hunter" class under 18 lbs
    boyds varmint stock laminate
    stock 111 la recvr plus a thicker recoil lug
    timney trigger
    krieger mtu 28" bbl 8" straight at 1.250, then taper to .965,
    will be match 300 win mag, neck turned, muzzle 3/4-24 for 9" suppressor( already own, so no cost)
    egw 0 moa hd base, ivey 150 moa adjustable rings( got them 1/2 off) and 12-42x nf scope..(blew the budget there)
    object is to shoot 220 solids at over 2800
    shot off a hunting bipod and rear bag
    if there is room i will add lead to the butt.

i have the reamer, and a throater, and a lathe

this is called "inexpensive" because the other rifle i am building
    is the next class up. it has a 40 lb limit, i will be under 20.
    but i am probably over $7000 in parts in that rifle.

Pictures or it didn't happen.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Sounds like a great plan. There is a 2K yard shoot off in MT., I think your build fits right in. I was day dreaming of a similar build in 300 PRC. Good luck, keep us in the loop.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Evlshnngns View Post
    Sounds like a great plan. There is a 2K yard shoot off in MT., I think your build fits right in. I was day dreaming of a similar build in 300 PRC. Good luck, keep us in the loop.
    i am a founding member of elite long range the group that does the 2k shoots in townsend mt

Banned
    i can't afford pic's on my budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Pictures or it didn't happen.

Banned
    there is either a time or post count lock on being able to post pics...so no pics, not posts..lol

I need for pics

Banned
    Pics are very easy. I load everything from Imgur.

Not for nothing, but there does come a point where ya need to show off your wares. “Talking” is fine & well for specifics, but people on forums are “visual”. We want to see. And with the many free third party host sites(like Imgur I mention), there really is no excuse.

Ill say you certainly made quite a step in progress Mike! From a couple stock Savages in 308, to disassembly of your 111 bolt for the first time, to building this all in the last few years...and another FAR more advanced! Impressive!

Banned
    HERE IS THE PROBLEM
    i do not load my pics on servers just to put them on a third spot.
    all the sites i belong to i link from MY photos, I do not advertise for a third party.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Pics are very easy. I load everything from Imgur.

Not for nothing, but there does come a point where ya need to show off your wares. “Talking” is fine & well for specifics, but people on forums are “visual”. We want to see. And with the many free third party host sites(like Imgur I mention), there really is no excuse.

Ill say you certainly made quite a step in progress Mike! From a couple stock Savages in 308, to disassembly of your 111 bolt for the first time, to building this all in the last few years...and another FAR more advanced! Impressive!

Banned
    Using an image host is NO different than belonging to an open forum like this and every other! So, it’s not a problem, and is borderline excuse.

But if you are so dead set against free image hosting sites, I would be happy to PM my email to you. You can send me the pics via email & I’ll host them on my Imgur page & link them here. Would be my pleasure Mike.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinco View Post
    i am a founding member of elite long range the group that does the 2k shoots in townsend mt
    Give me one guess as to who runs that group. lol
    I do agree with you on posting pictures.
    Why cant it be as simple as Emailing directly from the camera?

Banned
    It is guys...really.

Heres a new butt stock I’m working on. Posting this took me about 40 seconds! (Loading to Imgur and linking BBcode here.)

Use this. https://m.imgur.com/

Banned
    here is the org site http://elitelrc.com/
    donovan moran runs the site.....long range competitors only.
    names are on accurate shooter in long range forum
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Give me one guess as to who runs that group. lol
    I do agree with you on posting pictures.
    Why cant it be as simple as Emailing directly from the camera?

Banned
    except i have to go load to a third party ,,,a step i do not currently do WITH ANY SITE i belong to.
    just like sending them to you is an extra step.
    it is just silly and a waste of time.
    this software supports user uploads WITHOUT a third party.
    Using an image host is NO different than belonging to an open forum like this and every other! So, it’s not a problem, and is borderline excuse.

But if you are so dead set against free image hosting sites, I would be happy to PM my email to you. You can send me the pics via email & I’ll host them on my Imgur page & link them here. Would be my pleasure Mike.

You are right Mike, however this site is small based on the visitor count compared to the big sites and the rate advertisers pay is low. Jim has chosen to have a small fee for "Team Members" So that he can pay for the extra storage. A basic member does not have the permission to upload photos. If you have them on another site, copy and paste them if you want to. If you want to upload them to a free storage site you can do that. Otherwise it is pay to play here. I find a work around, Dave does a work around. We understand your convictions and are glad to have a man with your experience on the forum. It is what it is.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Banned
    I do agree Mike, about online forums and their abilities. I think it’s disgraceful for a forum to charge “members fees”, when they have site sponsors. The only reason they are generating sponsors is because of the traffic through the forum. US! WE are the reason for sponsors. So charging a fee, when it’s the members generating sponsors is well, it’s greed!

And I agree with Rob. Work arounds are good! See a problem...solve it. It’s what I do. And of course I enjoy speaking with others in the know, and your contribution is very much appreciated Mike. Just it gets to a point where people expect to see pics at some point. We all exist here in words...digital code-like the Matrix! Pics make things feel real. Others all the talk could simply be a figment of one’s imagination. Especially when they make every excuse NOT to provide pictures. (I’m not saying it is that Mike..I’m simply making a point of how it can look eventually)

Banned
    if you go to gunboards forums, bigbore, 338 edge, you will see pic of my
    other 2000 yd group and score rifle, a work in progress also.

Banned
    I’m not a member, so can’t see the pics...AR10AR15 Man. HEY!!! That should be MY name, LOL! Built enough to equip a small army! Greatest rifle EVER! Been kicking ARSE & taking names for over 55years!

Banned
    does not cost to join or post pics( cough cough)..so join more guns!
    I’m not a member, so can’t see the pics...AR10AR15 Man. HEY!!! That should be MY name, LOL! Built enough to equip a small army! Greatest rifle EVER! Been kicking ARSE & taking names for over 55years!

Banned
    i just got in a single bullet to mock up from.
    it is a cutting edge 220 lazer single feed
    a normal 300 win mag is 3.34
    a mil mk248mod1 is 3.5 (220 SMK)
    mine is a mere 3.95
    i can load, i cannot extract without pulling the bolt!

Basic Member
    No big deal, just take a Dremel and grind away on the back end of the port. lol
    Seriously, I have opened up a few ports for the reason you cite.
    One was on a 40xb which had a 308 length port. I could get a live one in, "300 wby case", but not out without pulling the bolt.
    The rinky dink Rem bolt release was a pain so I removed that. But that allowed the bolt to just fall out unless it was closed when the gun was picked up and when there's snow on the ground it adds to the problem.
    Another was a Hart#4 custom action, also 308 length.
    I had converted that to a 30x378, but left the Rem size bolt face as a standard mag size and turned down the case rims. Actually it was an early version of a 300 ultra mag. But that action had a nice bolt stop/release on the side of the action, so it wasent as big a deal as dealing with the 40x. I still have the 40x, but it now has a Saco type side bolt release I had Bruce Baer install for me.
    If you ever take a trip east on I 80, when you get to the Kylertown exit in PA, get off and you will be in easy walking distance of Cutting Edge. Very nice and very new facility with lots of nice Elk and Mule deer mounts taken mostly in Idaho. Our camp is about 20/25 crow fly miles from there. You will need a tight twist to use his bullets, like an 8 for his 300 gr 338s.

Banned
    WELL MY KRIEGER BBL IS A 9 twist, correct for this bullet. the real kicker is that my bbl wait time was TWO WEEKS, while most wait months.
    it will be here monday.
    and i am looking at 275's in my 338 edge, 1/9.35

No big deal, just take a Dremel and grind away on the back end of the port. lol
    Seriously, I have opened up a few ports for the reason you cite.
    One was on a 40xb which had a 308 length port. I could get a live one in, "300 wby case", but not out without pulling the bolt.
    The rinky dink Rem bolt release was a pain so I removed that. But that allowed the bolt to just fall out unless it was closed when the gun was picked up and when there's snow on the ground it adds to the problem.
    Another was a Hart#4 custom action, also 308 length.
    I had converted that to a 30x378, but left the Rem size bolt face as a standard mag size and turned down the case rims. Actually it was an early version of a 300 ultra mag. But that action had a nice bolt stop/release on the side of the action, so it wasent as big a deal as dealing with the 40x. I still have the 40x, but it now has a Saco type side bolt release I had Bruce Baer install for me.
    If you ever take a trip east on I 80, when you get to the Kylertown exit in PA, get off and you will be in easy walking distance of Cutting Edge. Very nice and very new facility with lots of nice Elk and Mule deer mounts taken mostly in Idaho. Our camp is about 20/25 crow fly miles from there. You will need a tight twist to use his bullets, like an 8 for his 300 gr 338s.

Basic Member
    No doubt they had the barrel in their inventory and just needed to turn it to your specs.
    I got a barrel from Brux a few years back in a week after I confirmed the order.

Even the 250 gr Cutting Edge didnt work well in my 10 twist 338, yet both the Berger and SMK 300s both do.
    My son has a 9 on his 338x378 and they work well in that also as do the 285 Hornadys.
    C E dosent play mind games with customers by posting BC numbers on the boxes.

Banned
    not even "needed to turn it to your specs."...just in inventory.

it is bullet LENGTH, not weight that established twist requirement. solid copper is longer per weight

No doubt they had the barrel in their inventory and just needed to turn it to your specs.
    I got a barrel from Brux a few years back in a week after I confirmed the order.

Even the 250 gr Cutting Edge didnt work well in my 10 twist 338, yet both the Berger and SMK 300s both do.
    My son has a 9 on his 338x378 and they work well in that also as do the 285 Hornadys.
    C E dosent play mind games with customers by posting BC numbers on the boxes.

Banned
    bbl is in the lathe
    other things are in the way time wise.
    i have a match on sunday i have to get ready for.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast