Thread: Bolt Reassembly Timing Question.

thomae

Bolt Reassembly Timing Question.

A few questions about reassembling a bolt.

I have adjusted the firing pin stop nut to provide the correct amount of firing pin protrusion.
    What should I consider when I adjust the cocking piece (the round piece that threads onto the back of the firing pin and through which is the hole into which the cocking pin is inserted)?
    - I presume that I don't want the cocking pin to bottom out on the cocking ramp when the rifle is fired as the firing pin stop nut should limit the forward movement of the firing pin. (Is this presumption correct?)
    - The more I back it off the cocking piece, the easier it is to get over the "hump" in the cocking ramp (easier bolt lift), but that also takes some of the pressure off the firing pin spring.
    - So...what is the methodology for setting the cocking piece at its optimal distance? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

reference:
    In this diagram, from the Numrich website,
    the cocking piece is part 11B
    the cocking pin is 12A
    the firing pin stop nut is 11F

Basic Member

Re: Bolt Reassembly Timing Question.

The cocking piece should be adjusted so that in the fired position, the cocking pin is free to rotate and/or wiggle. Means that with firing pin assy forward, firing pin travel is NOT stopped by the cocking pin, but IS stopped by the 11F firing pin stop nut bevel hitting the corresponding female bevel in the bolt body.
    Moving turning the cocking pin backwards reduces cocking force/firing pin whack. Eventually the primer won't fire.
    I'm guessing that fiddling with f.p. protrusion and f.p. stop nut would get to optimum low cocking force and still firing the primer---but I've never done it and don't know.
    I'm enormously strong and never had a problem with bolt opening or closing force.
    Also never lie.
    joe b.

stangfish

^ well put. The cocking pin should stop just short of the bottom of the bolt housing window.

Basic Member

After you set the FP protrusion, install the spring and the lock washer, then compress the spring and thread the cocking piece on. Adjust the cocking piece until the spring is compressed to a length of 1.900" for a short action, 2.600" for a long action.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

thomae

Thank you very much. ;D