Thread: New stock for 12FV - Am I about to mess up?

Team Savage

New stock for 12FV - Am I about to mess up?

I recently picked up a couple of 112V (J-series stocks).

They're for the intermediate action, about 1/4" or so longer than a current short action.

I think I'm going to work on the inletting to accept my 12FV. The trigger area and recoil lug will need the adjustment as well as the front action screw will need to be re-drilled. I'm ok with having a single shot rifle. I'll glass bed everything when I'm done. Probably add pillars too.

Any reason that I shouldn't do this? One of the stocks has some real nice grain to it as well as weight(which I'd like more of). I think it should look pretty good when I'm done.

If you feel confident doing this project and have needed tooling, have at it. Let us know how it goes.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Team Savage
    I think I'm only going to have to relocate the tang. Trigger seems to work as best I can tell. Should be simple enough. Just need to sharpen my chisel.

Team Savage
    Started today. part of this will be taking the action to single shot. I was thinking of filling in the magazine opening with an SSS feed ramp. Does anyone have pictures of how they fit the action? Specifically, how much hangs below the action.

Quote Originally Posted by Balvar24 View Post
    Started today. part of this will be taking the action to single shot. I was thinking of filling in the magazine opening with an SSS feed ramp. Does anyone have pictures of how they fit the action? Specifically, how much hangs below the action.
    Not very much. Unfortunately wife is sleeping and opening the safe wakes her up. She's a red headed Puerto Rican. I won't push my luck for a forum stranger, no matter how nice he seems otherwise :)

Team Savage
    Got the pillars made and stock drilled for the new action. Also opened the recoil lug area up to accept the shorter action.

Question - should I strip the old finish before or after I bed the rifle?

I'm thinking bed first.

Basic Member
    Got the pillars made and stock drilled for the new action. Also opened the recoil lug area up to accept the shorter action.

Question - should I strip the old finish before or after I bed the rifle?

I'm thinking bed first.
    Personally i would finish the stock after. Things can happen when bedding, removing the action, etc. Its kind of like painting the car after you put the motor in.

Basic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	06H436ymSZ6q14u8T0ZH7w.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	7906

I'll try to post a pic this weekend for you. I bought several of the single feed ramps from SSS and am installing them in my bench rifles, along with one I am building now that just happens to have a BVSS stock that I am modifying to fit a 4.4 action screw spacing action.

The feed ramp can be retained in position by epoxying in place or by using the spring feeder from your internal magazine. That is how I did my first installation, by using the spring. The drawback to that is that you can push the ramp down into the magazine well and possibly get it cocked and out of place requiring some field disassembly, so I'll probably go with epoxy and solid block as a backup on the current build.

As for the stock, what with BVSS stocks at a premium when you can find one to fit a 4.4 spacing action, I bought one off numrich made for 4.24 spacing, and it turned out to be super easy to modify. This stock has a much heavier forward pillar insert than my other (later model) BVSS stock. I punched out the pillar and temporarily installed the action. The front screw hole in the action was within the diameter of the hole in the stock, so this made things easy. I put a long 1/4 inch bolt with the head cut off into the front action screw position, and waxed everything good. I filled the stock hole with Devcon 10110 and gently slid the action into place, put the rear screw in place but not tight, and clamped the action into the stock with large rubber bands that I keep from blood draw visits. Those work great, BTW.

I smoothed the epoxy on the underside of the stock and left it slightly proud, to be sanded off later. Of course I put tape all around the hole before starting to prevent the epoxy from sticking where it wasn't wanted. Once the epoxy was set but not fully hardened, I removed the action, razored off the excess and let it fully cure. Now I had a the location of the forward screw hole correctly set to the rear screw.

I set the stock in my drill press, chucking up a 1/4 drill rod to locate the stock correctly, then clamping in place. Using a Forstner bit I counter bored the stock to fit the pillar I had removed, then thru-drilled to complete the hole. I had to go back and counter bore it a bit deeper to make sure the pillar had room to touch the action. I'll epoxy bed that in place later as I bed the stock. If I can find a decorative escutcheon to cover the new pillar hole, the modification would be all but invisible. As it is now, there is a small amount of epoxy showing.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Team Savage
    About to go together. Had to relocate the recoil lug and open things up a bit for the accu-trigger. The front action screw had to move about 1/8th. Been a while since I bedded an action. I did a functional job, but the aesthetics could be better. Same goes for the finish job. I may have to revisit with some more Tung Oil. All in all, I like it better than the plastic fantastic stock that it came in.

Team Savage

Looks good to me!

Quote Originally Posted by PhilC View Post
    Looks good to me!

Me too. I'm wondering if you would have moved the back screw if you still would have had to move the recoil lug and open up the trigger inlet. Looks good though!!!!
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    If I'd relocated the rear screw, the trigger, etc. would have had to move too. The hole for the recoil lug was easy enough to relocate with a chisel. Converting to single shot simplified matters greatly.

Basic Member
    About to go together. Had to relocate the recoil lug and open things up a bit for the accu-trigger. The front action screw had to move about 1/8th. Been a while since I bedded an action. I did a functional job, but the aesthetics could be better. Same goes for the finish job. I may have to revisit with some more Tung Oil. All in all, I like it better than the plastic fantastic stock that it came in.

Back side of those old plans and a majic marker make for some good targets.
    Draw a few prairie dog pics on them for practice. lol

If I'd relocated the rear screw, the trigger, etc. would have had to move too. The hole for the recoil lug was easy enough to relocate with a chisel. Converting to single shot simplified matters greatly.

I read your earlier post to say you had to move the lug. You stated tang. My apologies for the confusion. That is going to be one handsome rifle Balvar24.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    Gopher getter. Still needs a couple coats of Tung Oil.