Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 350 Legend Cartridge

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Lots of better cartridges, but most of them aren't legal for deer hunting in many of the midwest states so it serves a purpose - especially for those who don't want to build a custom, don't reload, and/or don't want a gun that kills from both ends when you pull the trigger.

Hmm, so for people who don’t reload & under ammunition laws that need an intermediate power, straight wall case, Rimless cartridge for hunting and don’t want to build anything.

Hmm, seems like about as small group of people as the Transvestite community... And the country is catering to that tiny group of people! So why not this one I guess..LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hoback View Post
    Hmm, so for people who don’t reload & under ammunition laws that need an intermediate power, straight wall case, Rimless cartridge for hunting and don’t want to build anything.

Hmm, seems like about as small group of people as the Transvestite community... And the country is catering to that tiny group of people! So why not this one I guess..LOL!
    Well Dave, it's nice to see you have no problem belittling all those deer hunters in the states of Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Michigan and Ohio who fall under such cartridge restrictions and to whom such a cartridge might appeal to - simply because you personally aren't impressed by it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Banned
    Wasn’t belittling any hunters Jim. I apologize it seemed like that to you. Was simply making a political joke. I don’t have any problem with any caliber. Just don’t think there is anything “new” to discover.

Seems s every other week another fancy this case, or “ultra efficient” that cartridge comes out. But it’s really just rehashing the same stuff in a slightly different way and giving it a fancy name. I’m just not a “fan boy”.

I do apologize though you were offended. I really didn’t mean that the way you it seemed to you.

eat poop

Wasn’t belittling any hunters Jim. I apologize it seemed like that to you. Was simply making a political joke. I don’t have any problem with any caliber. Just don’t think there is anything “new” to discover.

Seems s every other week another fancy this case, or “ultra efficient” that cartridge comes out. But it’s really just rehashing the same stuff in a slightly different way and giving it a fancy name. I’m just not a “fan boy”.

I do apologize though you were offended. I really didn’t mean that the way you it seemed to you.
    I was just razzing you a little as well in return.

I don't however see any comparison between the .30 carbine and the .350 Legend. For starters, the .30 Carbine wouldn't be legal in any of these states because it doesn't meet the .35 caliber restriction. Secondly, who's building guns today chambered for the .30 Carbine and what rifle has it ever been offered in other than the M1 Carbine of the WWII era? I sure can't think of any off the top of my head.

Despite Winchester's feeble marketing team trying to make it sound more awesome and appealing than it really is by making extremely odd comparisons and bold claims that hold little water, the fact remains this cartridge was designed to serve one purpose and one purpose only. It wasn't designed to light the world on fire, nor was it designed to outperform an existing cartridge. What it was designed for was to meet the specific requirements of the hunting regulations in the aforementioned states that don't allow the use of more popular and well established bottleneck centerfire cartridges. That's it, plain and simple. And to that end they succeeded and the cartridge does just that.

Are there other cartridge that would be legal in these states "better"? That really depends on your definition of "better" and what criteria you're using to make that determination.

Does a .450 Bushmaster offer a similar trajectory and more energy on target? Sure - but at the cost of increased recoil and feeding issues (ask anyone who's purchased a Savage bolt gun in .450 Bushmaster how it feeds from the magazine).

What about the .50 Beowolf you ask? A great cartridge, but far as I know the only off-the-shelf way to shoot it is on the AR platform and a lot of people don't want to hunt with or simply don't like the ergo's of AR's. Ammo is also an issue as you're not going to find it sitting on most dealers shelves and there's only a couple boutique ammunition manufactures that make it.

.45-70? Great round and no issue with ammo availability, but extreme overkill for whitetail deer and more recoil than many people would like - especially in fairly light lever guns. Handloaders can load it down to address the recoil issue to a great extent, but then the ballistic advantages that it offers go out the window.

.444 Marlin? Pretty much the same situation as the .45-70, but with ammo and guns being less abundant.

.450 Marlin? Same as .444 Marlin

.375 Winchester? Obsolete with very limited bullet selection, and all but necessitates loading your own these days since Winchester only does a small run of their one load once in a blue moon.

.38-55? Great classic cartridge that is plenty accurate, and the ammo availability is much better than that of it's younger cousin (.375 Win), but it's still fairly obscure in this day and age and finding ammo on a local dealers shelf is a rarity. Most factory ammo is also downloaded to be safe in older guns which hurts down range ballistics.

.357 Magnum? Ammo and new gun availability is good, but it's pretty much limited in reach to 100 yards before it starts dropping like a brick and bullet expansion starts to be a concern. Very popular here in Ohio in lever guns for deer hunting, but have heard a lot of "walking wounded" stories as well.

.44 Magnum? Probably the best option out there prior to the .350 Legend coming on scene. Ammo and gun availability isn't an issue, though ammo can be a bit pricey.

So yeah, the .350 Legend fills a void - albeit a small one. If Winchester hadn't been so overly concerned with it working in AR15's it could have been a lot better, but it is what it is and it does what it needs to do.

I think where you and many others get hung up on with this new cartridge is that you're solely looking at it from the perspective of your own personal preferences. That's fine, but you can't simply ignore the fact that not everyone has the same needs and preferences as you do. A lot of folks don't reload so availability of factory ammo is a must (a big part of why the 6.5 Creedmoor is as popular as it is). A lot of folks don't like being beaten to death by the recoil of the bigger cartridges that would offer better terminal performance. A lot of people don't need a hyper velocity super efficient cartridge loaded with high B.C. bullets because all of their shooting is going to be inside of 200 yards. Maybe some people want something that offers better accuracy than most lever guns can offer - which for many of the rounds mentioned above is the only type of rifle they're offered in.

For folks like those the .350 Legend is a great option.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Banned
    Oh I get it for sure. Honestly I’m not hung up on anything. Lik I said, I don’t dislike any cartridge. Even the ones I see no point in. And I do get there has to be a niche market. This is where text gets in the way. People think they “hear” some kind of attitude inflection, when there is none. LOL! These cartridges don’t bother me in any way. I would wager though that most people are interested in it because it’s NEW, not because they are in the small group that could possibly benefit.

Thank you you for sharing that Jim. A lot of good info in your post. And a good lesson is wisdom.

It is getting crazy like that. I mean you tell somebody their idea is stupid and the next thing you know they are insulted. People read way to much inflection into things.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Some of us still have a sense of humor. I smirked when I read the post .
    I have the 357 AR only because I am a 35 cal slut and wanted something that the next guy didn't have. Now that the Legend is out, I have to explain my round to the ignorant

My state lets you hunt with any centerfire as long as it in not a machine gun. I didn't build mine to hunt with, it is a p/u gun that will dispatch most things I come across.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    I have requested a new 110 Hog Hunter in .350 Legend to review and hope to receive it in the next week or so with any luck (want to have the review up by Nov 1st if possible since firearms season opens mid-November in a couple states)...
    Anxiously awaiting your review...

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaPapa View Post
    Anxiously awaiting your review...
    Same here!
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Just finally got the rifle in late last week - so much for getting my article out before firearm season opened in Iowa, Illinois and Michigan.

We did slug the barrel though and the bore groove diameter on the Savage barrels is .355" (9mm).

Basic Member
    I got tired of waiting for Winchester to ship the XPR SR in 350 Legend so I placed an order today for a 110 Hog Hunter in 350 Legend.
    Silencerco just announced the Omega 36M so I'll be ordering one of those as well as soon as my dealer gets one.

Basic Member
    They should have used .357 diameter pistol bullets and basically created a larger 357 mag much like the 450 bushmaster is a longer 454 casull/460 smith

Basic Member
    I sent an inquirey to Winchester ammo today asking about the availablity of their Super Suppressed ammo for the 350 Legend. They advised it would be January.

What bottom metal and mag did you use? I am looking to take a top bolt release Model 10 and put on an X-Caliper barrel and was wondering how to feed the sucker

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaPapa View Post
    I sent an inquirey to Winchester ammo today asking about the availablity of their Super Suppressed ammo for the 350 Legend. They advised it would be January.
    Wonder if it will expand and distance....

Basic Member
    Just curious here, no hating, but what are the reasons for limiting rifles to straight walled cases? Since the .444 and 45-70 are included, I fail to see striking power as a reason.
    In Virginia we have to have greater than .23 caliber for deer, bear, or elk.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12