Thread: Savage Stevens 200 223 ???

mysavagerifle

Savage Stevens 200 223 ???

Ive got a Savage Stevens 200 in 223 for Coyote Hunting and its really accurate and I like it and all but, the top feed loading sucks for me and I got small hands. I struggle with loading this gun. I want to convert it to a detachable magazine but dont know how to go about doing that. i just want a synthetic stock simple rig thats not rediculously pricey. i didnt know if i can get an older style savage stock with mag and trigger guard and thats all or is it harder than that? i saw a conversion that makes it a single shot and helps your bolt guid it in the chamber. I might have to go that route if I cant convert it to a magazine rifle.

Any help appreciated

M.O.A.
    stockys has bottom metal but i dont know if it will go right in the stevens stock or not. im sure if it can be done you will have to cut the hole out for it.

mysavagerifle

savage 200

Quote Originally Posted by M.O.A. View Post
    stockys has bottom metal but i dont know if it will go right in the stevens stock or not. im sure if it can be done you will have to cut the hole out for it.
    I would rather find a replacement stock anyway. The Stevens 200 stock flexes with bipod. I wonder if i call savage if they could hook me up. I saw hogue makes stocks for magazine rifles. It might be even better to find a wood stock.

M.O.A.
    look at stockys they have just about any stock you can thing of. and you can find them on this forum and click and your there

Basic Member
    IMO by the time you do a detachable magazine swap/stock to match etc its going be more than if you just bought a Savage with the removeable magazine in the 1st place.
    As stated Stockys has that covered, parts can be found easy enough here also.
    The single shot follower would be the most easiest/ fastest way, but it limits you to just that.

mysavagerifle

savage 200

Quote Originally Posted by 5spd View Post
    IMO by the time you do a detachable magazine swap/stock to match etc its going be more than if you just bought a Savage with the removeable magazine in the 1st place.
    As stated Stockys has that covered, parts can be found easy enough here also.
    The single shot follower would be the most easiest/ fastest way, but it limits you to just that.
    Yeah I realize that it will be more costly than if i would have just bought one w/dbm but the deal was there when i got the rifle so i jumped on it. Now that ive got the rifle I want to make it to where i enjoy it. If i buy another rifle Il just get a 243. The savage 200 223 i got shoots so well, Id hate to to let it go. I bought for varment hunting. Ive got a Vortex Diamondback on it 4x12x40 AO with dead nutz game reaper mount. My scope is so low that the AO barely clears. Its probably 3 or 4 sheets of paper in clearance. Also it make loading the top feed a chore. The Vortex is ok but I wish i would have went with something else like a burris. Im a burris fan but thought id give Vortex a whirl. Ive got a Burris Black diamond 6x24x50mm on a savage 116 30-06 and its great. I dont care for nikon circle bdc reticles but like nikon. Wish they would just use dots or lines instead of circles. For the money redfield looks pretty good.

Id like DBM but may go the single shot route just makes hunting coyote harder is all. If i find used parts I may get by cheaper.

handsomerob
    You should check out Sharp Shooter Supply. They have dbm stuff and will inlet your rifle for the factory dbm.

Basic Member
    SSS will do a good job, but the wait might be a hair puller from what I read.

What I did was buy two model elevens for projects (set up for detachable magazines) when they were locally on sale ......... $326 with cheap scopes and magazines ........ one a .308 and the other a .243 ........

Converted one to a .223 bolt face and then bought a .223 detachable magazine (you gotta shop for those magazines!) and in my case, I had a .204 Ruger barrel (model 10) found on this web site waiting for a donor action.

I finally capped off the project with a red blade accutrigger and the target sear ..... it's breaking around 10 oz. and the dogs are not liking it one iota!!

.............. it groups in the low .3" with Hdy factory and the mid two's with handloads .......... with the tuppeware stock ........... I'm sure a Duramax would be more reliable in the field and that would likely be my last upgrade ........ as if that's possible .... LOL!

So if you could stand another Savage rifle you might consider buying one for a donor, say in .243 with DBM and build your .223 as I did my .204 and if you wanted the .243 as a DBM then send it in to SSS and wait on the second rifle.

I'd also think about spending money on a Duramax stock before I went to SSS with a tuppeware? Ie. have them inlet a better stock instead?

That leads to the next idea: Buy the stock and send that in and keep your existing rifle as it is until the different stock is done?

Three 44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 09-07-2012 at 09:32 AM.