Thread: Base/rings for Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 on Savage 116 LA

captainjoe

Base/rings for Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 on Savage 116 LA

After hours and hours of research, I have decided to purchase a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 for my Savage 116 300 Win Mag. Does anyone have a suggestion of what brand of base and rings I should buy for this? I plan to put Butler Creek caps on.

Re: Base/rings for Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 on Savage 116 LA

Burris Xtreme bases with Signature Zee rings.

If you need to take your scope on and off I'd go with a Weaver Tactical base and Warne Maxima QD rings.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

You'll love the Zee rings. Once you try them you won't want to use anything else.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

helotaxi

I wasn't too impressed with the Zee rings. The Signature Zee ring...now that a whole different story

You may have to go with a 1-piece base or offset 2-piece mount the scope. Whether you need to or not using a 1-piece will give you a lot more mounting flexibility. I used the EGW bases for a bit but recently got a Weaver tactical base. The two are very similar but the Weaver has full profile slots and a recoil lug for about $10 less. The recoil lug was what first attracted me. For a magnum rifle that might become a more important consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi
    I wasn't too impressed with the Zee rings. The Signature Zee ring...now that a whole different story

You may have to go with a 1-piece base or offset 2-piece mount the scope. Whether you need to or not using a 1-piece will give you a lot more mounting flexibility. I used the EGW bases for a bit but recently got a Weaver tactical base. The two are very similar but the Weaver has full profile slots and a recoil lug for about $10 less. The recoil lug was what first attracted me. For a magnum rifle that might become a more important consideration.
    Your right, I should have clarified that.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67