Thread: Just ordered a Savage 16 FCSS

Basic Member

Just ordered a Savage 16 FCSS

My search preferences were for Accutrigger, Accustock, stainless steel, and detachable box magazine in .223 Rem. I have an EBR in that caliber, otherwise I might have gone for .22-250 Rem chambering. It turns out Savage has only one model meeting all those criteria. So it was an easy decision.

In .223 Remington. It will be a couple weeks before I get it and it's ready to shoot. I'm planning to top it with a Weaver 800360 Tactical 4-20x50 Mil-Dot Riflescope for paper punching and varminting out to maybe 300 yards. I wanted a first focal plain scope and I'm already somewhat familiar with the mildot system although the ranges I'll probably shoot at won't take full advantage of it.

Any forum members with the same or similar set up?

Pictures when available,

ellobo

Re: Just ordered a Savage 16 FCSS

My opinion is you overspent on the scope. Unless you plan on using it on another higher caliber rifle it is gross overkill. I am not knocking your choice, if it floats your boat go for it. I just think the money could be better spent on another barrel or rifle. Good luck.

El Lobo

Uncle Jack

".....My opinion is you overspent on the scope."

I must disagree. IMHO it is impossible to overspend on good optics.

uj

VjjR

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jack
    ".....My opinion is you overspent on the scope."

I must disagree. IMHO it is impossible to overspend on good optics.

uj
    +1

Basic Member

When you get it all set up and ranged you will have to let us know how that scope is.

ellobo

Should have been clearer in what I meant. I think the 20 power is a little much on that caliber. A good quality scope in a 3-9 would probably be adequat and cheaper. I am cheap to begin with and it colors my thinking I guess. I think that power scope would be more suited to a .22-250. I do agree that money spent on good optics is a good investment.
    El Lobo

Basic Member

I thought about the scope and caliber a lot. I have a Savage 12VSS in .308, the possibility of moving the scope around did occur to me. As far as the 20X range being too much, it's cheaper than buying a less expensive scope and a spotting scope for paper punching. That and having a front focal plane configuration limited my options quite a bit.

5wire I have a 16 FCSS in .260 with a Redfield 4x12x40 scope. I have shot hogs out to 300 yds with it and I works well. I am sure the .223 will perform well out of the same rifle. If you remove the action from the stock make sure to go thru the proper re-torque sequence to put it back in. I like my system so well my son bought a 10 Precision with the same removable magazine and accustock but he got in .308 with a shorter 20" heavy barrel. You have a great setup enjoy it.