Thread: Bolt chrome removal

Basic Member

Bolt chrome removal

I have a Stevens 200 and I would like to make the bolt less "shiny". Is there a recommended way to remove the chrome (or whatever is making is shiny)? I have access to a sand blaster at work. I would disassemble the bolt, I'm only concerned with the body.

Recommendations?

Uncle Jack

Re: Bolt chrome removal

"......I have access to a sand blaster at work."

WTF............Go for it!

uj

Basic Member

It isn't chromed. It is polished stainless steel I believe. You could give it a matte appearance with the proper media if you blasted.

Samdweezel05

It is polished stainless. You can blast it to make it matte or scuff it up and paint it.

Basic Member

Thank you sirs!

Basic Member

It's not stainless.....it's 1020 chrome moly tubing and it will rust, especially when blasted if you don't stay on top of it with some rust inhibitor.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Eric in NC

Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter
    It's not stainless.....it's 1020 chrome moly tubing and it will rust, especially when blasted if you don't stay on top of it with some rust inhibitor.
    +1 - if you blast it, parkerize it or do something or it will rust quick.

thomae

You could go "old fashioned " and jewel/engine turn it.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Eric in NC
    +1 - if you blast it, parkerize it or do something or it will rust quick.
    Sorry to dredge this up, but I finally have some time to deal with it. What is on there now to keep it from rusting? It looks like it's 'in the white' but very shiny. I could probably get it parkerized locally relatively inexpensively. What does Savage do on their 10FP's and such?

Thanks!

airaddict

nitride it. $25 from Freedom guns. then you wont have to worry bout corrosion.

brian

Basic Member

wouldn't that be a 41XX tubing?
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

stangfish

A teflon or thin powder coating would minimize wear in the rear of the action. My .$02

Basic Member

blue it with casey birchwood . all mine are black .use the paste, its better. MARK25-06

stangfish

yes Sha-ul. 1020 is low carbon and is easy to mold, bend, weld, machine and usually case hardened. 4130 is probable for Chromemoly tubing..

Basic Member

My bad...the print just says 1020 tubing.

Basic Member

My bad...the print just says 1020 tubing.
    Is the bolt body heat treated in any way? if not it could be a 10XX series steel, however some mfg, prefer 41XX untreated, it is a little stronger than mild, and a lot more consistent quality wise.
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

Basic Member

Yes...what the print says verbatim:
    heat treat, Cn R15N 89 MIN, case depth .012-.015"
    Cn means carbo-nitride,(case harden). The "R15N 89 MIN" has me perplexed. It has something to do with hardness, but the only methods I am familiar with is Rockwell A,B,C scales, Brinell and Shore hardness. Is there another measurement of hardness I have overlooked?

Basic Member

Yes...what the print says verbatim:
    heat treat, Cn R15N 89 MIN, case depth .012-.015"
    Cn means carbo-nitride,(case harden). The "R15N 89 MIN" has me perplexed. It has something to do with hardness, but the only methods I am familiar with is Rockwell A,B,C scales, Brinell and Shore hardness. Is there another measurement of hardness I have overlooked?
    Not that I am aware of, I have some guys on another forum that are metallurgists, maybe they would know.

Basic Member

I blasted it with 80 grit and the Stevens logo came right off and it took on a nice matte finish. I tried the oxpho blue and it turned a weird mottled/swirly light blue color. I blasted that off thinking maybe I left some of the chrome (or whatever coating is on there) on, tried the oxpho blue again with the same results. So, is it made of stainless? If so I will take that coloring off once again and just leave it raw.

Eric in NC

No chrome, no coating, not stainless - just hard. Oxpho blue doesn't work for me unless I rub mutliple coats in with steel wool - you won't be able to do that with the blasted surface.

I would paint it (duracoat works great) or park it (it is hard so the park will not look like you expect). The duracoat is probably your best option since you have already blasted it and roughed up the surface so it will stick good.