Thread: Weight of Accustock

DCM

Weight of Accustock

After reading an old review of the Savage Long Range Hunter and the specs on the Savage site, I thought I would like to have one. When I got to the weight at 8.5 pounds, I changed my mind.

Do the Accustock and two inch longer barrel with a brake add two pounds additional weight. The reason I am asking is that I have been thinking about ordering a LRH without the Accustock.

If I do that, would the Savage Synthetic stock be satisfactory of should I assume that I will also need to order an aftermarket stock?

Thanks

Basic Member

Re: Weight of Accustock

This week the custom shop sent me a Model 16 Weather Warrior weighing 7.86#, no scope, no ammo. I asked the retailer to weigh it upon arrival with bolt and mag box in place. Can only assume the scale is calibrated.

Although stainless, this custom 16 short action is similar to the LRH:
    *24" barrel (non-fluted) no muzzle brake
    *0.70" barrel diameter at the muzzle (Might be same as LRH) (standard sporter is 0.585" dia)
    *Accu-stock in snow camo
    *No cheekpiece

Per your spec of no accustock, this gun would drop a few ounces without the aluminum rail. I am going to give Accu-stock a try for a couple seasons to see how it works. Kinda sure the custom shop said they can build with laminate stocks too.

DCM

Thanks for the reply.

I want the 24 inch (or more) barrel with a brake but with a scope, the LRH looks like the LRH model might hit close to 10 lbs. and I don't want to carry that much weight. I already have one like that.

There is a model 116 that I have seen with a brake but it had a detachable magazine and I don't want that either.

I have tried the Savage Custom shop several times and so far, there have been very long waits on hold so I have not got through yet.

Just to be safe, I will probably have to have one from the custom shop because it is hard to imagine that Accustock weighing 2 lbs. The additional two inches of barrle length and the brake would contribute a little to that 8.5 lbs. (without scope).

DCM

It looks like I was mistaken about the weight of the Accustock.

In looking at the Savage site again, they have several models that would work and that weight less than 7 llbs with the 22 inch barrel and no brake.

Maybe I will just give up on the longer barrel and brake.

I wanted the longer barrel hoping that it would have a little less muzzle blast than a 22 inch barrel and the brake would be nice for sighting in but would not be used in the field. The caliber that I want is 25-06 and my heavy 26" barrel 25-06 has a horrendous muzzle blast. The recoil is not too bad so I may have to do without the brake for now.