Thread: Lapua 260 brass

Basic Member

Lapua 260 brass

I can't believe there have been no posts about the Lapua 260 being available. Back when it was announced they were making it every one was all giddy. Now that it is available no one cares any more?

Re: Lapua 260 brass

Fairly lengthy thread going on Sniper's Hide...

Basic Member

Don't spend any time on that site. Just thought it was funny how people went ga ga over the idea of Lapua brass being offered for the 260, then nothing is said once it is actually available.

helotaxi

Not having a .260 I have only passing interest, but I've yet to see it "available" anywhere. Haven't seen more than placeholders followed by "out of stock" or "On Order" paired with some big number behind a $.

Basic Member

$99 in stock at sinclair when I got mine.

helotaxi

Quote Originally Posted by 319
    $99
    $1 a piece for a standard cartridge with Remington in the name. I'll pass. Lapua is great brass, but...

I drew the line at $65 for .308 which is cheaper than Nosler, Hornady or Norma.

Basic Member

Ok, to each their own I guess. Nosler was right about a buck each, and if they give me 2X more loadings than my Rem brass it will be worth it!

Bruno Shooters Supply has 260 Lapua brass in stock for $0.91/piece.

helotaxi

Quote Originally Posted by 319
    and if they give me 2X more loadings than my Rem brass it will be worth it!
    Good luck with that.

Basic Member

I take it that is a no-go on 2X loadings? That is a bummer!

I got the advice to switch from a guy who shoots in all conditions from -50 to 100(yes, it actually does change that much here) degrees, and he says his Lapua brass gives him about double the life of other brass he has used. If it works with his GAP .308 I don't see why it can't with my .260.

helotaxi

I can promise you that he either is GREATLY exaggerating or he learned how to make brass last after he got the Lapua. There is nothing magic about the stuff. The reason that people like it is that it is consistent and all the queepy prep work is already done.

I started with 300 pieces of Win .243 brass and did all the prep work (size, trim, chamfer, deburr, debur the flash hole). After that I weight sorted them by 0.5gn groups of 50. The total spread of the group was around 4gns. The two median groups were within 0.2gn There were only a few cases outside of 1gn and they got pulled out as sighters. All in all I paid about the same for those 300 cases as 100 Lapua would have cost.

I realize that there isn't a lot of good .260 brass out there. I guess it just comes down to how much your time is worth. Buy Lapua for 2x the price or form .260 brass from Win .308 (or .243 if you have a tight necked chamber) and have 2x the number of cases for the additional cost of your time.

Basic Member

Well, it is too late now, I already paid for em, so I will give em a shot! Being that I don't get to shoot much my time is very valuable, to me any way! I will keep track of my Rem brass vs the Lapua and see what happens.

"I can promise you that he either is GREATLY exaggerating or he learned how to make brass last after he got the Lapua."

Definitely not on the first one, the second is possible but highly unlikely.

helotaxi

Well, I guess there is the third option. Rem brass is crap.

Basic Member

::)

L.H. Clark

I TOTALLY DISAGREE with Helotaxi. Dude......what are you baseing your opinion on that you cannot get more loadings out of Lapua than Remington or winchester or other brass? There is something special about Lapua brass!!! It's called QUALITY. Something that Remington and Winchester (to a lesser degree) totally abandoned around 1964.

It just irks me that people tell relatively "new" shooters opinions based on, well, I don't know what.....because if you really reloaded a lot of rounds and used differing brands of brass, you would NEVER say such a thing. It's ridiculous really.

I can get 15 loadings out of a relatively "medium hot" loading of, say, 6.5 Swede as opposed to 2 to 5 with Prvi Partizan, or Winchester. I haven't had the Remmy brass long enough in this caliber to say, but it aint Lapua, that is obvious.............

I guess the big "secret" that people are basing their multiple loadings of Lapua on is either "annealing" or just Lapua quality.

I aint trying to pick a fight, but seriously..........................give at least educated guesses or opinions..........

r29l20

Good call L.H. Clark. :)

helotaxi

Anecdote is not equal to data. Your experience is one data point. There are a lot more people out there than you and their experiences differ considerably. In fact if you look at one of the posts in your thread about Remington brass, which you are raving about in one thread while arguing that Lapua brass is vastly superior to anything else and there is simply no comparison in this one, there is a nice little chart showing an actual test that someone did on brass life. Amazingly it shows Lapua right in the middle of the pack. It is good because it is consistent, not because it lasts forever.

weewilly

My trouble with Rem. brass for 260 is,rifle neck size is .296-.297, brass neck thickness is .012 to.013 added to .264 bullet is .290 max. Also Rem. primer pockets are not very tight first firing,and some fired about 4 times can be primed with your thumb. Have some old Lapua 6 PPC that has been loaded 15 times that the primer pockets are tighter than some new Rem. I used to think Rem. was the best brass and used a lot of it over the years, but after the last three batches I have bought, no more.

robert d

i als0 had loose primer poc with new rem brsss 7.08

Adam K

I just crawled out from under my rock and didn't even know they were making it. I bought some Lapua 308 to resize but I have a couple 308s that it ended up getting loaded for. I did pick up some Nosler and the quality has been good so far but I've only loaded it 3 times. I'll be interested to see what kind of reviews we get out of the Lapua. Honestly for my 308s it hasn't made a difference, just cuts a few steps out of the loading process.