Thread: Sell the barrel or the bullets

Sell the barrel or the bullets

Sell the Shilen 26" SS small shank .243 Winchester 1/8 twist barrel or the (700) Berger 115gr VLD and (500) DTAC 115gr HPBT.

After 19 shots fired, I really do not think the 1/8 twist is going to give me the stabiliztion needed for the long bullets.

Guess I could all ways trade the bullets down to something lighter.

Anyone know of a reasonably price 1/7 twist .243 barrel out there?

Basic Member

Re: Sell the barrel or the bullets

With 19 shots you haven't given the barrel a fair chance. I would think you would have to shoot 2-3 times that to be fair.
    What yardage are you shooting at. Bullets that long may take 2-300 yds. to fully stabilize.

Samdweezel05

Quote Originally Posted by thirty06
    With 19 shots you haven't given the barrel a fair chance. I would think you would have to shoot 2-3 times that to be fair.
    What yardage are you shooting at. Bullets that long may take 2-300 yds. to fully stabilize.
    Exactly.

If my 1:9.25 VLP .243 barrel will stabilize 105 A-Max's, the 1:8 Shilen certainly
    should stabilize the Bergers. The VLP got so many 1/4" groups with the 105's,
    it got boring. The VLD's can be very tricky to get accuracy, and may require
    a hundred shots being seated at various depths to find that accuracy.

DGD6MM

I have witnessed one of those exact barrels shoot 115 Dtac's out to 850 yards very,very, well. We are not talking .25 MOA, more like .5 to 1 MOA, which is still not bad for the twist being on the edge.

Team Savage

You just probably have not found the right bullet powder combo.

Try some 105 gr Lapua Scenar bullets jammed about 15 thou.

I shot 3/4" groups at 300 yards with that bullet out of a 8 twist 6mm BR Shilen in a non bedded rifle.

82boy

Why do you have to shoot 115gr bullets? I have never seen where they have an advantage over a 105-108 gr bullet. The problem with barrels are they all have there own personality, and will do different things. You can take two identical barrels made from the same manufacture one right after the other, have then chambered by the same smith, using the same tools, and the barrels will behave completely different. Getting into button rifled barrels it is possible that one barrel could be a bit on the fast side or slow side of twist rate. The barrel you have may be right at 1 in 8 or even a bit slower, but either way it should do well with 105-108 gr bullets. Most bullet manufactures state that a 115Gr bullet is for 1 in 7.5 twist or faster barrels. I have gotten 115 gr bullets to stabilize in 1 in 8 twist barrels but you have to run them hard.

To get a faster twist barrel you will more than likely have to go with a cut rifled barrel. I do not know of any manufacture that offers a 1 in 7 twist button rifled barrel. So you are going to have to pony up the money to buy a cut rifled barrel like a Brux, Krieger, Bartline, ETC and have it chambered. You are looking in the area of $400-$500 dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by thirty06
    I would also have to agree with this statement.

racinready300ex

I'd just run some 105-108's in it and see how they do. As someone else said, the Berger VLD's tend to be pretty pickey about seating depth. Most like to be jammed, as a good place to start. Maybe try the berger 108, it's not a VLD and not quite as pickey on the depth but has similar BC.

I have a 26" shilen in 6 BR that is mean with 105 VLD's at 600 yards. Lots on .5 MOA groups at that range, shoots like crap at 100 yards.