Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dangerous game rifle

Cavtrooper94

Re: Dangerous game rifle

I contacted savage about making me a 375 H&H and they said they wouldn't make it. Even though it says on their website that its an option. I would like to have a walnut stocked 375 H&H for Africa and possibly a 416 Synthetic for Alaskan Browns.

Team Savage

You will probably have to put one together although there is a guy here that will let his 375 H+H go. DBM I think.
    It is blued I think, but I want a stainless rifle so I passed.

You could start off with a RUM action and build around that.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cavtrooper94
    I contacted savage about making me a 375 H&H and they said they wouldn't make it. Even though it says on their website that its an option. I would like to have a walnut stocked 375 H&H for Africa and possibly a 416 Synthetic for Alaskan Browns.

Is there a particular reason why they would not build it?
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Cavtrooper94

Didn't say. I had to contact them via internet because i'm in Afghanistan and can't call. I was looking at the e.r. shaw custom rifles built on savage actions. They offer a 375 H&H chambering.

Tracer

I am pro model 70 winchester when it comes to my hunting rifles! All other target rifles and varmint/predator rifles are Savage model 12's. I do have a Remington rifle or two that just stays in the family, one being a .35-Whelen from back in the 1950's.

My latest DGR gun is a 550-Magnum caliber on a CZ-550 magnum action, it came off a CZ-416 Rigby. The .55 caliber rifle will shoot a 700 grain bullet at 2400fps or the 800 grain bullet at 2250fps. It will weigh in at 11-lbs and be Mag Na Ported, along with 2 "mercury" recoil reducers in the stock. It will hold 3 down and one in the chamber. The case is a blown out to max 460 Weatherby. It will have an energy reading of 7500-lbs of energy at the muzzle at 2200fps. The Taylor K.O. scale gives it a 120!

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Tracer
    The .55 caliber rifle will shoot a 700 grain bullet at 2400fps or the 800 grain bullet at 2250fps.
    Ouch

Hatari

I personally hunted with guide as required by law. So I always used as small a gun as I could, and felt assured that my guide wouldn't risk losing his license. I shot my grizzly in Yukon which won my guide a silver buckle, at about 100 yards, with 270win. The bruin didn't get up at first shot, but he was shaking his head trying to get up so I put in another per my guide's preadvice. My guide later said that he was surprised that I shot because he thought it wasn't necessary. I shot a brown Alaskan sow that squared 8'3", at about 180 yards with 30-06 improved. I believe it was 165 gr. bullet. The sow was a very beautiful blond. Then I shot a Russian bear that squared almost 9' with 300winmag, same with Canadian NT polar bear. I never found bears hard to put down, brown or white, and feel that 300 win mag would be entire adequate even for big 10 footers.
    Now, my very huge leopard died promptly from a baited tree by one shot from 7mm rm. I shot two lions at Loliondo, Tanzania, on two seperate hunts. The first one with 375H&H, and he got up roaring. The lion ran a big circle, over open grass field, before, I finished him off running. The second lion was much bigger than the first, and well maned, but not as beautifully maned as the first. At that time I had already shot several big antelope with 270 that I asked my PH to let me use it. Like the first lion, this one was with his brother, and I shot him sitting. The shot was easy like shooting a sitting duck, but again this lion roared and limped off to sit down again about 7-8 yards from where he was first shot shot. He died instantly after second shot. If I had to do it again, my minimum caliber for lion would be 7mm RM with 160gr Nosler PT. I found lion tougher to kill than bears, but most African animals are that way from my experience.
    And for buffs, they have been the hardest to put down. I shot two in Tanzania, and one in Zambia. I Killed one average bull with tw0 shots and another very big bull with three. These were stalked on foot. The big bull took much stalking, but suddenly he he walked over qurious to see what I was doing. Prior to that, I shot another big buff in Zambia not quite as big as the big one in Tanzania. This one was shamelessly chased by Toyota, but took two shots anyway. I never killed buff with just one shot despite having read a lot about one shot buff kills. I was using 375 H&H 300gr Dead tough and Bear Claws plus solids. If I were to hunt buffs aqgain, I'd opt for 416Rm. Infact, That is what I immediately added to my battery.

Basic Member

Man, some of you guys really get around! Amazing, you are very fortunate. After reading these posts, I would be like one poster (sorry don't remember the name) that would have serious issues pulling the trigger on these shoulder cannons. I am not skinny, but at a trim 5'7" and 170lbs, my 45-70 Marlin guide gun, and moderate loads, I do not want to spend a lot of trigger time with it.

Some of the calibers mentioned are almost beyond comprehension.

Hatari

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle
    Man, some of you guys really get around! Amazing, you are very fortunate. After reading these posts, I would be like one poster (sorry don't remember the name) that would have serious issues pulling the trigger on these shoulder cannons. I am not skinny, but at a trim 5'7" and 170lbs, my 45-70 Marlin guide gun, and moderate loads, I do not want to spend a lot of trigger time with it.

Some of the calibers mentioned are almost beyond comprehension.
    I hunted when guided hunts were probably at its cheapest, 1983-1995. I'm 5'7" also, but less at 150lbs. For 300 win mag and above, I wore Past recoil pad, and muzzle brake when possible (.375 H&H).

kevin_stevens
    To resurrect this thread, I just returned from Africa on a plains game hunt, and promptly bought an Alaskan Guide in .375 H&H to take buffalo hunting next year. I think the DGR specs are kind of moot these days when you have to have a PH with a big stick standing next to you anyway; but I still wanted stainless, .375 H&H rather than Ruger, and the open sights fitted. If I'd been willing to go with .375 Ruger I'd have bought a Ruger Alaskan, and if I wanted to spend the money I'd have gotten a Sako Kodiak, with the nice lines and 4 round mag. I still might get a Kodiak if I decide I like shooting the .375 enough to use it for other game.

KeS

Grit #1
    I will stick with my Mauser 98 in .458 Win mag, 25.5" barrel, Lyman ghost peep sight, standard two stage military trigger, fixed floor plate. Same point of impact at 25 yards and 200 yards. It has served me well on all game from plains to Cape. There is no room for compromise.
    Best regards,
    Grit

skypilot
    Never felt under gunned with the .375 H&H.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12